What's new

Yamaha receiver owners - speakers? (1 Viewer)

Jesse Clift

Agent
Yamaha owners please help me! I need some help deciding on a pair of bookshelf speakers that will sound good with my Yamaha RXV-800. I live in a dorm and have the following equipment:
Yamaha RX-V800
JVC XVSA70BK DVD player
25" Phillips TV (my roommate's)
Boston Acoustics CR7's
I probably listen to music and watch DVD's equally. I like the Bostons but I "borrowed" them from my dad and they have to be returned to him by this Christmas. I was considering the Boston CR75's (anyone know how these compare to the CR7's?) or the Paradigm Mini Monitors which I've heard a lot of good things about. Good bass is important because a sub is the last speaker I expect to purchase. I would like to spend around $300.00. The bookshelf speakers I end up getting will eventually become surrounds when I can afford to buy a set of decent tower speakers. Any recomendations would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.
[Edited last by Jesse Clift on November 04, 2001 at 07:41 PM]

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
I have the Mini Monitors, and they have pretty respectable bass if you can get them away from the wall. They have a lively exciting sound though, which might be too bright for some people, so you might want to hear them with your Yamaha receiver first before making a final choice. In my room/system, I have a fair amount of music where I wouldn't notice if I turned my subwoofer off. Of course, movies would be a different story. However, I don't think you'll get too many speakers that can do significantly better bass than these for $300. And as far as overall sound quality goes, these are truly excellent speakers.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
PSB Image 1B and 2B's are really nice. I almost bought a pair of 2B's to replace my old Boston Acoustics A70 series II's. The PSB's sound a lot like the Bostons in that they are very clean and have a flat frequency response. Fairly decent bass. I kept going up the PSB line until I finally decided on 6T's instead, to replace my Bostons. I still bought 2B's for surrounds and although they are well matched with the front speakers, I almost think its overkill.

Jesse Clift

Agent
Thanks for the input so far guys.
Saurav- You are confirming what I have also heard from several other sources. I just found out that there is a Paradigm dealer in town and I am definitly going to check the mini monitors out, hopefully sometime this week.
Chris- PSB is not a company I am familiar with but I will do a little research and check them out!

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Chris- PSB is not a company I am familiar with but I will do a little research and check them out!
Hmm... Paradigm and PSB are mentioned almost in the same breath in some places. Here's some advice for you, in case you haven't already done this - go through www.audioreview.com for reviews of speakers you're looking for. I know there's a lot of BS there, but you can usually spot a serious review amidst all the rubbish. Anyway, keep an eye on the "Similar components used" field - that is how I got to know of many speaker brands that I hadn't even heard about. For instance, with the Mini Monitors, almost everyone compared it to PSB Alpha and NHT SuperOne. That told me that those two were probably speakers that I should add to my research list.
FYI, I heard all 3 for about 2 hours before picking the Paradigm. My system is music only, and if I had to do it again, I'd probably pick the NHT. For an HT system, between those three I would recommend the Paradigm without any hesitation.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
I have Paradigm Monitor 7s with the Yamaha RX-V1200. They sound great, and the ability to set the bass routing to both in the future with a sub, is a great feature of the Yamahas. Edit: I didnt even finish my thought... duh. I think the minis would sound great with the Yamahas because they always seem to have enough power to fill in the low end. Receivers (like my old cheap sony) dont have enough power to really let even a decent bookshelf put out the kind of bass theyre capable of.
------------------
My Website: Link Removed
e-mail me: [email protected]
My DVD Profiler
Paradigm Lover
[Edited last by Charles J P on November 03, 2001 at 08:38 PM]

I have Klipsch RF-3's with my Yamaha RV-V995 and I think they sound great for the price that I paid.
------------------
Ted Robinson

Jesse Clift

Agent
Great input everyone.
Saurav- Thanks for the link, audioreview is a great site and has been one of my bookmarks for a while now. In fact, that is the first place I went when Chris mentioned "PSB". :)
This will be the first set of speakers I will have ever purchased, so I'm just beginning to do the type of research that I did before buying my reciever and dvd player. I'm sure there are a lot of companies out there building quality speakers that I have never heard of.

Dave Simpson

Second Unit
Jesse,
I just couldn't let this thread pass me by without chimin' in with my own two cents worth. I believe the fellas here have given you some great suggestions, none of which is likely to steer you wrong. However, of all these speakers, my favourite is surely www.axiomaudio.com 's Millennia M3TI. I'm using a Yamaha 795a receiver (a year older than your 800, but almost comparable; 85wpc x 5) in my living room with a PSB Image (4T mains, 8C center, 3LR rears)set-up for HT and straight two-channel, and I don't regret my purchase for a second (I greatly preferred the PSBs to the Paradigm Monitor line, but that's just me). But after reading some almost-too-good-to-be-true web reviews of the M3TI through the first six months of this year, I bit the bullet and bought a pair without listening in July, intending them for use in my bedroom. In this room, the M3s are somewhat unremarkable, but this I chalk up to my SO's POS, ten year-old Pioneer DPL receiver. Sure enough, hooked up to my Yammie in my living room, these bookshelf speakers spring to life and sing like nobody's business! Clear-as-a bell, but never fatiguing highs, smooth as silk mids, and really surprising (to my ear, at least) bottom-end, given their book-shelf size, and as said in this month's www.goodsound.com review, they "image like crazy"! As I said, I love my PSBs, but I find I'm always looking for an excuse to bring the M3s downstairs for a few days at a time. I guess I just love the Axioms a little bit more than the PSBs. Now here's where, for you, it really gets good: price. Axiom does the lion's share of their biz via web-based mail-order; final price is $275US, to your door, all taxes and shipping in. Don't like 'em? Send 'em back, after 30 days, Axiom pays return shipping. BTW, customer service is first-rate, as well, I have found.
My apologies for being such a wind-bag, but I truly belive you'd be doing yourself a dis-service by not giving them a try. And hey gang, I don't work for Axiom, I'm just a thrilled customer. Please note my post-count, and member-since date; I generally shut the hell up, until I think I really have something worth contributing to the forum. In the case of these speakers, I believe I've done just that. Best of luck with whatever you buy, Jesse. Cheers!
DS.
------------------
"Buncha slack-jawed faggots around here! This stuff'll make ya a goddam sexual tyrannasorse...just like me!"
Dave's Really Moldy HT Page

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Axiom is a good suggestion too. Also, don't forget, even though we are suggesting Canuck speaker because they are great speakers and your dollar goes like forever right now, Bostons are a good option too. I loved my Boston A70 II's and would have bought a pair of CR9's for a bookshelf room system if it wasn't for the fact that my PSB's sound so similar and match with the center and surrounds so well. I believe the CR9 is essentially similar to the old Boston A70 II's I had, being that they have an 8 inch midwoofer, but instead, they are now ported. The only drawback is that the CR 7, 8 and 9 are all rear ported (kinda impossible to put in a bookshelf that has tight space!) and also more expensive than an equal speaker made up here. Again, our low dollar is good for you the speaker purchaser right now.
BTW, the good thing about the PSB image 1B and 2B's is that they ARE FRONT PORTED, which is VERY bookshelf friendly.
Personally, I think 2 really cool Image speakers they could add would be a 3LR type design with 6.5 inch drivers instead of the 5 1/4" drivers. That would be a 2B with higher efficiency and more bass but still be a bookshelf, meaning, not a tower speaker. It would be a 5T in a smaller enclosure. Likewise, a neat speaker would be a 6T with 5 1/4" drivers. Narrow and efficient with similar bass as the 5T. Oh well. I love my 6T's :)
[Edited last by Chris PC on November 04, 2001 at 11:24 AM]

Jesse Clift

Agent
Wonderful post Dave! This is exactly the type of response I was hoping for. Judging by Axiom's website and the reviews I've read on audioreview.com Axiom seems to make an excellent product. The ability to ship the speakers back at Axiom's expense after 30 days is also very appealing. I think I am going to start out by listening to the mini monitors at the local Paradigm dealer tommorow. Depending on how that goes, I might just have to order the Millenia M3ti's just to hear what they sound like. I can't wait to start auditioning some speakers!
[Edited last by Jesse Clift on November 04, 2001 at 03:14 PM]

Jesse Clift

Agent
I would just like to thank everybody for all the terrific input so far. This thread has already far exceeded my expectations. :)

Dave Simpson

Second Unit
Jesse,
I in fact had a bit more to say about the M3s in my previous post, but I figured I was flirting with over-kill. Given your favourable response to my thoughts, however, I'm guessing you may be able to stand just a bit more. My great satisfaction with the M3s does not end with their sound. To wit, I find the build quality, the fit and finish to be heads above the competition. My PSB Image models are finished quite nicely for their price, IMO, yet there are visible seams in the rear of each. A small thing, to be sure, since we're rarely looking at the backs of our speakers, but it does give an indication of the quality of the cabinetry. The Axioms have no seams at all that I can discern. Also, the actual vinyl used in the finish has a much smoother feel to the touch than the PSBs. It will take a more skilled wood-worker than I (that is to say, I am fully ignorant and unskilled in this regard) to tell you how Axiom does it. Furthermore, the binding posts on the rear are fitted with gold-plated brass fittings, unlike PSBs and Paradigm's plastic nuts. Again, no biggie, but another indicator of the quality.
Care for another somewhat primitive, wholly subjective comparison? You've come to the right place. I purchased, two months before the M3s, and one year after the PSBs, a pair of British-made Monitor Audio Bronze 2 (I like buying speakers, y'know?
biggrin.gif
). The Bronze 2s are comparable to all the other bookshelf models discussed here (6.5 inch woofer, 1 inch metal tweeter, front-ported), but they are somewhat more expensive, and in my view, definately not worth the extra scratch. Fit and finish, compared to the Axioms, is poor. In their favour, the rear offers two sets of binding posts (plastic nuts), should you choose to bi-wire or bi-amp. As for the sound (duh!), these speakers simply don't excite me; they don't give me a stupid grin across my face as do the Axioms. Also, I find the Bronze 2s slightly finnicky regarding placement in my room; they require considerably greater effort on my part to achieve a satisfactory image. My apologoies to any Monitor Audio fans if it sounds as though I'm trashing the Bronze 2s; I'm not. They're fully capable on their own, I simply find the Axiom moreso, and cheaper, to boot.
One caveat: as Chris stated above, of all these brands and models mentioned, only the PSBs and Bronze 2s are front-ported. IMO, you will not get the greatest performance possible from any of these book-shelf speakers (including those that are front-ported) by placing them in, or on, a book-shelf. A rear-ported speaker will require roughly 12 inches of space, give or take, behind it to get the job properly done. Therfore, the true price of any bookshelf speaker is what you've paid, plus the cost of a reasonable pair of stands (as little as $50 to the sky's-the-limit). You can buy stands from Axiom if you care to, but you may prefer to search the web for some variety. Try www.audioadvisor.com for starters.
Thanks for slugging it through a second extended post. If you're interested, I have a tale regarding Axiom's prompt customer service that I'd be pleased to recount, either here or via e-mail. Let me know. And good luck, sir! Cheers.
DS.
P.S. I believe Rick Radford, another member, might support some of my opinions about the Axioms...a search under his name might furnish further info...
------------------
"Buncha slack-jawed faggots around here! This stuff'll make ya a goddam sexual tyrannasorse...just like me!"

Matt Everett

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Yamaha RX-V795a, which I am guessing is similar to your receiver. I am using 4 Phase Technology Teatro 4.5's for the mains and surrounds, and a Teatro 6.5 for the center channel. I think it's a good setup for budget home theater, and I've been very happy with it. It sounds like you need mostly stereo music reproduction right now, and I've been very happy with the 4.5's. First of all, they are cheap. I got a pair for $182, and full retail isn't much more. Imaging and treble response are very good. Midrange is warm and uncolored. Bass response is good for the size of the speaker (one 5 1/4 inch driver). It's not an incredible volume of bass, but it's pretty tight and the electric bass line is always well-defined.
The speaker is ported, and (at least in my room) sounds best if you can place it about 2 ft. from the wall. If your dorm is as small as mine, that might be an issue.
There are plenty of great suggestions on this thread, but I figured throwing one more into the mix can't hurt. www.phasetech.com is the website in case you are interested. Someone has already suggested www.audioreview.com which has reviews for the Teatro 4.5 in addition to hundreds of other speakers.
Have fun in college! I miss those days!
------------------

Jesse Clift

Agent
Wow Dave, sounds like you really love your M3's! Build quality is definitly something that I look at and take into consideration. Right now the M3's and the mini monitors are on the top of my list to audition. If the mini monitors don't blow me away tommorow I'm going to order the M3's. I would definetly be interested in your customer service story, I have never purchased anything online before and am a little wary. Email me at jbone1234@hotmail or post, which ever you prefer. :)

Dave Simpson

Second Unit
Hey Jesse, that e-mail address was a dead-end for me, so I've no choice but to post here...
----------------------------------------------------------
I'm e-mailing instead of posting on the board because I find that once I start yakkin' about the Axiom M3s, I can barely shut up, and I know how I sometimes get sick of hearing about Norhs, SVS subs, etc. on the board. I'd just prefer not to be a blow-hard there, y'know? In the past when I've suggested Axiom on the HTF, I've normally been greeted with indifference (I suspect that Axiom makes the best speaker nobody's ever heard, or heard of, but I also suspect that is slowly changing). But since you've shown a genuine interest, I'm happy to have your ear. Okay, enough of the preamble; here's my Axiom customer service yarn:
As I stated in my initial post on your thread, Axiom does most of their biz over the web to customers in the US (like you). Here in Canada (where the speakers are made), the web price is much less attractive to me, since Axiom lists their prices in American dollars. After the currency conversion, the price is on a par with most of the other models that were discussed, and these other models are readily available in local retail outlets. The Axioms are not. The M3s can be found in some stores around here, but one really has to search high and low. I called Axiom and expressed my frustration with the situation, but there wasn't much they could do to help me, short of having a pair sent to a nearby store, but that would leave me with little to no bargaining power with the dealer. The trick, for me, was to find a dealer with existing stock. I wound up locating a pair in a store about 90 minutes drive away from me. I normally wouldn't have the trip, but I have a friend living in the same small town. Two birds with one stone, right? I had my friend buy the speakers and hold them in his house for me for a week. Here's where the tale begins to turn: upon removing them from the box in my friend's living room, I was disappointed to find that one of the speakers had a pretty large ding in the side of the cabinet (Axiom sells blemished-cabinet versions, sometimes known as 'B' stock, of some of their speakers for cheaper prices, but I had paid regular price for an 'A' stock pair). I chalked up the ding to some rough handling during shipping, but it could just as easily have been poor QC, can't say one way or the other. Off to the dealer we went for an exchange. Of course, the dealer had no further stock. All he could offer was a swap with one of his floor models, which I wasn't too keen on, but I figured I'd take a look, all the same. I noticed immediately that the dealer's pair on the floor was different from what I had been sold. Turns out that Axiom had made some modifications (mainly cosmetic) to the M3, without making any noise about it on their web-site (you can read about the differences between the M3TI and the M3TI-SE at http://www.goodsound.com/equipment.shtml . The SE is the current model, and its predecessor has been discontinued. The SE is the model I have, and the one which would be shipped you, if you so chose to buy). The dealer was not aware of this change, and I surely wasn't going to go home with one SE and one non-SE, I'm sure you understand. The only option left to me by the dealer was to leave my pair behind, and have the him order a replacement pair, to be picked up by me, after another long drive the following week. I'd read enough raves about Axiom on the web to gamble on their service, so I told the dealer I'd resolve the issue with Axiom, and see you around ('sides, blemish or no, I was dyin' to get these things home and hooked up!). Next day, I called Axiom's 1-800 number and explained the situation. The only question she asked of me was my name and address. Two days later, the courier was at my door to pick up the blems, the day after that, I had a perfect replacement pair at my door, and all with zero shipping charges to me, and no BS. I was thoroughly impressed with their quick service. And hey, while I'm at it, here's a quick one: I've owned an Axiom sub for about two years now (EP-175, love it, but you'd find greater value over the web with a sub from Adire or HSU, I think). Last spring I was browsing the Axiom web-site, and noticed that the same sub I have is advertised as including a spike kit for the floor. No such set of spikes came with my sub. I e-mailed Axiom about it, and they sent me a spike-kit, free of charge, no shipping fees, within a week. The warranty for my sub had expired about five months prior to that, so they were under no obligation to help me out. It's a small thing, but it's small things like that, that spreads a company good PR.
Okay, thanks bearing with me. One final thought. I hope you enjoy trying out the Mini Monitors tomorrow, but consider this: as you know, if you try the M3s and find that they're not to your liking, you have 30 days to return them, no obligation or cost to you. With the Minis, I doubt you'll be offered the same luxury. My point is that your dealer will be still be selling Minis in 30 days. Food for thought, sir.
Thanks again for your attention here, Jesse. Let me know whatever you wind up with, either at this e-mail address, or on the board. Cheers!
DS.
------------------

Thomas_A

Second Unit
I'll just throw my .02cents in here. I have had my 795a for 2 yrs now... the 800 is its replacement. I have run many speakers off this baby and I still like it very much today. Nice reciever. I'm running Polk towers and bookshelves on mine. I have th 2000's and the 55i's up front and 800's rear. the Polk and yammie sound nice...and though they are not as "posh" as PSB and others...definatly take a listen.
Best reguards...thomas
------------------
So far, So good, So what
Link Removed
http://thomas2307.homestead.com/thomasworld.html

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks