What's new

Yamaha DSP-Z9 :( (1 Viewer)

King-0f-Clever

Auditioning
Real Name
Philipp
alright i got the flagship model from Yamaha and am having issues with DTS.
Playing a HDDVD or normal DVD with sound option set to DTS i get this loud poping sound. I have swapped out DVD players, changed cables, unplugged the cable modem that is sitting next tp the stereo rack. All these things to no avail. Heck i even took the reciever into a tech and had them change out the entire digital sound processing board this still didnt work. my only option i have left is the speaker wire. Which i doubt because when watching DVDs in DD or THX or any other setting besides DTS this problem doesnt occur.

Dave>h

Second Unit
Hi,

Does it happen only when you have it set to DTS input? That is, if you use "auto" on the amp, pick the DTS sound track from the disk and let the amp figure out it is a DTS signal, do you still get the popping sound?

What have you got your DVD player set to? Are you using analog or digital out to the amp? If digital, do you have the settings correct in your DVD player?

You have probably tried all those but you never know. Lots of permutations which could cause problems.

Dave

King-0f-Clever

Auditioning
Real Name
Philipp
DTS is set to auto on the amp.
I am running a digital cable for sound.
Current Setting in the DVD player are digital out SPDF bitstream
digital hdmi out auto
Thanks Dave

Dave>h

Second Unit
No Problem,

Not an expert on these things but have some experience with Yamaha products (I own an older DSP a1).

The popping sound, is it coming from the sub or all speakers? Does it occur all the time or intermittently or randomly?

Are you connecting with a digital coax cable or an hdmi cable? I don't think the Z9 supports HDMI so probably coax for the sound. What kind of DVD player or hd dvd player?

You select DTS soundtrack from the DVD menu, the amp, set to auto, detects the DTS track and shows "DTS" logo on the amp's screen and switches to DTS Soundfiled on the amp, correct?

I think bitstream is the correct setting on the DVD player but you may want to consult the DVD manual just to make sure - not sure what SPDF is so that could be an issue. Is there more than one type of bitstream?

Have you consulted with Yamaha about the problem? I have found there helpdesk to be very helpful on technical issues but you need to supply them with exact equipment and exact settings.

Sorry not more helpful. Have you tried running analog 5.1 cables from the DVD to amp? Let the dvd player do the decding and see if that works.

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks