What's new

yet another 'need some help picking out a receiver' (1 Viewer)

bobSe

Grip
Real Name
Bob Seidel
Budget: $300 for the receiver, $300 for the speakers
This will be used just for the 2 front speakers - not going to be hooked up to surround sound. Not going to be watching many movies. This will mainly be for listening to music.

So what do I look for in a receiver? what kind of THD levels do I want? what are acceptable THD levels?

Should I be 'matching' up speakers to the receiver? or are speakers generaly 'compatible'?

What else should I be looking for in a receiver? Are there certain brands or models to avoid?

Any recommendations for a receiver with the above qualities? what about online vendors? or store vendors?

thanks

-MV

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
So it sounds like you are looking for a 2 channel stereo receiver, right?

First of all, you should put into consideration the size of your room and the volume you listen at. The size of the room will influence the amount of power you need for the speaker and the speakers that can go with your receiver.

Since a receiver include a AM/FM tuner, will you beusing it? If not, you should consider an integrated amp, which is basically a stereo receiver without the tuner, except that it's generally build for higher quality sound.

bobSe

Grip
Real Name
Bob Seidel
14x11 room. I would like to have a tuner built in. Someone suggested the Yamaha HTR-5840, in another thread, any opinions on that receiver?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you only need 2 channels, look for a stereo receiver. I'd look at the Onkyo TX-8211 ($199 MSRP), or shop around for a TX-8511. Harman Kardon also offers two similar models that might fit your budget.

bobSe

Grip
Real Name
Bob Seidel
I don't particularly want to go with Onkyo - I read they have almost non-existant customer service? would you mind pointing out the Harman Kardon models you are referring to?

Are 2-channel receivers usually better then 5/6/7 channel receivers? any particular reason why to go with a 2-channel over a 5/6/7 or vice versa?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you're only going to have a 2ch system, you don't need a 5/6/7 channel receiver with all the processing and channels that won't be used. At $300, you are better off with a stereo receiver unless you plan to move to 5/6/7 channel sound in the near future. Stereo receivers generally are a bit more powerful and somewhat higher quality than a comparably priced receiver because there is a lot less circuitry and gadgetry inside for all those other channels. All the real estate and components are geared for 2ch.

I have installed a number of Onkyos for customers, including the 8011; the predecessor of the 8211, and I haven't had any complaints. Keep in mind, your first line of customer service should come from the place you buy it, not from the manufacturer, so you should be looking for a quality, authorized reseller.

dustinSkater

Agent
Yeah I am looking for a receiver too. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am going to be buying a whole setup of audio so here's what it will be:
Ascend Acoustics 340SE mains across the front
HTM200 for rears
eventually will be a 7.1 set up
SVS 20-39PC+
Original Xbox also playing as a dvd player
Eventually Xbox 360
and a cheap $400 sony trinitron with one component video but will be buying a HDTV within a year or two.

So any suggestions for receivers in the $500 price range. I was looking at the HK 635 for $550 but that is as high as I want to go. I want something with the automatic calibration and Ipod connectable is a plus. Also could anybody tell me how both the Xbox's compare to regular dvd players, if they can compare to higher or lower end players?
Thanks

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher

You may want to look at the Yamaha HTR-5960, which has an input for an Ipod dock and has Yamaha's Parametric Room Acoustic Optimizer, which automatically optimizes receiver output to the speakers. The Perfect Vision magazine reported that Yamaha's acoustic optimizer works very well. Online dealers are offering it for as low as $350, plus shipping.

bobSe

Grip
Real Name
Bob Seidel
well my brother-in-law gave me the hook up, and I got a mint condition Sony GA7ES, works great! thanks for all the help!:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks