What's new

Yamaha DSP-A1 versus RX-V1 versus ??? (1 Viewer)

jim_mckenna

Auditioning
Ok, so it's about that time to upgrade. I love my DSP-A1 but would like to step up to component video switching, a little more power, and 6.1 at least. I hate to upgrade, but the RX-V1s have really come down enough in price that my net cost would only be a couple of hundred to upgrade. Any thoughts out there as to the benefits of moving up to the RX-V1 or any suggestions of a comparable receiver such as maybe the Marantz 9200 or Onkyo?

Thanks for your input!

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
As far as I can see from your equipment list (which isn’t supposed to be listed in your signature, by the way – see #6, Forum Rules and FAQ) the only unit you have that might have a component video output is the DVD player. That’s not enough to justify an upgrade, IMO – you would need at least a couple of component video sources to make it worthwhile.

As long as it the only source with component video, I’d just plug the DVD player directly into the TV and keep the A1.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

jim_mckenna

Auditioning
Thanks for the heads-up on the sig.

Thanks for the analysis, but you failed to help in the least. I also have cable HDTV - HENCE the need for component video switching.

Any opinions on the original question out there which was the benefits of switching from the DSP-A1 to the RX-V1? Perhaps the Denon 5900? Thanks!

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
A little more power won't do much for you. I added a 120x2 in place of my 50x2 and it didn't change a thing. 50 watts makes my ears bleed fine, thanks.

As far as 6.1 vs. 5.1, it's up to you. Be a man and make up your own mind, and take it easy on Wayne. He's just being honest about one point - the need for component switching.

Me? 5.1 is fine. It's just a friggin movie, and I only upgrade when a good piece dies, or my room changes and I can make a real change, like 'stats that really NEED the power (250 or more). Otherwise you chase the corporate marketing machine. When they cone out with DPLIIIX2, gee, what then?

Marty Neudel

Stunt Coordinator
Jim.

a lot of people(I'm included in that group) who auditioned the RX-V1 and the DSP-A1 in their homes found the amps in the V1 to be cleaner sounding. The improved circuitry does account for this in a rationally objective fashion. If you can hear the V1 at home, do so.

For only a couple of hundred, I think you'll find the upgrade well worthwhile.

Marty

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks