Yamaha RX-V673 vs Pioneer SC-1222-K

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Larsin, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Larsin

Larsin Auditioning

Ok I have the HDMI>DVI converter, and it sounds so easy, but Im not sure why it wont work. So I'm working on trying to get cable/Satellite working(pic and sound). Here are my connections doing as you recommended: STB HDMI OUT to SC122 SAT/CAB Input 2 SC1222 HDMI OUT to DVI on TV input 6. I understand DVI doesnt carry audio, but Im just trying for picture first and it isn't working. When I look at the Menu for my TV, I can see Digital Connection in the setup, but it is greyed out. When I select inputs on TV(6) and AVR, I never get a picture. Maybe I'm stuck using component.

2. Larsin

Larsin Auditioning

Yes, I don't carry about watching TV with receiver off, so that helps. It must be the STB menu. I haven't even made it to the Bluray or any other device yet. thanks much.

3. Larsin

Larsin Auditioning

Ok it works! Now I have STB HDMI out to AVR HDMI(sat/cab) and then HDMI out to DVI in on TV (input 6). So now I guess all I need is to plug the Bluray HDMI out to AVR HDMI in(BD) and that should work. gonna try it now!

4. Larsin

Larsin Auditioning

Anyone had the MCACC error(SR) when doing the auto calibration?

5. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    Must be something wrong with the connection to the Right Surround speaker. Check for a strayed wire or if you accidently connected the wires backwards.

6. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Usually a MCACC error is you have the -/+ switched on one of the speakers so phase is backwards.

7. Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton Ambassador

Jason Charlton
    In addition to the possiblity of the speaker wires being reversed, if the receiver is a 7.1 model and you're only running 5.1, make sure you connect the surround speakers to the "surround" binding posts and not the "surround back" binding posts.
    The surround back speakers are the extras used in 7.1 configurations. Most auto-setup functions will throw an error if it detects surround back speakers are connected, but regular surround speakers are not.

8. Larsin

Larsin Auditioning

Combination of both! LOL One speaker was reversed(never reported it before with other calibration software) and I also had the surrounds in "surround back" which was also throwing errors. Thanks much for the help all! By the way, what is everyone's general listening volume? I tend to have it around -22 to -25 whereas my previous receiver (HKAVR325) was around -40 but it was only 50watts per channel.

9. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Well, your AVR325 is probably more powerful than the new AVR. Back then HK rated their AVR x5 or x7. New AVR are rated by x2 and whatever that is...they claim it as x5 or x7.

10. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    Like Sam said, H/K's back in the day (and the recent past0 had very stout amp sections. But it's difficult to cmpare one receivers volume setting to another. They may be calibrated differently. And maybe the H/K's volume control went to "11".

11. Larsin

Larsin Auditioning

That absolutely makes sense, and I didn't think of that. Either way, I'm really enjoying the SC-1222K. It is my first experience with Internet Radio/Pandora and the android app for an AVR. Totally impressed by the features once I wrapped my head around the setup/configuration. Thanks again to all.

12. Patton508

Patton508 Auditioning

i just picked up the Yamaha RX-673 from Fry's for 399.00 with an "instore" special that I was able to get them to ship to me (free shipping to boot). Looking forward to checking it out.