What's new

Xena: Warrior Princess-Season Three 02/10 (1 Viewer)

Brandon Gantt

Second Unit
The video commentaries for season 2 (4:3) also had the commentators watching a widescreen monitor. So them doing the same for season 3 doesn't mean they were watching 1.78:1 transfers.

The materials for the XENA sets are being provided by licensor Anderson/Davis. When season 4 for comes around we can only hope they produce 16:9 transfers for Anchor Bay.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Brandon,

Thanks for that information! I started my Xena collection with Season Three, so I was unaware of that. I think I'll go out and purchase Season Two now. (My local Best Buy still has them available for $44.95.)

Do you have any experience with the Season One transfers? Are they as bad as the reviewers have claimed?

Thanks!

Brandon Gantt

Second Unit
The picture quality of Season One isn't as terrible as everyone claims. Grain is the only problem, and once you understand XENA's inception as a low budget show, that can be forgiven. The first season was on 16mm, and it looks like low quality 16mm at that. However, the transfers are a step up above the broadcast versions, and the show looks as good as it ever will.

Season Two was 16mm as well, but a higher quality stock must have been used because the DVD's look even better than the first. The show switched to 35mm in Season Three.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I heard from someone at Anchor Bay that they were involved in the transfer for season 2 after seeing the poor quality of season 1, so that may explain the jump in quality.

Gord

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
If you go to Anchorbayentertainment.com they list Xena: Season 4 as an upcoming set of theirs. Clicking on the link takes you to a page that reveals it'll be in its "Original 4:3 full-frame ratio).

Just thought I'd pass the information around.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG

Nooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!
That's not true!!!!!!!!!!
That's IMP-ASS-ABLE!!!!!!
Nooooooooooooooooooooooo! (girly scream)

Original Filmed Aspect Ratio is 16:9.
Original Special Effects Aspect Ratio is 16:9.
Original Transmitted Aspect Ratio is cropped 4:3.
Anchor Bay chooses their definition of "original" to be the cropped 4:3 ratio.

Anchor Bay loses all future sales from me until I calm down. :angry:

EDIT: Time for a new signature. ;) :D

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Please keep in mind that Anchor Bay is NOT the company that is producing these sets, they're the company that is bringing them to retail. Panzer/Anderson is the company doing the work on them.

If you're going to get mad, don't take it out on Anchor Bay.

Gord

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG

No, I consider AB to be just as responsible. If they're distributing, they should have some sway over the transfer quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks