XM antenna vs. trees

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones / Entertainment' started by LarryAlan, Sep 29, 2004.

1. LarryAlan

LarryAlan Auditioning

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and I suspect this issue has come up at least once before. I have been using a Roady XM receiver in my Honda Pilot for about 6 months. On my way to and from work, I have to drive along several two lane heavily tree lined roads, and I constantly have the signal dropping out at what have become very predictable spots. I replaced the antenna, but it seems this is just a nuance of the satellite radio signal. Since I often need a good laugh in the morning, I find myself tuned in frequently to XM Comedy, only to have too many punch lines lost in the trees.

Are there any solutions for this, such as high end antennas? I guess a good chain saw would be the last resort.

LarryAlan

2. Greg Dorsey

Greg Dorsey Extra

Find a new route to work? Look forward to a leaf-less winter? There really isn't anything you can do. I live in a hilly, wooded area and suffer the same type of dropouts. But given how much better satellite radio is over FM, it's a small price to pay.

3. Ralph B

Ralph B Supporting Actor

ya but you think for the price you pay that a stinking leaf tree would not cut a signal out. a bride yes but a tree ?

technology needs to get better.

I have same problems and it bugs me.

4. Michael Young

Michael Young Stunt Coordinator

I have had XM for a year + or so I believe, not quite sure on this.

Anyhow It seems that over the last 8 months, signal has been getting worse, constant disconnects even under the smallest tree's.

I used to be able togo under gas stations, parking decks etc. without signal drop, but not anymore.

5. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

Same deal here. I have the XM antenna on my car roof and still have many drop-outs when passing near trees (most often when they are to my West, I'm in the North-East). There is one road here (Taconic Parkway) where the XM is all but useless.
    I guess the morale is that any satellite system (DSS, XM, etc.) needs a clear line of sight to the satellite.

6. Bryan_O

Bryan_O Agent

In my home area (Delaware) I rarely have a problem w/signal. Even under over-passes, I rarely lose signal, and if I do it's only for a second. BUT recently I drove to Atlanta, and I found a different situation. I experienced signal loss around buildings, trees, etc.