What's new

Xbox release games (1 Viewer)

James D S

Screenwriter
Everyone has access to broadband of some sort. Go check out satellite if you are unable to access cable or DSL, or even ISDN.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I never said that the PSX function of the PS2 was a big function, but that it is one of its 4 main, out-of-the-box, functions. Also, the PS2 slightly improves loading times and graphics of PSX games. As for the compatibility issues, there are only a few (like 10 or so out of over a million) games that don't work with the PS2 with the loading/graphic enhancements on, and even fewer that don't work with it altogether. If the 4 functions were equally priced, that would be $75 for each one, which is cheaper than a PSX or a DVD player.
The X-Box has a 8 GB HDD that is not just used for saving. It could be used to install games onto it (like FFX on the PS2 HDD) for quicker loading times and also for downloading files and ripping MP3s. The 8 MB memory cards are used just for saving, nothing else. Besides, a save file shouldn't be too big, some PS2 games have save files of 50k, some of 500k. In FFX, you can fit 99 save files on a PS2 memory card, and I think you still have room left.
The reason I mentioned polygons is because everyone talks about how powerful the X-Box is supposed to be, when the GC is actually showing how powerful it is, which is more powerful than the X-Box (so far). X-Box games can't even run correctly yet, and I read somewhere that they didn't even get a dev kit so nobody knows if what MS says about the XB is true. The only good pics of the XB were taken from dev kits (and were not running at 60 fps or at full resolution) or were doctored by them in photoshop (the lens flare from that one Amped picture). So far, the XB is only leading because it comes with a HDD, ethernet, and 5.1
I will end up getting all 3 consoles (have a PS2), but I will get the GC either at launch or soon after and an XB early next year.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
In an old issue of electronic gaming monthly, they said that the PSX had just (at that time) had its 1 millionth game published. Thats 1 million releases, including America, Japan, and Europe releases. So if a game didn't make it to Europe but was released in japan and america (like Chrono Cross) it counts as a release. If a game was released only in Europe, it counts as a release. I don't remember the article or issue or even the game, but I have it around here somewhere...

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
In an old issue of electronic gaming monthly, they said that the PSX had just (at that time) had its 1 millionth game published.
So you're counting /every/ nation's SKU on /every/ title? The US State Dept. recognises 191 'states' in the world. By that, you would need 5000 different titles released in each country.
It is a /fact/ that a huge amount of those countries do NOT have recognised PSX games released in them, meaning the countries that do need even more seperate games released to hit your million mark.
There's a supposed list of all the US PSX games here:http://w3.one.net/~boland/games/psx.txt - it comes up wiht a total 1295 US titles.
------------------
Nothing In Particular

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Everyone has access to broadband of some sort. Go check out satellite if you are unable to access cable or DSL, or even ISDN.
Highspeed downloads, slow modem uploads... Even then - not everyone can get it. Looked into DirecPC recently, you have to either have access to the roof for the dish or face a certain direction - I have neither.
------------------
Nothing In Particular

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Let me explain what I meant:
Final Fantasy VII counts as one game. If it is released in America, Japan, and Europe, it is still only on game. When they make Final Fantasy VII International, it counts as a second game, even though it wasn't released in America (or Europe, I think). Altogether, over 1 million games have been released for the PSX. Some may not be available in every country, but they still count. Of all of the videogames made for the PSX, only a few are not compatible with the PS2 at all, and because of how the PS2 was made, that can be fixed through driver updates.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Morgan, you've just *reduced* the number of games by your reasoning!
Some figures I found on the web (thank you, Google!) suggest at the end of '95, North America had about /500/ unique PSX titles. That's one of the world's largest PSX markets - 500 titles!
There are most definitely *not* 1 million unique PSX games, Morgan! Think about the number of different games that is - it just doesn't make sense.
Just because EGM picks some numbers out of a hat doesn't make them true. Gimme some hard facts, please!
------------------
Nothing In Particular

Drew Dockery

Stunt Coordinator
OK, is this 1 million released titles for Playstation, or 1 million games some dreamed up? I'm guessing there's WAY LESS than even 100,000 games, but how many games it has doesn't mean anything anyway, since only the games worth playing would factor into this conversation.
ISDN is NOT broadband. It's barely more than twice 56k in theory, and I've never seen it live up to this. The cost is insane for how little you get. As for satellite, MOST people can get it, but it's WORTHLESS for gaming. There's a huge latency issue with using satellite. It's great for surfing the web, netcams, etc - but if you use it for Quake you'll get shot first and then see the guy running straight at you. It just can't keep up.
I guess I'm just bitter about the braodband issue because both my cable company and phone company send me fliers about high speed access, then I call, then I'm told it's not available in my area yet. This happens at least once every 2 months, and every time I'm told it should be available "soon" whenever the hell that is.
------------------
I'm going off the rails on a crazy train!
Drew

James D S

Screenwriter
Drew, Right, tha's why I said 'even.' But for gaming, and if your worried (as you should be) about latency, ISDN is MORE than capable of delivering 0 latency online gaming. It is still may be price prohibitive, but it IS a viable gaming option that's available to a lot of people who do not have access to either cable or DSL.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I'm sorry. I found the article, and when I had read it 3 years ago, I only read the title caption thingy. I found the article and read it just now, and it says that Sony had published its 50 millionth disc, not individual game. I am sorry, its my fault. Even though I was incorrect, my original argument still stands with the incompatibility issue with the PSX games on the PS2. There are very few games that don't work with it at all, and only a few more that don't work with the added features. Once again, I am sorry for the incorrect info.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks