Y-Splitter Cable into Sub = 3-10 dB gain?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Glenn Verde, Apr 29, 2004.

1. Glenn Verde

Glenn Verde Extra

I read on a internet cable company that using a Y-splitter into the stereo input of a sub instead of a single cable into the mono input could produce anywhere from 3-10dB gain. Is this true or is it a marketing hype. Has anyone done this and noticed an improvement? Thanks.

2. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

A Y-splitter simply doubles the voltage to the low level sub inputs. Doubling the input voltage yields a 3 dB increase in sound pressure, all other things equal.

You can accomplish the same thing by upping the sub level 3 dB in the AVR and save $10-$15. :)

The only time I recommend a Y splitter is if the sub auto-on circuit is sleepy and it needs a bit more juice to stay lit.

The overall sub level is a function of both the voltage at the input, and the gain setting on the sub amp. A Y splitter cannot "add" power; the sub amp will still be rated the same, no matter which way you slice it. Can't get blood from a turnip, IOW. [​IMG]

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Once calibrated for SPL, you end up with basically the same thing, though you will likely be able to turn your sub amp's gain down a bit, yeilding slightly more headroom. The only reason I do it this way is for exactly the reason Ed mentions - auto on/off circuitry.

There is no way a splitter could ever yeild +10dB