What's new

Yamaha RX-V2700 HDMI Video Dropouts (1 Viewer)

Barton Lynch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barton Lynch
My Receiver RX-V2700 is having Video blackouts thru HDMI after it runs for a while. My same DENON DVD-2910 DVD player has been flawless for about a year directly connected to my Panasonic HDTV Plasma... I just tried (today) the HDMI switching for the first time since I am expecting a PS3, and just trying it with the Denon DVD Player using Monster HDMI (from DVD to Yamaha) and RCA HDMI cables (bought today) the dropouts happened.

It seems from my estimation that the dropouts occur once the receiver warms up (even with no volume). As when I turn everything off and let it cool, it plays fine for quite a while, but, once I believe it warms up, the video blackouts occur randomly and very very frequently with different durations of blackouts in between. One symptom is the receiver's display blinking the audio indicators (speaker map, audio format in type letters) when it drops out the video, muting the sound for a brief split second.

Please help.

MarkusP

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
Unfortunately, the RX-V2700 did have an initial problem with HDMI dropouts when the unit warmed up. I believe Yamaha solved this with a firmware update but can't remember.

You might want to drop by AVS forum and read up on the RX-V2700 thread which explains the problem extensively.

Barton Lynch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barton Lynch
Thanks Markus!

Can you please point me the link to the appropriate thread in that Forum?

How exactly do I update the firmware of that thing? Via the Ethernet hookup? The RS-232? Baffling!

Barton Lynch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barton Lynch
I've been searching like crazy over at AVS Forums for the RX-V2700 Firmware Update with no luck. Also throughout the Internet about the subject, same results. Not even a thread of hint over this issue at Yamaha's Website.

Any help please?

Barton Lynch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barton Lynch
So far all I've come up with my search is that there is no firmware update whatsoever for the 2700. So where did this come from? Even so, there is no sure fact of what I just said. The only thing for sure is that others have had the same issues (including Dave from Audioholics) and no official fix nor answer from Yamaha nor anybody anywhere.

Please Markus, where did you come around this firmware thing in AVS Forum? I'm going crazy all weekend around this issue.

MarkusP

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
Sorry Barton. I was sure I had read about a firmware update to address the problem but cannot locate the post. Pouring over the AVS forums, it looks like the problem may never have been addressed by Yamaha as it doesn't look like it was widespread.

Sorry to get your hopes up :frowning:

FYI - I am home demoing the new RX-V1800 right now and have had zero dropouts, unlike the 2700 I had last year on demo.

Have you tried adding a small fan to the back of your unit?

Barton Lynch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barton Lynch
Markus,

Don't worry, I just got in touch with my local Yamaha dealer and they are working on a solution. I'm pushing a replacement as the unit is so new and I am reluctant to have it serviced. Plus, Yamaha's Web support recommended a replacement unit as there have been quite a lot of faulty HDMI circuit boards in the 2700 series (and there is no simple fix, much less a firmware available). At least they are open acknowledging it. Maybe if I am lucky I might get a replacement unit. Maybe a 3800? I can dream, can I? Fingers crossed. ;-P

About the fan suggestion, is a bone chilling AC enough for you? Overheating HDMI circuity is out of the question, as my experiment demonstrated that the culprit is in fact a faulty HDMI circuit board. How's that? well, it cannot keep a steady picture for a minute using HDMI ports 1 & 2 with the AC at full blast; but port 3 stays solid with no dropouts during an entire movie even with the AC turned off and the volume at Theater levels. Go figure.

Thanks for caring.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
The new 3900 has same issue playing via Panasonic 55 and Fox discs in particular (DTS-MA), while hooked up to BD-LIVE.

Barton Lynch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barton Lynch
Thankfully the issue was solved replacing the HDMI video board a week later (HUGE BOARD! it covers the entire side panel of the receiver!) and so far almost a year later, no dropouts and all 3 HDMI ports fireing on all corners thru hours and hours of BD, PS3, DVD, Cable, etc.

I forgot about this thread, he he he...

Thanks to all for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks