What's new

Yamaha DSP A1000 - Shut off Problem (1 Viewer)

bigredjon

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon
Hey guys,

So I have never posted on this forum before, but have used it a lot as a reference point for home audio problems. Recently, I purchased a Yamaha DSP A1000 (older model, probably early 90s but one of the pioneers in surround sound) and it played fine when the person I bought it from played it for me. I got it home, hooked it up to my ipod and some Klipsch KG4 speakers, and it worked for about 10 min. before shutting off. Now, every time I try to turn on the amp/receiver it shuts off within about 3 seconds. Every attempt to change this has resulted in failure. I am sure this has something to do with the 6 ohm min amp being hooked up to the 4 ohm speakers, but find it strange as the guy I bought them from has owned them for about 15 years and never had a problem. Is there a way to disable this protection system or is it good that it is enabled? I'm hoping to avoid a repair shop as it can get costly quickly, and I already spent $300 on the amp, 2 KG4 speakers, and a Carver CT-7 Tuner.

Let me know if any of you have seen or heard of this before.

Thanks!
Jon

bigredjon

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon
Just a note, the amp clicks before it shuts off in about 3 seconds, and there is nothing hooked up to it, and I have tried different outlets...

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I would make sure there are no frayed wires on the amp or speakers that are touching each other. Are you driving it loud? Even if the Klipsch are 4 ohm, they are so sensitive I wouldn't expect it to be a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks