What's new

Yamaha rxv 1400 ypao (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
amen to that. numbers mean practically nothing. there are only a couple of receivers (that i've read reviews on) that actually put out what was promised. i think one of them was NAD...the other a technics (who knew?) ... and maybe a couple others.

heck, most receivers only run a few watts per channel most of the time. it's only during peaks that you really tap into those higher wattages.

EddyObregon

Stunt Coordinator
so if i use it to just run 5.1 then i will have plenty of power for my 15x12 room using my paradighm mini monitors. Also does the yamaha rxv1400 need to be pushed for it to reveal detail or on lower level can you hear the detail

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
I own a RXV-1400, with rather large boston acoustics VR-950's. I could tell a difference in sound between it and my RXV-440 even at low volumes. I can tell a bit of it straining at really loud volumes.... wich I never do. But at low to moderatly loud volumes its awsome. I feel like I have alot more head room. But I am the kind of guy who will buy a seperate amp in the future.

EddyObregon

Stunt Coordinator
Ok guys my room setup is 15x12 with 12 foot ceilings. The room is echoey and on the bright side. I have Paradigm Mini Monitors for fronts,cc370 center and Atom for surrounds. Now I have heard advise about these 2 receivers and opinions are very mixed. My thing is some people say that the Denon sound is more accurate ,more detailed, and more clear. If this was so why would I think of the yamaha rxv1400.. Is the Yamaha 1400 sound to thin and not that detailed of the denon. What I want is the best sounding receiver for my Paradigms. Does anyone here have experience with Paradigms and Denon or Yamaha. What I want from a receiver is not different options what I want is quality and sound. So who hear has tried both these receivers with there same speakers or Paradigms and have noticed a difference with both and if so which one has sounded better. That will determine what I want. I have wroten in the past but what I want is solid facts from people. I am not the type fo person to bring home a item and take it back and all that stuff. SO when I buy i stay with my stuff. Can you all please help

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Have you thought about asking your dealer if you can take both home to demo? That would be your best option. When I first got into HT I had a Yamaha and Paradigm setup similar to yours. At that time the combo was considered bright. From what I've read lately that characteristic is gone in the 1400/2400 line up. I've also had a Denon/Paradigm combo and found the sound to be more laid back. Either combo would work well with your speakers. Both are feature rich though the Yamaha has YPAO which may help in taming your bright room. But only you can tell when you have them setup in your home which one is right.

Kevin

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
I've auditioned the Yamaha RX-V1400 on Paradigm Monitor speakers and it sounded very, very good. A tad bright, but that can always be adjusted using YPAO and setting the EQ to "LOW" to favor the lower range of the 7-band EQ.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
Eddy, I am probably going to come accross sounding like a jerk but do not take it this way. You have posted on and started several threads about the Denon or Yammie. I think you have been given some excellent advice thus far and more than enought to help you formulate a decision. Do NOT be nervous about this decision. They are both excellent receivers. Listen to them and see what you like better. Denon is not more detailed than Yamaha and vice versa. I personaly think Yammie is way more detailed than Denon but people may disagree. You now need to decide which sound you like better. By the sounds of all of the threads you posted on Yamaha seems to come out on top. Try the Yamaha, if you don't like it bring it back and go with the Denon. Or get them both like someone said earlier. Good luck

Michael__M

Stunt Coordinator
Eddy, have you read the replies we have given you on the other posts? One last time - try them for yourself!! There are several outlets that would allow you to audition these before you buy them. You have nothing to lose and will be able to tell us which one is better.

John S

Senior HTF Member
These AVRs while maybe not a sustained out put, can more than delivery on peaks. Most handle close to 5 seconds of full output before they start to drop off. So even with SACD and DVD'A, it really becomes a non factor.

You could certainly find a case that an AVR that delivers 35w sustained all channels driven can sound and perform better than an AVR that can supply 75w sustained all channels driven. It is but one part of the overall performance picture.

Best of luck with your future AVR choices.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I know that it's a rarity that anyone would ever be pushing all channels through the entire frequency range at once. That said, companies like Pioneer Elite, Sony ES, Denon, and especially Harman Kardon are able to gives us power specs that are either MUCH closer (92/100 on the 4ES, 90/100 on the 3803) or even underrated (165/130 on the 47TX and 49TX, 116/100 on the 7200). It just seems shady to make claims are THAT over-inflated.

I'd love to see a retraction from HT Mag saying the test was wrong or their unit wasn't working properly and they actually put out much closer to their rated output since i was initially very interested in both of these receivers, but it seems wrong to me to support what boils down to a very substantial lie by purchasing their products.

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
Stephen, I think you're misinterpreting the power rating claims. No where in my manual for the RX-V2400 does it specifically say that the AVR can push 120 watts/channel with all channels driven. It just says 120 watts/channel, which can either mean with all channels driven or a single channel driven. It would be a down-right lie if Yamaha wrote "120 watts/channel with all 7 channels driven at full capacity".

Regardless of what the manufacturer claims, people should buy a receiver based on how it sounds with their speakers. If the consumer feels like it doesn't have enough power, then he/she shouldn't buy it in the first place. I personally think the RX-V2400 has more than enough power to drive all my speakers, including my large floorstanding towers.

Bob_M

Stunt Coordinator
>so if i use it to just run 5.1 then i will have plenty of power for my 15x12 room using my paradighm mini monitors. <

I would say so. I asumme you are using a powered sub with the mini monitors, i.e setting all speakers to small. That should take a considerable load off the amp. I used to run a yam 592 5x70 in a 25x12 room without and problems.

>Also does the yamaha rxv1400 need to be pushed for it to reveal detail or on lower level can you hear the detail<
The best thing is to try this out and listen for yourself. I bet you will hear the detail fine. Yam makes a good box.

Bob

EddyObregon

Stunt Coordinator
well I listend to the HK avr 430 and its rated than 75 watts per channel and it blew away a denon that is rated at 90 watts a channel. The volume of both receivers were at 0 and the hk blew it out of the water.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i'm not sure that's not a fair comparison? afaik, those numbers are arbitrary. zero on one receiver does not necessarily equal zero on another.

EddyObregon

Stunt Coordinator
well the Denon is out fo the picture. I went to my local store and they had a Denon 2803 and a hk 430 running next to each other. The denon was thin and bright to my ears and the HK was wow it was warm detailed and awesome. It blew the denon out of this earth. The problem is its going for 720 dollars kind of steap. The dealer put both receivers with the volome at 0 and the HK which was rated at 75 watts per channel and the denon was rated at 90 and the hk sounded 2 times as loud detailed and full. Now its between the hk and the yamaha. The yammie I know now is better than the Denon. I auditioned both but the HK to me sounded better than the yammie. Problem here is I would have to spend 120 dollars more than the yammie 1400. What do I do. Anyone here audtion the HK 430. I find it weird how a 75 watts per channel receiver sounds louder than the denon 2803 at 90 watts per channel. After hearign the Denon I was like this machine is junk..

EddyObregon

Stunt Coordinator
ok guys I might go with the yammie 1400 now tell me one thing once I do the ypao do you have to then set the eq. For my bright room shoudl the eq be set to low. Also do you think the ypao does a better job of calibratign your speakers than if you would do it manually with a spl meter. A dealer to do the ypao and use that as a measuring stick and from there do some minor tweaks to get the sound right. He said the ypao helps out but after yoru done you need to do some minor tweaks to get it right. Can anyone here give me pointers on how i can get the sound right on thsi receiver

RolandM

Stunt Coordinator

Actually it is a fair (if not necessarily controlled) comparison if both receivers have 0 as the highest they go (which is usually the case).

If they are both at max volume then neither can go any higher...

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
The thing with the test that that magazine did is not a real world scenario. Trust me I know how manufacturers and mags test some things. Ever seen a sony car amp? 1600 watts... maybe at 110V at 1/2 ohm.

The way most magazines test receivers like that is they put it on a test bench and use a special test tone or cd that does white noise, or just one tone and they crank it with all channels driven.

We will never do this in the real world with a receiver. Even with DVD-A/SACD it will never happen. I do agree that getting a sub does take the load off of a receiver. I have my receiver(1400) crossed over at 80hz, with no sub. Yes there is no bass but it is cleaner.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks