What's new

XM everywhere? (1 Viewer)

PhilJ

Auditioning
Please forgive the new thread, as I'm a new member and still learning the ropes here!

Right after the St. Louis Auto Show a couple of weeks ago, I bought a new Pontiac with built-in XM radio - part of GM's "Monsoon" system. Now, I'm hooked, and would like XM radio nearly everywhere - work, home, while jogging, in my second car, and motorcycle. I'd like to only have to pay for one more subscription. This apparently means getting one tuner, and lots of attachment options.

Which is the best way to go? Roady? SkyFi? Commander? Or, the PC box looks cool, and would work with the laptop.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Phil

SteveK

Supporting Actor
Phil - Welcome to the wonderful world of XM! I've had it for about 8 months now, and I enjoy it more every day.

If you're looking for the most portability/versatility, I'd recommend either the Roady or the SkyFi. The Commander is designed just for in-car use, while obviously the PCR can only be used in conjunction with your computer. The SkyFi does require the home adapter units (providing the antenna, the audio-out connection and the power), and those run about $65 each. I have one for my main stereo in my living room and another one for my Tivoli radio in the bedroom. I formerly had the car kit as well, but I now use a Pioneer XM-ready head unit and have the XM tuner mounted in the trunk.

The Roady was originally designed for the car, but now you can also buy a home kit for it. Although the Roady is slightly smaller than the SkyFi, it seems it would be somewhat inconvenient to have to keep unplugging the cables from the Roady unit, rather than simply moving the SkyFi from one base to another.

You probably won't find either option convenient for a Walkman-type radio, as obviousy you still need all the connections. Perhaps someday they'll come out with a truly portable design. I find that an mp3 player is a good substitute when I don't have access to XM.

Once again, welcome to the world of XM!

Steve K.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Phil,
In terms of pure convenience, i'd say the Skyfi is the way to go. The cradles make it easiest to move around. However, it is quite large and also doesn't have the roady's Tune Select feature, which is VERY cool.
I have a roady and use it at home, the car, and at work (I got one home kit free via rebate and another I purchased from an online vendor). I really don't think plugging/unplugging three wires is that big of a deal personally. However, the main draw to the roady for me was the small size. I drive a small car (Subaru Impreza) with limited dash space. I wanted to mount it in the DIN pocket below my stereo. I wasn't able to get it inside there, but I was able to create a mount so that it can fit right under my headunit. This way it's right where it should be in terms of visibility and control. Some of the XM installs I've seen have it WAY out of the way, which can just be dangerous for changing channels.
Anyhow, I'd say Skyfi if you don't mind the larger unit and can give up on Tune Select. Otherwise go for the roady.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks