Yamaha HTR vs. RX lines...differences? What about H/K?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark.Louis, Oct 14, 2002.

1. Mark.Louis

Mark.Louis Stunt Coordinator

Greetings. Am looking into entry-level HT SS receivers, $300-500 price range. Really like the Yamaha HTR-5560, but I notice that a lot of people here write about the RX line of receivers from Yamaha. Are there any really differences between the two lines of receivers? My investigation has revealed that some models have the same exact specs...is one considered more audiophile than the other?

Also, I like the H/K AVR-225 for the musicality, but keep reading about quality/shut-down problems...is this problem overblown or how real is it?

Final receiver is the Denon 1803, but I am not as crazy about that one. Onkyo TX DS-600 was in the running for while, but I have read the new models (this one replacing the 595) are inferior to previous ones.

Mark

2. Patrick TX

Patrick TX Stunt Coordinator

3. Arron H

Arron H Second Unit

I have heard that the HTR receivers do not have preouts but I have not looked at one closely to confirm. The RXVs have preouts and so, you can use them as a processor with a separate power amp providing the juice.

4. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

The HTR line definitely includes receivers with pre-outs, the HTR-5560 being one example.

--AM

5. AndrewBest

AndrewBest Extra

It was my impression that the RX line sounded more natural than the HTR line.

I recently auditioned a pair of Axiom M60's with the RX-720 and a low budget Pioneer (411 model or equivalent). The Yamaha definitely sounded more smooth in the treble and well balanced.

Don't know if that helps, just thought I'd put my 2 cents in.

6. Chris Brown

Chris Brown Stunt Coordinator

-