What's new

Y-splitter for HD component video instead of expensive switch? (1 Viewer)

BrianEK

Stunt Coordinator
I have been reading many threads about component video switchers. I have a new HDTV and already ran out of inputs. From what I've read you have to spend at least $100+ to get a good switch that doesn't affect quality. can I just use a good Y-splitter cable? I saw some good looking monster cable 2 female to 1 male connectors and they are only $15 a piece. So 3 packs are a lot cheaper than the component switch. But I want to make sure I won't lose significant quality because the monster cable splitter is technically meant for audio, at least that is what the box says. So I don't know how this might affect a video signal. I would be hooking up my prog. scan dvd player and HD box to the splitter. Tell me if this would be OK solution without affecting quality significantly.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Nope. Bad idea.

There is a thing called "Impedence". It's like asking that all the blocks of concrete in your sidewalk be the same level. The input jacks on your TV appear as a 75 ohm impedence so the best 'sidewalk' is one that is also exactly 75 ohms.

All video cables are made with 75 ohm coax and the better cables have RCA connectors that come close.

But strange things happen if you put a dumb "Y" splitter on the line. You no longer have a 75 ohm impedence. This can cause reflections/ghosting of your video image.

And the faster the video signals are - the worse the problem is. (Like a speed bump: not a problem at 10 mph, but horrible at 50 mph).

People have used the Radio Shack $40 L/R/Video mechanical switch box and say it works fine for their HD systems.

Good Luck.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
So your talking about 15 x 3 plus taxes etc. for a "marginal" solution. So for less than $60 more..

right now I am selling a NEW HD switcher that will support 2 component outputs with remote control for $105. See the for sale area if interested and there is a link in the thread to see the product and its specs.

Regards

Gregg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks