Yikes...Memory Card Error!

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Michael_K_Sr, Oct 31, 2005.

  1. Michael_K_Sr

    Michael_K_Sr Screenwriter

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2005
    Messages:
    1,358
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    Chicago 'burbs
    Real Name:
    MichaelK
    Can anyone recommend a utility (preferably freeware, shareware or something with a working demo) that can be used to extract image files off a corrupt CF card? I've got a 1GB Sandisk card that just gives a "Memory Card Error" notice on my Canon PowerShot. I'm unable to transfer any images either through the camera-USB link or through a dedicated media card reader. On the same track, does anyone know what the going rate is for using a service to extract images from a memory card if I can't find suitable software?
     
  2. Scott Kimball

    Scott Kimball Screenwriter

    Joined:
    May 8, 2000
    Messages:
    1,500
    Likes Received:
    0
    There are a number of utilities out there... Google "compact flash recovery" and you'll find several.

    On the Mac, I've used "Picture Rescue". It will let you scan, and recover one file at a time for free. Registration allows bulk recovery. I think most apps like this work the same way.

    A quick Google found:
    www.datarescue.com
    for PC based recovery.

    -Scott
     
  3. Patrick Sun

    Patrick Sun Moderator
    Moderator

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 1999
    Messages:
    38,647
    Likes Received:
    418
  4. Michael_K_Sr

    Michael_K_Sr Screenwriter

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2005
    Messages:
    1,358
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    Chicago 'burbs
    Real Name:
    MichaelK
    Thanks for the tips. After trying the Picture Rescue demo I went ahead and bought it. I've used other products by Prosoft in the past, so I knew they were reputable. Looks like I was able to recover about 70% of my pictures. I may be able to piece together some of the remaining 30% using Photoshop.
     
  5. Ed B

    Ed B Stunt Coordinator

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 1999
    Messages:
    66
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thats good that you got your photos back even if its not all of them.

    Which Canon are you using?

    Have you gotten the card to work again?

    Ed
     

Share This Page