What's new

Yamaha receiver question (crossovers..? RX-V757) (1 Viewer)

TimDean

Grip
Yamaha RX-V757 receiver...

I need help understanding the "Small" vs "Large" setting, regarding the front main speakers... Ive read the manual front to back, and cant find anywhere where it mentions what kind of crossover is used when you have your speakers set to "Small"..

Correct me if im wrong, but when its on "Large", all front channel signals are sent to the front speakers, correct? (and low bass signals are sent to the sub, depending on the sub crossover) And when its on "Small", I assume it puts a high pass crossover on the front channel signal/front speakers, and low bass signals are sent to the sub..?? I assume this about the "Small" setting, because it makes sense if you want to limit the small fronts from distorting by playing too low... but maybe im wrong..??

Does that make sense?

I played around with my fronts (and sub) and some test tones, and I couldnt hear a difference between the "Large" vs "Small" setting on the receiver... using like 50hz-100hz test tones.. (although the receiver's sub crossover was definitely working)..

??

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Not really. :frowning:

“Large” and “Small” have nothing to do with “all front channel signals [being] sent to the front speakers.” That’s stereo mode vs .Dolby Digital.

“Large” sends a full-range signal to the main speakers.

“Small” rolls the bass frequencies out of the main speakers.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

TimDean

Grip

Thats what im trying to find out. What frequency does this begin at? What frequencies are blocked when in the "small" setting?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I can’t find it in your manual, but in recent years I believe Yamaha has been using a 90 Hz crossover frequency, 24 dB/octave low pass; not sure of the slope on high pass.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Will.MA

Stunt Coordinator
On my Yamaha HTF-5790, the "small" crossover setting will cutoff frequencies that fall below the crossover setting of my subwoofer, which is variable at about 9 different crossover points between 40Hz and 120Hz. I set the receiver's crossover selection to the THX recommendation of 80. In this case, all frequencies below 80Hz that are present in the center channel program are reproduced by the subwoofer.

TimDean

Grip

Thanks for the input guys!

Will.Ma - Thats what I expected to happen with mine, but it doesnt seem to work that way. I played a loud 80z sine wave through my front speakers, and I was not able to hear a difference when I had the sub crossover above or below that frequency. I also tried 60hz on the mains, and the "Large" and "Small" settings didnt seem to do anything either. Maybe it has something to do with the processing the receiver does (I had this on 2 channel stereo all the while.. who knows..)

Users who are viewing this thread