Y Tu Mama Tambien Region 2

Discussion in 'DVD' started by PaulEB, Mar 29, 2003.

1. PaulEB

PaulEB Stunt Coordinator

Is it possible for someone in region 1 to buy this DVD from the Amazon.com UK site, or is it illegal?

I've noticed the extra features are much better on the region 2 DVD and I believe my PC can play any region DVD(legal?).

2. Sean Campbell

Sean Campbell Second Unit

It's not illegal to buy DVDs from other regions and never has been, so you should have no problem ( I'm in Europe and I order stuff from the US Amazon all the time ). It's also not illegal to own a multi region DVD player or DVD-ROM. As far as I know, to make such things illegal would be a major violation of basic consumer rights.

3. PaulEB

PaulEB Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Sean. Soneone mentioned software called DVD Genie that can allow products such as Win DVD to allow playback of any region DVD. Is this allowable as well?

4. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

I don't know if technically DVDGenie is legal or not, but practically, I have never heard of anybody selling any region free product being harassed. That includes list of endless region free DVD players advertised on EBay or many DVD outlets, such as Yesasia.com, DeepDiscountDVD,..and in CNET download.com, there are a number of products advertised too. Since none of these has any disclaimer (such as provided in DVD copy hardware or software), I kind of suspect it's legal.
    Whether DVDgenie will help in your particular case, is not totally cut and dry. DVDgenie only handles the "soft" portion of the region free business, in other words, if your DVD drive itself is manufactured before year 2000, it's pretty safe. Otherwise, all DVD drives manufactured after 2000 is "supposed" to have firmware enforced region coding. BUT, that's not "hard and fast" either, as I know some very major manufacturers, such as LiteON (sell under it's own brand as well as OEM to other brands), still makes region free DVD drives.
    Go to VCDhelp.com and you should find all you ever want to know there.

5. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

Indeed, it is probably region coded players that are illegal, as they operate as a restriction on consumers being able to play DVDs legitimately purchased from other regions. Obviously, with the wealth of titles in the US, there is much ignorance at the retail level over region free players, but outside North America region coded players are less and less attractive, such that many of the manufacturers don't even bother to region code their players (or make them especially easy to modify). The manufacturers have no interest in maintaining the region coding fiction, and some government consumer bodies (such as in Australia) have all but declared region coding illegal.

6. PaulEB

PaulEB Stunt Coordinator

It is frustrating here in region 1 at times. There are some titles that are released in region 2 for example that have better extra features. Y Tu Mama Tambien is one of those examples. I hear the Italian release is a bare bones package. I just don't understand the disconnect between all the various releases for one movie. I have never desired to look into other regions, but since I discovered that Y Tu Mama Tambien has the extra features in the region 2 release, I'm thinking of making my first purchase. As long as I can make it work on my PC.

7. Vincent Matis

Vincent Matis Second Unit

Are you sure that buying DVD from other regions are not in fact violating copyrights??
    By importing this DVD, you're depriving whoever bought the rights to distribute this movie/DVD in the US from revenues because of lost sales...

Vincent

8. Sean Campbell

Sean Campbell Second Unit

9. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

>>Are you sure that buying DVD from other regions are not in fact violating copyrights??

10. Vincent Matis

Vincent Matis Second Unit

I'm not saying that the idea of region coding isn't stupid ('cause let's face it, it's really stupid) or anything... But there were clear action taken by the studios to avoid imported R1 DVD in France for exemple... And if a studio sell let's say TV shows rights for syndication (often exclusive) but that everybody in the US imports the DVD 'cause the show is being released elsewhere, this IMHO clearly deprives the buyer of the syndication rights of revenues.
    Speaking of Titanic, it was distributed by Paramount in R1, but by 20th Fox in R2. Thus by buying R1 when living in R2 you're giving money to Paramount instead of 20th FOX... Shouldn't 20th Fox be mad?

BTW, most of my collection is R1 (but I live in R2) because I want to be able to choose the "best" release available, no matter in which region the DVD was released...
    One more question (as a non native English speaker): when you answer "No" to a question starting with "Are you sure..." you're really saying that you're not sure... the opposite of the rest of your answer... or am I wrong? I know it is the case in French, but in English?

Cheers,

Vincent

11. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

It is only illegal to import if you intend to re-sell the imported DVD for commercial gain. Importation for personal use is, and always has been, legal and would, in any event, be impossible to police.

12. PaulEB

PaulEB Stunt Coordinator

If I purchase the Region 2 version of Y Tu Mama Tambien, which is PAL format (UK Amazon), will I be able to play this on my PC(assuming I have a region free DVD drive and player)?

13. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

Yes.

14. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

15. PaulEB

PaulEB Stunt Coordinator

Given that it will work on my PC (laptop), will I also be able to use the S-video port on my laptop and view the DVD on a TV?

16. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

No - unless, that is, you happen to be the proud owner of a multi-system TV (prevalent in PAL countries but afaik not so in the USA)...

. . . [​IMG] . . .

17. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor