What's new

Xbox release games (1 Viewer)

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Anyone know what the big release games for the system will be? When will Silent Hill 2 and Metal Gear Solid be released for the system?

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Everytime I see those Halo demos, streaming off the internet, 2 things come to mind for me.
1)I can't friggin' wait to play this kickass looking game!!
2)I hope like hell that the stuttering frame rate is either
worked out to absolute flawless, or that it's just the
clunky, streaming nature of movies...even though I'm
using DSL.
Talk about a booger in Microsofts eye if Halo ships with a stuttering framerate! DOH!!!!!
redface.gif

paul h

Supporting Actor
I think Silent Hill2 coming out for the PS2 1st but i did read somewhere that the XBox version may come out close to the XBox launch. No idea on MGS or what version of the game it will be...as for Halo i have a DVD that has actual filmed footage of the games from E3 and Halo's framerate was ropey. Actual graphics looked nice and detailed, if they do sort out the framerate then it'll be sweet. The one game that i would consider getting the XBox for though is Unreal Championship.

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
Amped: Freestyle Snowboarding looks like it may be good...but it will have to be very, very good to live up to SSX.
Aaron

Van Patton

Second Unit
I wouldnt trust much of the stuff that Microsoft is throwing at us now. When they first released shots of Amped someone took notice that the glare effect was copied out of Adobe Photoshop. Well some high Microsoft official had to release a notice saying the usual these are pre-game shots made up to look like the finished product, yada yada yada. Come October _ I know my money is going towards Nintendo's long awaited product. By then the PS2 will have some great games to go along with it such as GT3, Metal Gear Solid 2, and the new NCAA football game based on Madden 2001s engine.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
So what reason is there too buy a Xbox right away? Also, with the broadband connection, can I just type in my friends ip address and play him or do I have to pay to play like Sega network?

Sean Eldridge

Second Unit
Also, with the broadband connection, can I just type in my friends ip address and play him or do I have to pay to play like Sega network?
There aren't likely to be any online games until sometime later in 2002. That has come directly from MS.
Sean
------------------
"My girls won 10 out of 11. And the 11th was won by a deaf mute. You can't beat that."

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Now that I remember, I heard Silent Hill would be a Japan release game. When is the system being released in japan? About the broadband, when the games come out, do you have to play them on some pay service or just hook up with another friends ip? I hated the way Sega did theres, I just want to play my local friends. I don't pay to play Half Life on pc, I shouldn't have to pay to play football on Xbox

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
About the broadband, when the games come out, do you have to play them on some pay service or just hook up with another friends ip? I hated the way Sega did theres, I just want to play my local friends. I don't pay to play Half Life on pc, I shouldn't have to pay to play football on Xbox

One of the rumors I heard floating around is that MS plans to have a small monthly fee of like $6...but this fee would allow unlimited hours on any online XBOX game.
If this is true...it doesn't sound all that bad. I'd rather not pay, but if it was like $6 for all games, I guess that's not too bad.
Aaron

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
do I have to pay to play like Sega network
You only had to pay if you wanted to use the Sega.Net ISP, which was/is not required to play NFL2k1, Daytona, PSO, Unreal Tournament, Quake, etc... Playing Dreamcast games online is totally free (until PSO v2, but that's another thread).
-Dave
------------------
DVD List

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I ain't gonna let this thread die :)
Maybe Silent Hill 2 for XBOX isn't as shakey as the previous article made it sound. From Gamespot :
However, when asked about the status of the Xbox version, producer Akihiro Imamura said that the development team has recently begun working with the Xbox hardware. "The Xbox version is taking shape," Imamura said. "You could say that developing on the Xbox is easy, compared with the PlayStation 2."
-Dave
------------------
DVD List

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Just to speak to the Chad's original question, there are several games that I am looking forward to at launch. But my top three are probably:
Project Gotham, a racing game with absolutly sick graphics. Every time I see screenshots of this, I can't believe my eyes. If the gameplay is even halfway decent, this should be one impressive game for the 'box.
DOA3. Yes, well, after all, I DO have a "Y" chromosome...
wink.gif

Tony Hawk 2X. If you've played Tony Hawk 1 or 2 on the PSX, you know why. This game will combine all of the levels of 1 and 2, and I believe add a few new ones. Plus the graphics are once again out of this world. I absolutely can't wait for this to hit. Yes, PS2 is getting first crack at Tony Hawk 3, but that too is coming to the Xbox next year, and I'm sure 2X will tide me over admirably.
Of course, Munch and Halo get all the press, and for good reason. But there are lots of other games that look like they could be good fun. Ign Xbox has some great writeups of all the titles that have been announced, if you are looking for more information.
My dos pesos, anyway...
Regards,
Dave

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Dave, I think the problem people have with those three games as 'killer apps' is that a lot of people have already extensively played them as MSR, DOA2 & THPS2 - all three have been billed as 'upgrades' rather than fullblown sequels.
------------------
Nothing In Particular

paul h

Supporting Actor
True, people moaned about the PS2 seeing nothing but sequels...hello XBox?
MS are basically playing it safe and throwing out what they think the public want ie fighting, racing, snowboarding, skateboarding, wrestling, token puzzler etc.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
MS are basically playing it safe and throwing out what they think the public want ie fighting, racing, snowboarding, skateboarding, wrestling, token puzzler etc.
I don't blame them - they're trying to cover all the 'standard' genres with safe, 'easy' titles for the mainstream market.
------------------
Nothing In Particular

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Say, Brian--you're right! I never noticed that my personal top three were all sequels or upgrades. I haven't played MSR or either DOA, so to me the upcoming titles will be new. But I realize to the "hardcore" gamers, your complaint is a valid one.
There are some original titles coming out that look good to me: besides Halo/Munch, there's Blood Wake, which is kind of a vehicular combat game with boats. Hunter: The Reckoning looks like a great survival/horror game (Vampires taking over a prison? How cool is that??) And Project Ego looks like it could be the killer app you were asking about. At this point it's tough to say with just a basic storyline and some screenshots.
I know there's a lot of skepticism about this platform, and from a guy who got totally burned on Sega CD, and at least partially burned on N64, I can understand where that's coming from. All I can speak for is myself, but in my opinion I have seen enough to get me excited about the launch.
But hey, if anyone still has doubts, you are welcome to pop on over and try it for yourself on November 8th! :)
Regards,
Dave

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
And Project Ego looks like it could be the killer app you were asking about. At this point it's tough to say with just a basic storyline and some screenshots.
I'm not knocking Big Blue Box but Project Ego is *so* far away from release, it's silly to consider it a 'must have'. What's the gameplay like? What do you do in the game? How does it compare to other games out there? They showed some pretty effects at E3 - nothing more AFAIK except details of the character aging during the length of the game & 'longevity'. I'd love to be proved wrong on this point! :) It's not due out until Fall2002 at the earliest, and as a Lionhead associated game, what's the odds on it slipping?
wink.gif

Those pretty grass effects it had (as does Planetside) are going to get common - there's been a nice long thread about 'em with real code on the Algorithms mailing list, usually a sign everyone will use them (e.g. the same thing happened with cel shading).
------------------
Nothing In Particular

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks