What's new

Yamaha can't help me make receiver work (1 Viewer)

curveball

Auditioning
Real Name
Terry
A few weeks ago I purchased a Yamaha HTR-6130 receiver and a Boston Acoustics HPS120 subwoofer.
I had to put my ear to the grill of the subwoofer to hear the rumbling in it. Indeed it was the HD concert channel I had on.

Yamaha tech support took me through all setup possibilities, including raising the volume setting in the receiver to the maximum for the subwoofer, to no avail.
I pulled out an old Philips receiver and the new subwoofer worked fine. I attached my old Philips subwoofer to the new Yamaha and it was the same quietly muffled result.
Tech guy had me run the subwoofer line into the "left" port on the subwoofer rather than the LFE. Not much difference.

So I shipped it back and got another from another vendor, Amazon, which unlike the first is kosher for Yamaha warranties. Same problem, same help from Yamaha tech, same details.

So, knowing that life sometimes throws us odd stuff, I shipped that one back for a replacement from Amazon.
Set up the third new receiver today. Same old, same old.
Yamaha tech guy suggested buying another model receiver.

I am tired of packing and unpacking and traipsing to the UPS dropoff. Embarrassed, too, at putting perfectly good vendors through all this along with me. Again, the new subwoofer and the old subwoofer work fine with another receiver.

Anybody got ideas for making this one work.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Just double checking............
It's not plugged into the multi ch. input for sub, is it? A mistake a lot of people makes. Speakers set to small, in receiver's setup menus? Other than that, I'm not sure what else to tell you. Surely they walked you through making sure the sub was turned on, and level adjusted, in receiver's setup menus?

hodedofome

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Smith
Probably the speakers are set to "large," make sure the speakers are set to "small." Just wanted to emphasize what Ed said, I'll bet that's your issue.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
One thing to try is the internal test tones of the receiver. These will tell you for sure if your sub is working. If you get good sound from your sub with the test tones, the problem is with your settings. If you get no sound, the problem is hardware.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks