What's new

XBR950 Vs. WE610 (1 Viewer)

CalvinCarr

Supporting Actor
I have been looking at these 2 sets. My wife has agreed to the XBR950 LCD but when I looked at the WE610 the picture looks great too. The 610 is $1500.00 cheaper which I could use for other gear. Does anyone know what you get for the extra $1500.00 beside the built in tuner? From what I see I need to use the cable companies box anyway?

Danny Beck

Stunt Coordinator
Your right about the cable box.

From what i've seen the XBR model basically offers some slight tweaks to the internal circuity which results in a slightly better picture overall. Most people wouldn't be able to tell a difference but it is there is you know what to look for. So, basically the differences are minimal on a technical level but it should be noted that the XBR line is Sony's top-of-the-line and that means something. They seem to build the XBRs a little strong/better than the other sets. So, you could take comfort that your XBR is unlikely to have problems as much as a non-XBR set.

Performance wise the differences are very small.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
When I saw the 2 sets, the PQ wasn't even close. The XBR was far and away better than the Grand Wega's. While I wouldn't and didn't buy an LCD set, the XBR is the class of the group.

CalvinCarr

Supporting Actor
I looked at the spec sheet and the WE610 is 77 pounds lighter than the XBR950. What the heck is in that thing?

Dan

Stunt Coordinator
I looked high and low and no other LCD even came close to replicating the PQ of the XBR. I ended up with a 60". Persoanlly, I think you're paying for aesthetics in that $1500 extra cost, as I don't even use the HD tuner since I'm too remote for a signal and have to use Dish's HD package anyway.

If you can choke down the price tag, it's a fine TV for what it is.

CalvinCarr

Supporting Actor
Have you found anyplace to be less expensive than another? I plan on getting it around September. Are there new models coming out I should wait for instead?

Dan

Stunt Coordinator
Calvin-

I'm out West, so I had a place called RC Willey v. Ultimate Elctronics. RC willey gave it to me for $4700 in an attempt to beat Ultimate. It's basically the price war game. I simply went with RC because they beat the low proce by $100 and they had the TV in stock, whereas Ultimate was 2 months out.

I'm not sure when/if any models are coming out.

The UHP 120 is just a brighter lamp, which may be significant in a high light area.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks