What's new

Yamaha RX-V673 vs Pioneer SC-1222-K (1 Viewer)

Larsin

Auditioning
Real Name
Larry Singleton
I currently have an HK AVR325, Pioneer Elite HD530, Uverse, Xbox 360 and a recently-purchased BDP-S790 blu ray player. My TV does not have HDMI and it will be the last item I purchase. I don't think the Yammy will upconvert video but the Pioneer does(and has more WPC). I can get the SC-1222-K for $600 or the RX-V673 for $500. Just wanted some user opinions to see if perhaps any members considered these 2 options as well. thanks all, Larsin

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yes both AVR have(I'm assuming you mean) HDMI upconversion. The power rating of both is based on 2 channels...not 5/7. Either will produce ear splitting volume with even mediocre efficiency speakers(you never use as much power as you think you do). I would base the purchase on the "other features" between them... Which one you prefer for the remote (layout and buttons themselves) Which one has the "easier to use"(for you) menu. $100 difference between them is almost nothing...when you break it down to the fact it will be the center of your AV world for the next 4-6 years.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way, where are you finding the 1222 for $600? I ask because that is half what it should be. I'm also curious how the 673 isn't $600. That sounds like a "non-authorized" sale.

Larsin

Auditioning
Real Name
Larry Singleton
Newegg for both: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117412&Tpk=pioneer%20sc-1222-k http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882115376&Tpk=v673 Shows $599 today on the V673, but Newegg just ran a promotion (that I missed) on the V673 and lots of people got it for $384.00.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Aahh( I used to sell wholesale for the distributor for both Yammy and Pio)...NewEgg. But, I wonder when NewEgg got their hands on Yamaha... I don't "keep track" of NewEgg deals...but both of them "are legit" being NewEgg.

Larsin

Auditioning
Real Name
Larry Singleton
gene c, Thanks much for the comparison PDF. That is very helpful!

TheGary

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gary
I wouldn't get the 1122. It is exactly the same as the 1021 ( last years model) don't know why they moved it up and is severely underpowered, think ~40wpc. I would know, I have the 1021. I would get the 1222 hands down, don't settle for less because you'll be wanting more. Class D3 amp, better construction, looks a lot better too.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
They basically eliminated the 1121. The 1021 became the 1122 and the 921 became the 1022. No doubt the 1222 is stronger than the 1122. Guess it depends on what speakers he has, how loud he listens to them and how big the room is. I've had an Elite SC-27 and an SC-35. Both fine receivers but I didn't think they were all that powerfull. As for looks, haven't really compared the two. Build quality. They're both Pioneer's so I'm not sure one's better than the other. It's really the features list and the pricing that makes the 1122 ($399) kind of attractive to me, at least compared to the 1022 ($249) and 1222 ($599). Here's the product Sheet for the 1122. Lot's of things in BOLD the 1022 doesn't have. http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ephox/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/Home/VSX-1122-K%20New%20Single%20Sheet.pdf The 1222 just doesn't have that much more to justify the price. But $599 is a pretty good deal on it. But still 40% more than the 1122.

Larsin

Auditioning
Real Name
Larry Singleton
My speakers are ED A6-6T6 and an ED A5-S-300 sub. I have been out of touch recently and just read last week about ED going under...but I purchased these 2 years ago. I think I may just have to jump on the 1222 if nothing else, for the class D amp. It seems all else is pretty similar. I have a Logitech harmony remote, so hopefully I won't have issues with it, but it sounds like the 1222 remote doesn't have a large fan base lol.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I use a similar remote with my 23-vsx and also use it to control my Elite dv-58av and bdp-23 Bluray player. But remotes must also be a personal thing. Some like them, some don't. But you can't beat a Harmony.

Jarburn

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike H
I just bought the 1222 yesterday from Newegg. They had it for $599 and another $50 off with a coupon code. Just couldn't pass that up since comparable models/brands were gonna cost me at least a couple hundred more, and those weren't even current models for the most part. Today the 1222 is $1100 at Newegg.
But you can't beat a Harmony.
I've heard nothing but praise for the Harmony. I think I'll use the $50 I saved with the Newegg coupon and get one.

Larsin

Auditioning
Real Name
Larry Singleton
So I ended up ordering the SC-1222K as well! What is the correct way to connect my TV(no HDMI) to receiver? Right now I am going component from AVR(monitor out) to component on TV. Full setup= STB = HDMI to Receiver BD= HDMI to Receiver Xbox = HDMI to Receiver TV = component to Receiver and I see this in the manual: Connecting your TV with no HDMI input This diagram shows connections of a TV (with no HDMI input) and DVD player (or other playback component) to the receiver. Important With these connections, the picture is not output to the TV even if the DVD player is connected with an HDMI cable. Connect the receiver and TV using the same type of video cable as used to connect the receiver and player. --Does this mean I can't use HDMI on the BluRay/DVD player? Also, when the receiver and TV are connected by anything other than an HDMI cable, the OSD function allowing display of the receiver’s settings, operations, etc., on the TV’s screen cannot be used. In this case, watch the receiver’s front panel display while performing the various operations and making settings. - So I guess this means I can either use the AVNavigator or maybe my Harmony 520 remote? Flustered...

Larsin

Auditioning
Real Name
Larry Singleton
It is an OLD Pioneer Elite HD530, but yes it does have 2 DVI ports. I guess what I'm trying to ask, is if my TV doesn't have HDMI, does it prevent me from using HDMI on other components? Here is the TV: http://www.4electronicwarehouse.com/pioneer-elite-pro-530hd-p731. Maybe I need to use DVI > HDMI converter and then all is well? Here I am with a new receiver and new blu ray, and the only thing I can get to work is the TUNER LOL.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Receivers won't down-convert hdmi video to component video. Since your display has DVI input you could get an hdmi to DVi cable. http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10231 http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-HDMI-Adapter-Cable-Meters/dp/B001TH7T2U/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1359828203&sr=1-1&keywords=hdmi+to+dvi+cable

Larsin

Auditioning
Real Name
Larry Singleton
So the TV has nothing to do with me using HDMI on my STB or Bluray to the receiver? Right now I have the STB connected HDMI out to Receiver HDMI in with the TV component(monitor) to AVR (monitor), but I don't get any picture or sound. If I unplug the HDMI from STB to receiver and use STB Component OUT to DVR/BD Component IN (along with optical out on STB to AVR Input), then I get picture and sound. If I get the HDMI > DVI to go to the TV, where does it go into the AVR? Then I will need to run RCA R/W cable for sound since the HD530 doesn't have optical. Thanks for your time.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
HDMI goes in your HDMI output of the AVR. DVI goes on your TV. EVERYTHING connects to your 1222. Then you just use the HDMI-DVI for the TV. Done.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Larsin said:
So the TV has nothing to do with me using HDMI on my STB or Bluray to the receiver? Right now I have the STB connected HDMI out to Receiver HDMI in with the TV component(monitor) to AVR (monitor), but I don't get any picture or sound. If I unplug the HDMI from STB to receiver and use STB Component OUT to DVR/BD Component IN (along with optical out on STB to AVR Input), then I get picture and sound. If I get the HDMI > DVI to go to the TV, where does it go into the AVR? Then I will need to run RCA R/W cable for sound since the HD530 doesn't have optical. Thanks for your time.
You should have had audio with the STB connected to the receiver with HDMI. Check the setting in the STB's Audio Setup Menu and the receivers Input Setup Menu. You should not have had video with HDMI going into the receiver and component going out to your display. The HDMI to DVI cable will allow video to your dispaly. Hook things up the way Sam suggested and double-check the settings in the STB's menu and things should work fine. You may also have to change the audio and video output settings in your Bluray player to HDMI if you haven't already done so. You don't need to have an audio connection to the display unless you want to watch tv with the receiver turned off. If you do, then connect the red/white cables tfrom the STB to the display along with a component cable for video and change the Input on the display to the corresponding Component input. Change it back to the DVI input when you want sound to come from the receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread