Yamaha RX-V2300

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Patrick Taylor, Sep 8, 2003.

1. Patrick Taylor

I was able to pick up a Yamaha RX-V2300 as a open box last week for less than $600. I am upgrading from a Yamaha HTR-5240. While I do hear a difference with the 2300 over the 5240, this beast might be overkill for my setup.

Are any other owners of the 2300 finding out that you have to have the volume up a lot, around 50, to get any a good listening experience with DVD's? For music (standard CD's), I don't have to turn it up nearly as loud. I do though for SACD and DVD-A.

What's with the pre-outs? I have heard that I could hook my sub up this way instead of the sub out on the 2300. I have my sub hooked up speaker level, and I have run a cable to my sub also for added LFE in movies. I set the speakers to Large and Both on the 2300. Is there a better way to hook my speakers and Sub up to the 2300?

Also, has anyone figured out if you can have the settings different for each source, like your CD setting for bass different than the DVD setting.
    Should I return this puppy before my 30 days are up and go the 1400 with the variable cross-over? I am very interested in your opinions.

My set up is as follows:

Def Tech Speakers: ProMonitor 200s for 2 fronts, ProCenter C2 for front center and BP1.2X for my 2 surrounds.
    Yamaha YST-SW320 for my sub
    Pioneer DV45a for my DVD/SACD/DVD-A/CD player

Thanks.

PAT

2. RobCar

RobCar Stunt Coordinator

Return it and wait for the 1400? Nah. I wouldn't. Not for just the variable crossover. But maybe that's just me.

3. kevitra

kevitra Second Unit

The 1400 also has the room acoustic calibration, if that is important to you.

4. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

5. Patrick Taylor

Thanks for the input. I have 2 weeks left to decide if I am keeping it or not.

Can any 2300 owners tell me how they have speakers and sub hooked up? I get great Bass out of DVD's using the digital connection, much better than my 5240, but no that great out of the 6 channel analog inputs. In fact it is lower than my 5240 and I have my sub level as high as it can go on my Pioneer 45a (+6), where as I had it on 0 with my old unit.

Thanks.

PAT

6. Edwin_C

Edwin_C Stunt Coordinator

The 1400 is also THX Select certified.

7. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

8. kevin tate

kevin tate Stunt Coordinator

The 1400 also has composite/S-video to component input up-convert. Yamaha's site implied that the 1400 is high-current, and the 2300 is not. I called Yamaha & spoke w/one of their reps. The rep indicated that both units are high-current; it's choice of words -- marketing talk -- on their site.

9. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    The 1400 should be $799.99. They got THX certification but I don't think the prices are going up from retail of previous years.

10. Edwin_C

Edwin_C Stunt Coordinator

11. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor