What's new

Yamaha RX-v2400 vs. RX-v1400 (1 Viewer)

Robert BG

Auditioning
After reading this forum for a couple of months i have decided on either the RX-v2400 or the RX-v1400. Is buying the 2400 that much of an improvement over the 1400?
What will i be gaining using one over the other.
I will be using speakers of various manufacturers. JBL fronts BOSE (don't laugh) for the rear and center. And a Polk 450 series sub. Any help would be appreciated.

TimMc

Stunt Coordinator
Darned if I know. And I'm running a 2400 in the den now...

OK - for the 2400 I know that you get more Yamaha marketing. You're supposed to get a little more oomph (10W more per channel). You're supposed to get "higher quality components" in the 2400 and they call out the "extra large torroidal transformer" - but the 1400 appears to have the same one and basically the same specs (other that the aforementioned 10Wpc). Heck - they weigh the same so there can't be anything too substantial that's different.

OK - you do get 2 more DSP modes w/ the 2400 (whoop-dee-do!). You do get RS-232 & Zone 2 & remote In/Out jacks (more whooping, please). The biggest thing that I know of is that you get different remote controls, but those are often personal preference things so YMMV.

I got the 2400 'cause I could get one for about the going price of the 1400 - that's all. Unless there's something else that is really big but that I just flat-out missed, then the debate over 1400 vs 2400 is similar to me to the Pioneer 43tx vs 45tx debate - except that the 1400 has YPAO & a phono stage so there really isn't the same debate at all, is there? Just my viewpoint, but if you can get a 2400 for 1400 price then get it. If not, then the real differences (unless you try the remotes and can't stand one) are not signficant and let the price be your guide.

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
According to a brochure I got from Yamaha Canada, the RX-V2400 has a significantly better remote than the RX-V1400. I love my 2400's remote, especially because it can control all my components quite nicely thanks to its macro and learning features. In my opinion, the remote itself is worth the extra $$$ for the 2400, not to mention you get 10 watts more and RS-232. I went with the 2400 because of the remote and peace of mind, I didn't want any regrets ("man I should've gotten the 2400, this 1400 feels like it has less power", etc.).

http://66.46.69.23/sigserv/pl/index.pl?p=3
Dynamic signature images powered by mod_perl running on Apache.
My DVD Collection

Justin_D

Stunt Coordinator
10 watts is absolutely nothing
Just thought I would make that point. Yes, its "more," but you would not hear it unless they are using other better components.

In order to make an audible difference, you need to double the wattage, i.e. 100 watts is 3 dB louder than 50 watts, which is 3 dB louder than 25 watts, etc.

TimMc

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry, Justin, but I just have to disagree in this case. The 10 watts more claimed for the 2400 is not absolutely nothing - it is less than nothing. It is the wart on the tail of the dog. It is... OK, OK, I'll stop now. I'm back in control again (sort of). I definitely agree w/ you.

I think the biggest hint lies in the exact same weight for the two units - even though Yamaha touts a "extra large torroidal transformer" for the 2400. Hidden in the 1400/2400 marketing .pdf it turns out that the 1400 has the same thing. Maybe the 2400 does get an extra special capacitor or transistor somewhere in the box, but w/ essentially the same power H/W the 10W difference could very well be more marketing than real. I'd guess it's a minimalist tweak to help justify the model number & price of the 2400, but that's just my opinion and I could be wrong.

This is not to disparage either the 1400 or 2400, Robert. I happen to be surprizingly pleased w/ our 2400 - it actually sounds grand (must be them thar 10W ;~). No, it actually seems to be YPAO doing it's job right. I just really like it so far.

And yes, I kinda do like that remote (I just don't have a 1400's to compare it with). My only real complaint is that I had to move the older 795a all the way up to the loft 'cause the 2400's remote would fire up the 795 from another room...

Get either one if you get a good price. Just my opinion so far, but it sure seems to be darned decent for the price.

Robert BG

Auditioning
Thanks to all who replied. I guess with the limited budget and the words of advice I will go with the 1400.
Thanks again.

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
Robert, just do yourself a favor and compare the remote of the 1400 against that of the 2400 before you make a purchase decision. I use the macro feature of the 2400's remote and its a blessing! Considering all the components this remote can control so easily, plus it has macro and learning capabilities, its worth $120 US itself!

http://66.46.69.23/sigserv/pl/index.pl?p=7
My DVD Collection

TommyB

Stunt Coordinator
MuneebM said:

I am going to have to disagree with this statement being your reason for choosing the 2400 over the 1400. For $20, you can pick up a RatShack or One for All JP1 capabale remote that I guarantee will do everything the 2400 remote can do plus more.

When I was contemplating between the 1400 and 2400, even my local dealer suggested the 1400 because it was "basically the same receiver."

So Robert, I think that you have made a wise decision to go with the 1400.

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
TommyB, this was not my sole "reason for choosing the 2400 over the 1400". As I've stated in an earlier post in this thread, I chose the 2400 for various reasons:
- RS232
- 10 watts more per channel, although I know this most likely makes no difference but I wanted peace of mind
- remote
- peace of mind
- I got a good deal on it and it was still within my receiver budget

Furthermore, the $20 universal Rat Shack and One for All remotes don't come with a nifty little LCD screen built on to the remote, although the JP1 capability is very handy. I actually used a One for All to "teach" my Yammie's remote discrete codes.

http://66.46.69.23/sigserv/pl/index.pl?p=9
My DVD Collection

TommyB

Stunt Coordinator
MuneebM,

I apologize if my post came across harsh, I wasn't trying to discredit your choice of the 2400 in any way. However, since Robert was saying he was on a "limited budget", I thought the 1400 would be the best choice for him.

Also, as far as a remote with an LCD screen, the RadioShack 15-2116 (8 in 1 learning remote) does have one and is JP1 capable. I am currently using two of them (one in living room and one in the bedroom via RF unit). In fact, if you can find them at the B&M stores, you can pick up the 15-2117 (combonation of a 15-2116 and RF receiver) for $29.99.

Again, I apologize if I offended you in any way, I am sure you are as happy with your 2400 as I am with my 1400. :)

RobCar

Stunt Coordinator
Any other thoughts about the 1400 vs. the 2400? I'm about to pull the trigger on one or the other. I had a look at the Windows XP app that you can use to tweak the settings of the 2400 using that RS232 port, and it looks pretty cool. Not sure if that alone is worth the extra dough, though.

Steve Simm

Stunt Coordinator
Not to hijack this thread but I want (not need) to get another receiver. My dilemna is this- I have a DSP-A1 that is perfect working condition. It does all I need it to do but obviously does not have all the latest bells and whistles. My room is fairly small 14'*17' with 8' ceilings but because of room layout I have to view my TV from the 14' distance. I prewired for 7 channels but am only using 5.1 as my seating is only about 6-7"'s from the rear wall. Would I benefit from going 7.1 and if so would either the 1400 or 2400 be considered a step down in sound quality? I am using 5 Boston Acoustic VR-M60's as speakers with a SVS 2039PC sub.

RobCar

Stunt Coordinator
I downloaded it to my home computer. I'm at work right now, but I'll post a link to it when I get home. It's basically a control panel that lets you adjust all these different settings. Looks really, really cool. I think it's really only intended for installers, though (in other words, they don't officially support it for home use).

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
I just tried the Yamaha Receiver Editor v3 with my RX-V2400 and I think something is now officially messed up. My EX/ES button on the remote now only causes the receiver to toggle between "AUTO" and "OFF". Before I used to be able to toggle between "AUTO", "EX/ES" and "OFF". Seems like my "EX/ES" option has disappeared! Help please, anyone!

http://66.46.69.23/sigserv/pl/index.pl?p=19
My DVD Collection

Tom.C

Auditioning
I have not used the editor (only have a 1400), so I have not seen this. You might try issuing the EX/EX ON discrete code (7E7D) from the remote. That might unlock something, although I am just guessing. Instructions for issuing extended IR commands are on the Yamaha website on the IR Control page. Unfortunately, as a new member I cannot post the link.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks