What's new

Yamaha RXV-1400 and no bass (1 Viewer)

DavidAM

Second Unit
I just put together a system for a friend and used the 1400 reciever. When I run the test tones, the sub outputs sound, but when I play stereo or watch TV (haven't tried a DVD yet) the sub isn't playing. Am I missing something in the settings?

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
David,

Are you using "direct" modes as the stereo direct mode will not send bass signals to the sub. If you turn on Pro Logic II while using a stereo source, do you have bass output from the sub?

John Roger

Stunt Coordinator
The problem could be

1)Sub is set to 0ff.Or level is very low.
2)Fronts and Center set to "large".

Test tone bass maybe LFE.Remember in TV channels or stereo there is no LFE.So whatever sent to the sub is the bass redirected from the other speakers.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
If you ran the auto calibration chances are the receiver set all the speakers to "large", which means only the discreet .1 LFE track from a 5.1 dd or dts source will be sent to the sub.

Go into manual setup and tell the receiver you have "small" speakers, then set crossover to 80hz or so, this will redirect bass below 80hz to the sub.

Ideally you should go into manual setup first, select small for all speakers, then run auto calibration. You can de-select some parts of the auto calibration to keep it from resetting the speakers to Large--try looking in the owner's manual.

Joseph.P

Auditioning
There is a sbwfr setting in manual setup/speakers where you can choose sbwfr,front,both,none.
If this is set to front, all bass & lfe will be sent to the front speakers.

DavidAM

Second Unit
Thanks for the tips. I did go into manual setup after the auto and set the fronts to small, set xover at 80hz and then set the sub to "swfr". I still wasn't getting any sub output. I haven't been back to try a DVD yet. I have a HK 520 receiver and when using PLII or Logic 7 I get lots of bass from regular TV. I don't understand why PLII on the Yamaha doesn't give me anything. I want to go back sometime this week and try a DVD. I did see an option for "Presence"...wasn't sure what it was or did.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks