xbr450 / 16x9 / cropped image ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeffrey Wiffen, Nov 18, 2002.

1. Jeffrey Wiffen

Jeffrey Wiffen Stunt Coordinator

Jan 8, 2002
    I have a Toshiba SD5700 (progressive out) connected to my 32XBR450 via: component cables. I’ve noticed that some of the widescreen image is cropped on the sides (5% maybe), and to get the complete widescreen image I have to “zoom out”. Is this unusual or common? I was under the impression that the XBR450’s would display the whole widescreen image. I can only assume that it has something to do with the SD5700’s progressive feed. I understand that the progressive feed disables the XBR’s internal DRC and that you have to manually change to 16x9 mode. But, I don’t think that I have to “zoom out” whenever I want to watch a movie. I’ve noticed this problem with Attack of the Clones, Monster’s Inc, etc. (which are both anamorphic).
  2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Feb 12, 1998
    It's called overscan, and nearly all TVs have it. It's a function of your TV, not your DVD player. A 5% loss at the sides (and at top and bottom for 4:3 images) is about par for the course.