What's new

Xbox Optical Out (1 Viewer)

CraigC

Auditioning
I was noticing how many Xbox Games are now encoded with Dolby Digital and thought how cool it was... Then I start thinking to myself, wait the xbox doesn't have any form of digital out so how would you get dolby digital? My answer was not hard to find.... you can buy a The Xbox Advanced AV Pack allows integration between the Xbox video game system and televisions or receivers that utilize optical digital audio input for Dolby Digital playback.

I was wondering if anyone has there xbox hooked up using this method and if so, how is the quality of the dolby digital? Worth the 20 bucks for the chords?

Thanks,
Craig C.

Ken Groulx

Stunt Coordinator
I have my XBOX connected via an optical cable to my home theater, and it sounds fantastic. It really can be an immersive experience if the game features a good, aggressive sound design; Halo is da bomb. It's absolutely the best way to get the most out of your gaming system, and once you have heard your games in 5.1, you'll never want to play them any other way. Definately worth the inexpensive cost of the AV pack and cable. :emoji_thumbsup:

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Ditto. While not all games have very good surround implementation, plenty do. Plus, the pack gives you better video quality if you have S-Video of Component connectors on your tv.

BenK

Stunt Coordinator
The Xbox's in-game Dolby Digital is very impressive. It adds quite a bit to the gaming experience. Well worth the price of the AV pack.

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
i use xbox in progressive and optical out. DD has been around for a while on xbox and it rocks!!!!!

I agree s-video on xbox too is not so good, on a projector anyway. progressive is the only way to go.

run out and get yourself a advanced pack. I got both!

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Oh yeah, the DD is great! When I play Unreal Championship online, I get 108 Db out of my sub with all of the explosions and action going on. No way can you listen to this at reference! The one level, Grim Smote, I have to turn my volume down to -34 or I get a headache from all of the bass. The surround effect is great too. :D

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Xbox is a waste if your not using the the advanced a/v pack. You minus well play PS2 if your not using it. In game DD, 480p, I love it. Not to mention the HD video games on xbox, they look incredible.

Mike Wladyka

Supporting Actor
Yeah, in game DD is great...in halo, i am able to hear when Lamarcus spawns behind me, and I turn around and shoot him dead.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
It is more than worth it. I am currently using the Monster Component and Optical cables on my xbox, and the sound is a revelation compared to the analog audio. Halo alone makes it worth owning. Its like making your own action movie sound mix. Just blow stuff up, turn your head, and the sound will move as well. Lame example, but gets the point across. Also lets you know when someone is sneaking up on you or driving.

Love the sound in Project Gotham 2, since you can tell when the competing racers are getting near you, as you just listen for where they are coming from. And its also nice to hear them slam into a wall behind you:)

Ed*Wheaton

Agent
I played my x-box on my home theater for a while before I finally clued in that I needed the optical cable to have true 5.1.Once I got one MAN!! what a difference it really brought the games to life.Definitely go and get the A/V pack and the optical cable.You won't regret it.

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks