XRCD Dire Straits

Discussion in 'Music' started by DaveDickey, Jan 9, 2004.

1. DaveDickey

DaveDickey Stunt Coordinator

I just bought Dire Straits, "Brothers In Arms" on JVC XRCD (my first one). Well, it sounds like SACD to me! Amazing really - that they can make CD's sound this good. Although it's still redbook CD, it sounds very clear and warm. In DPL II, the channels almost sound discrete. In some ways it actually sounds better than some multi-channel SACD's because the instruments don't appear in odd places. I'm very impressed. Unfortunately, the XRCD's are expensive and not many artists are available. Check it out though if you're curious like I was.

2. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I have been holding back on buying this XRCD since I purchased the remastered CD on the Vertigo label (before the remastered CD made its debut on Warner here in the States). Maybe I should bite the bullet and go with this XRCD (my first).

I only have a 2 channel stereo system (for now), but this title is sooooo well recorded that there are times when it sounded like a surround sound disc.

Still hoping to hear that opening of "Money For Nothing" in hi-rez surround.

3. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

Hmm, I've read a bit about this XRCD thing but haven't really heard any first hand reports until now. Perhaps I'll have to bite the bullet and pick one up.

4. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

any idea if this is coming out in either SACD/DVDA? I shall be somewhat p*ssed if i bought the XRCD now and that happened

5. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

Where can you pick this up?

6. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

7. DaveDickey

FeisalK has the inside scoop, apparently... I paid $38.00 for mine at AcousticSounds. The website he suggested advertises it for $30.

Dave

8. DaveDickey

Also, if you buy this disc keep in mind that it's an import, which means that it is twice the price and some of the technical info is in Japanese. It's very well packaged though. You get the feeling of quality packaging. It has an interesting technical diagram that the engineering-types will find informative. Dave

9. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Regarding Dire Straits on hi-rez, it's a confusing situation. The band's catalog is on Warner Music here in the US (maybe North America??), and since Warner is in the DVD-A camp, maybe DVD-As of DS in the States?

However, for the rest of the world, DS is on a Philips-affiliated label, whatever it is called. Remember the last world tour of DS when Philips hoped that the band's popularity can promote the now-defuncted DCC format? Maybe SACD for the rest of the world??

This is the same situation with artists like Genesis and Phil Collins, and others I am sure. However, Genesis is remixing its classic albums for release on both DVD-A and SACD.