What's new

Yamaha RX-V673 vs Pioneer SC-1222-K (1 Viewer)

Larsin

Auditioning
Real Name
Larry Singleton
Ok I have the HDMI>DVI converter, and it sounds so easy, but Im not sure why it wont work. So I'm working on trying to get cable/Satellite working(pic and sound). Here are my connections doing as you recommended: STB HDMI OUT to SC122 SAT/CAB Input 2 SC1222 HDMI OUT to DVI on TV input 6. I understand DVI doesnt carry audio, but Im just trying for picture first and it isn't working. When I look at the Menu for my TV, I can see Digital Connection in the setup, but it is greyed out. When I select inputs on TV(6) and AVR, I never get a picture. Maybe I'm stuck using component.

Larsin

Auditioning
Real Name
Larry Singleton
gene c said:
You should have had audio with the STB connected to the receiver with HDMI. Check the setting in the STB's Audio Setup Menu and the receivers Input Setup Menu. You should not have had video with HDMI going into the receiver and component going out to your display. The HDMI to DVI cable will allow video to your dispaly. Hook things up the way Sam suggested and double-check the settings in the STB's menu and things should work fine. You may also have to change the audio and video output settings in your Bluray player to HDMI if you haven't already done so. You don't need to have an audio connection to the display unless you want to watch tv with the receiver turned off. If you do, then connect the red/white cables tfrom the STB to the display along with a component cable for video and change the Input on the display to the corresponding Component input. Change it back to the DVI input when you want sound to come from the receiver.
Yes, I don't carry about watching TV with receiver off, so that helps. It must be the STB menu. I haven't even made it to the Bluray or any other device yet. thanks much.

Larsin

Auditioning
Real Name
Larry Singleton
Ok it works! Now I have STB HDMI out to AVR HDMI(sat/cab) and then HDMI out to DVI in on TV (input 6). So now I guess all I need is to plug the Bluray HDMI out to AVR HDMI in(BD) and that should work. gonna try it now!

Larsin

Auditioning
Real Name
Larry Singleton
Anyone had the MCACC error(SR) when doing the auto calibration?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Must be something wrong with the connection to the Right Surround speaker. Check for a strayed wire or if you accidently connected the wires backwards.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by Larsin
Anyone had the MCACC error(SR) when doing the auto calibration?
In addition to the possiblity of the speaker wires being reversed, if the receiver is a 7.1 model and you're only running 5.1, make sure you connect the surround speakers to the "surround" binding posts and not the "surround back" binding posts.
The surround back speakers are the extras used in 7.1 configurations. Most auto-setup functions will throw an error if it detects surround back speakers are connected, but regular surround speakers are not.

Larsin

Auditioning
Real Name
Larry Singleton
Combination of both! LOL One speaker was reversed(never reported it before with other calibration software) and I also had the surrounds in "surround back" which was also throwing errors. Thanks much for the help all! By the way, what is everyone's general listening volume? I tend to have it around -22 to -25 whereas my previous receiver (HKAVR325) was around -40 but it was only 50watts per channel.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well, your AVR325 is probably more powerful than the new AVR. Back then HK rated their AVR x5 or x7. New AVR are rated by x2 and whatever that is...they claim it as x5 or x7.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Like Sam said, H/K's back in the day (and the recent past0 had very stout amp sections. But it's difficult to cmpare one receivers volume setting to another. They may be calibrated differently. And maybe the H/K's volume control went to "11".

Larsin

Auditioning
Real Name
Larry Singleton
That absolutely makes sense, and I didn't think of that. Either way, I'm really enjoying the SC-1222K. It is my first experience with Internet Radio/Pandora and the android app for an AVR. Totally impressed by the features once I wrapped my head around the setup/configuration. Thanks again to all.

Patton508

Auditioning
i just picked up the Yamaha RX-673 from Fry's for 399.00 with an "instore" special that I was able to get them to ship to me (free shipping to boot). Looking forward to checking it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks