XLR Inputs Lead To Improvement In Subwoofers? Or Is It Just Snakeoil?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Sturge, Apr 6, 2002.

1. John Sturge

John Sturge Stunt Coordinator

I thought I was hallucinating when I saw this...
    Rel Stentor III
    Balanced inputs on a subwoofer? Can balanced outputs on subwoofers, make it preform better or be even more accurate? Or is it just an placebo, offering no improvement?

2. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

It uses the same technology as a balanced input on a preamp or amplifier. Differential circuitry provides higher rejection of noise, increasing SNR for the amplifier section.

Whether this relates in audible benefits is another story, in terms of measured difference this has long since been shown to be a valid approach.

Pet peeve:

Dismiss that which you don't understand as "snake oil" or "placebo effect".

Regards,

3. Alex F.

Alex F. Second Unit

The XLR input would be useful if your high-end preamp's only unused main output was a balanced output.

4. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

Balanced ins and outs are more suited for long cable runs, due to the better S/N ratio as John stated. Balanced cables have significantly less signal degredation than unbalanced cables.

Also, as Alex stated, the XLR input is only useful if your preamp has a balanced output. Line transformers can change the balanced connection to an unbalanced one, but then you lose most of the qualities that make balanced connections better.

5. ling_w

ling_w Second Unit

Hum picked up by cables lies right in the middle of the subwoofer's range, and offering balanced input in applications where very long runs might be requierd is not outragious.