What's new

Yamaha HTR-5590 component monitor outputs from S-Video sources? (1 Viewer)

Bif Powell

Auditioning
I have a Yamaha HT-5590 that I just setup. Seems decent for the price, and I can already hear a difference from my old (1998) Sony receiver. The salesperson at BestBuy said that I could use the component monitor outputs on the receiver as my sole video outputs to the TV; meaning if I had other S-Video (like my SAT-T60 DirecTivo), and RCA video inputs, those would be converted into a component signal through the component monitor video outputs. This would keep me from having to change video sources on the TV (Sony HD LCD Projection) from Say Video 1 for RCA and S-Video, to like Video 6 which has composite inputs for watching movies. This isn't happening (automatically anyway), and the I/O setup options in the manual appear to be audio-related only. The manual is unclear, but at one point it highlights the fact that it does S-Video->composite conversion, and I would think if they are culling that conversion out, they would also highlight S-Video->component conversion...*shrug* Can anyone enlighten me here? What receivers will do this, or can I buy a box to do it - there is one component input free - so I wouldn't mind going Tivo/S-Video->Converter/Component->Receiver/Component Input...or any other options obviously.

Many thanks!

John S

Senior HTF Member
These conversions, are so poor, your better off not trading the Picture Quality trade off for the convienience.

There are AVR's that do this though. They typically will be significantly higher end products than your current system.

On the lower end, I think Sony and Pioneer receivers do this.

When I do an HT install for somebody, I usually just make all the video connections from receiever to the HDTV.

Most of the time, this is Component, Svideo and Composite.

The I tell them to select what they want on the AVR remote, then cycle through the AV inputs on the TV til they see what the source they want.

Has seemed quite adequate for most people so far.
I generally do not program remotes for people.

Thomas_A

Second Unit
Looking at the Yamaha spec sheets when I was buying my RX-V2400...only recievers that have the componant upscale conversion are the RX-Z9, RX-V2400/1400.

The models below do not have it according to the spec sheets wich is why I looked to the 1400 or higher. I get extremely good-clear picture doing this...

found this on the Yamaha site:

S-VIDEO AND COMPONENT VIDEO INPUTS AND OUTPUTSThe HTR-5590 has S-video inputs and two S-video outputs. The receiver incorporates two component video inputs.

no mention of the componant up-conversion?

Doug Clark

Grip
John S--

You say that the conversions are generally poor. Are you referring to "up" conversions, or "down" conversions?

My Yamaha HTR-5660 comes in the big brown truck on Monday (weather-permitting). The manual advertises a composite/S-video conversion... meaning I can run S-video into the receiver, and run composite out to the television (and the receiver will convert the S-video to composite).

I have to (unfortunately) have composite video out, as my Panasonic 32" television has no S-video or component inputs.

Will a "down" conversion from S-video to composite look poorer than the original composite?

(and before you say that the easy solution would be to just run a composite video out from the DVD and forget about it... right now my cable budget is zero until next payday... and right now I have just one composite video cable, and one S-video cable)

Thanks much...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks