What's new

Yamaha RX-V1400 Video Conversion Question (1 Viewer)

Christopher B

Stunt Coordinator
I have a question for any 1400 owners about the video conversion.
I just bought this receiver and all the other stuff for my HT, and I was going to feed the video signals directly into my LCD TV. I figured going directly from the source would be the best possible picture. Does anyone here use the conversion to take your s-video or even composite signal out to Component? Does the conversion make the picture better than going directly into the TV with the s-video? I am not expecting it to make it a lot better, or maybe not improve the signal at all, but it may be nice to just have one component signal fed into the TV instead of each source seperately.

Thanks

Nick.S

Stunt Coordinator
If I am not mistaking the 1400 only does composite to svideo and back. I dont think it takes composite or svideo to component. As far as losing video quality going through a receiver, I think it very very minimal. In fact I have not even noticed and loss.

Nick

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
The 1400 does do component upconversion. I have only done S-Video to Component upconversion not composite. The conversion doesn't really improve the video quality much. It certainly doesn't hurt the PQ.

Ron_Yeoh

Grip
I too have my DVD linked by component cables straight to my TV. WHat advantages are there to going through the receiver?

Christopher B

Stunt Coordinator
Ron,
The main reason to run through your receiver is to use it for switching. Since the PQ is good this way, I can run everything into it's own channel on the receiver and only have one set of component cables running to the TV instead of a separate video feed to the TV from DVD SAT VCR whatever. If you only have one video source it may not matter to you.

Jamie Doucette

Stunt Coordinator
I really don't like the word 'upconversion'. The yamaha 1400 and 2400 don't increase the video quality, they just 'convert' the signal among component, s-video, and composite, mostly for universal switching. You should not get a better picture quality in these models by using this feature. It is a great feature for people with different video output options.

As far as I know, only the Yamaha RX-Z9 does real video 'upconversion'(increasing video quality from all sources).

Christopher B

Stunt Coordinator
Jamie,
I don't like that term "upconversion" either. In fact, I didn't know that actual upconversion was possible. Yamaha doesn't use that term either in the manual. For my purposes, video "conversion" is all I need.

Do you know how upconversion works? I would be interested in how they do that.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i'm using this feature in my 5790 (not sure how it equates to the rx-v line) ... but it works great.

the picture looks fine and the ease of convenience is great. even when comparing the component out from the receiver versus my direct dvi connection to the tv, the component output looks very close.

i think all receivers should have this feature...it's a god-send.

Rick Wilson

Stunt Coordinator
I need to move my components (including a RX-V992 receiver). This means that I need to purchase new (longer) cables for s-video (VCR), DVD (component 480i) and Sat receiver (component 1080i - HD). Can I connect these sources to the 1400 or 2400 and have the signal upconverted to 1080i so that I will need only 1 long component cable? I have a Mits 65909 TV. It has a 1080i input (HD) that must be used for anything 1080i. If i can get by with only 1 cable I can offset the price and maybe buy a new receiver instead of multiple long cables.

Also, I only have a 5.1 setup. Can you use 5.1 with the 1400 / 2400 or do you have to have more than 5 speakers?

Thanks

Jamie Doucette

Stunt Coordinator
Rick Wilson wrote

Just to be clear, the Yamaha RX-v1400 and 2400 will NOT upconvert the signal to 1080i. You will need an external video processing unit that does this. I am not familiar with any of Mits HDTV's, but it may very well upconvert the signal for you after your 1400/2400 switch the signal to component.

Rick Wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the clarification on upconvert. So, if I understand this correctly, the Yamaha will convert S-video to component. Is this correct? Will the Yamaha have enough bandwidth to pass HD? I have the D* HD package and local HD networks. I would hate to lose resolution on these!

The Mits has a DTV input for 1080i sources. I need to find out if it will accept any component signal. If not, then 1 cable will not work for me.

Rick

Jamie Doucette

Stunt Coordinator

Yes. OK, I did a little research on your tv. Hopefully this is it:

www.mitsubishi-tv.com/ws65909.html
www.mitsubishi-tv.com/PDFs/diamondspec2001.pdf

From the looks of the specification PDF (i hope I'm reading it right) you can hook a component cable to it and it will auto select the incomming signal. I'm pretty sure you only need one component (in your case long) going OUT from the receiver to IN on the hdtv.

Hopefully someone can answer the specific Mitsubishi questions as I have never seen a mits tv before. Maybe start a seperate thread in the tv section on the best way to hook up your tv.

PS: i hope i didn't confuse you. :)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
you have to make sure you're feeding it a 1080i signal.

no mits tv (that i'm aware of) can accept a 720p signal. i have the ws-65313 myself - when i try to give it a 720p signal (from my samsung 931) it just displays a blue screen.

again, don't quote me on that, but i'm pretty sure i'm correct.

Rick Wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the link to the spec sheet. It does say it will accept 480 and 1080 signals and auto detect.

Guess I'll start looking at the 1400 / 2400 and see what I can find.

Rick

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks