What's new

Yamaha DSP Modes: Do you have a favorite? (1 Viewer)

DaleI

Stunt Coordinator
Do you use the DSP modes to alter the surrounds in DD, DTS? What do you feel the benefits are? Do you feel it takes away from the experience the director wanted you to have? What is your favorite DSP setting? 70mm Adventure? 70mm Spectale?

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
My favorite DSP is the SPORTS mode I use when watching a ball game or Nascar race. I never use DSPs for movie watching.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
I always prefer direct DTS or Dolby Digital, but I used to have a Yamaha DSP-A2070, top of the heap in it's heyday. Anyway, my favorite on that piece was the 35mm and 70mm modes. You can say one thing, but Yamaha is clearly the best when it comes to DSP.

joe logston

Stunt Coordinator
use only direct dolby digital or dts, if you dont have on the soft ware you can use the effects on soft ware that is pro logic or two channel this is the best way to do it but if you like a certain effects go for it you can set to your room; thank you,joe logston

joe logston

Stunt Coordinator
ps the yamaha you have is still better than some of the stuff thats out there now its a keeper i have a yamaha rx-v1 (gold) i love it thank you again,joe

Bill Bradstreet

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a fan of 70mm Adventure for video (ProLogic for TV, DolbyDigital for DVD). I've tweaked it for my space... I get compliments on how it sounds. I use Warehouse Loft for stereo music. Again, I've tweaked it for my space and it sounds awesome.

This is on a DSP-A3090.

Jim_Stu

Stunt Coordinator
Because my 'surround' channel outputs feeds three

others rooms in the house, via Russound, I always

run my HTR-5280 like this:

CDs, tape, tuner, & TV = 'All Channel Stereo" DSP

DVD Movies = DD/DTS "Enhanced" DSP

JRS

Robert McClanahan

Stunt Coordinator
I have owned three Yamahas over the years,RX-V990,RX-V995,and the current RX-V3000.I have always chosen the 70mm general mode.I like the expanded mode too.My 3000 is the first one I have owned that has effects speaker outputs.I am using effects speakers and love the way it sounds.

Bill Bradstreet

Stunt Coordinator
I can't imagine an HT room without the front effect speakers. I really like the extra soundstage they've added for my DSP-A3090. I actually have the front effects BELOW the mains. Seems to accomplish what I need for my current room.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
On my previous Yam, the 2095, I used Spectacle most of the time on dvd movies and now on my RX-V1, I usually go with DTS or DD enhanced. I too use the extra effects speakers and the extra soundstage is well worth it. For tv viewing, I found 70mm MT General to work well in dispersing sound although this varies with the source. The RX-V1 handles things a little differently than the 2095 and has taken me a while to get familiar with it and find the right combo. All I can say now is that it is superior to anything else that I have heard lately. What we would have given for one of these during those 70's parties!

joe logston

Stunt Coordinator
i use 2 energy take 5 for my effects on my rx-v1 you got to use the inhanced mold to get the effects speakers i keep it there now though. thank you, joe

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
I've never been happy with the process modes on movies... it may be that I haven't tuned them in just right, but I always find that dialog picks up a nasty slap-echo...
But fairly often, particularly when I'm out of the prime area, I'll use Concert Hall D or E for stereo music.
Leo Kerr
[email protected]

Dan A

Agent
I use a variety of the DSPs on my r-xv890 (dolby surround). for movies one of the wider modes does the trick, but I can't wait to upgrade to DD/DTS so that some real sound comes out of my rears.

Music is actually where I use the DSPs the most. For good recordings straight 2-channel is fine, but so much of my music is older discs and listenting to concerts on TV, and the DSPs help. Depending on the music and the mood any of these might be better than the original. The TV dsp adds seperation among instruments but flattens the soundstage. Jazz is a very good one for blues and jazz recordings. Rock concert is occaisionally used for concert broadcasts.

With any of the DSPs the key is to adjust the delays to your liking. As I look for another receiver, and think aout how it will actually perform in my house, I lean towards another Yamaha. For me the DSPs add a lot of value. I know listening test are valuable but realistically the stores can't do them in a meaningful way, and I'm not likely to do home auditions. Is the potential difference in straight 2-channel sound between Denon, Onkyo and Yamaha so great that I am willing to give up the flexibility of the Yamaha. Right now I don't think so.

The 2200 looks attractive but the 3200 has got me interested. I would like to have the front effects speakers, but am wondering what the "blended with the mains" will actually produce.

Nicholas A. Gallegos

Stunt Coordinator
I have an HTR-5280. I don't use the DSP modes too often, but my favorites are as follows:

Movies: Enhanced and sometimes, 70mm Spectacle

Stereo/Mono-only Programs: 5-Channel Stereo

Surround TV Programs: Enhanced

joe logston

Stunt Coordinator
the yamaha rx-v1 has automatic switching wend the dolby digital ex or dts es solfware is played, it will be 8.1 with the effects on, matrix in the rear center & the 2 effects channels. on my system it is a lot better to have effects speakers on os thats the why i have it, i didnt do that at frist but found later that the best way. thank you, joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks