What's new

Xbox One S (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'm keeping my PS4, and I'm done with consoles forever. Fuck the Neo, and Scorpio. This new, and more powerful systems within their own life cycle is a joke. the minute the beefier systems hit the market to play games with optimum performance, and I'm stuck with inferior graphics on new games(like I said, not buying another system). Then that is it.
I don't see this as a win for gamers, I see it as greed by Microsoft, and Sony, and at best the perfect spur for Fanboys to lord over each other who can kick the others ass on the playground. The idea is as juvenile as it is pointless. Remember the Sega 32x?
All I can say is I hope the Scorpio, and Neo fail miserably.
All of you on board, more power to ya. Game on.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I know I've said it before, but "the game's the thing" for me. My PS4 collects dust and my PS3s are working overtime (I have this fantasy that cycling between them preserves their life).

And I know we (in the A/V "community") are a minority as far as console sales, but I was one of many who got the PS3 originally strictly for its BD-playing capability. I also got one of the very last models (a slight mistake IMO, should have got the second-last one...) and it is my "best" BD player. It's just so fast and slick. Limited in what it does, it certainly doesn't surpass any of my Oppos in any other way, but for BDs only, it's great, still. So that's how I got on the PS bandwagon, I'm certainly no Sony fanboy.

So if MS is offering a decent UHD player (my opinion of the Samsung one is well on record here!) in their next console, I may move to that ship. It worked last time. I'm sure MS remembers/noticed what Sony did back then, though I'm sure most of the console market now couldn't care less about playing UHDs. I guess I'm kind of more interested in something VR though, it may bother me physically so I'm not sure how that would work out (some 3D gives me a real headache, and I think I have a "delicate" sense of balance), but willing to try.

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Sorry if I offended anyone with my previous post. That was not my intention. My anger got the best of me. I don't know if I stated this before but I am living check to check right now. I am on an extremely limited budget and looking for a better job closer to home without the $100 a week in gas money to worry about.

The bigger, better, faster consoles coming up pretty much eliminates all enthusiasm I have for future gaming. I can't afford another $400-$500 gaming system.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Seeyas to those saying they are done with consoles.

Sorry if I offended anyone with my previous post. That was not my intention. My anger got the best of me. I don't know if I stated this before but I am living check to check right now. I am on an extremely limited budget and looking for a better job closer to home without the $100 a week in gas money to worry about.

The bigger, better, faster consoles coming up pretty much eliminates all enthusiasm I have for future gaming. I can't afford another $400-$500 gaming system.

Fair enough Bryan, that's certainly a valid reason to hold off on consoles. For the record I wish ya well and hope ya can turn things around.

From my perspective tho I'm all for mid lifecycle refreshes if that means better quality gaming, better quality graphics and more horsepower for media playback to boot. I personally think the S is going to be the world's best bang for the buck UHD player with a free game system thrown in. I totally get that not everyone is in that place of privlege I am and the good news is your existing consoles will continue to work brilliantly, more people will buy into this console generation leaving opportunities for sales to them by devs who have seen growth plateau (and hopefully bargains to get those of us to buy more games we skipped in the process) and more resources going to improving the whole ecosystem. It sucks you won't get all the bells and whistles but the alternative is stagnation for another 4 years per generation. For me this is clearly beneficial to almost everyone in the pool.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
The PS3 was my first Blu-ray player (I bought one at launch to complement my HD-DVD player) and I'll consider the S because of the UHD playback.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
They are turning consoles to the same model as phones. You get a regular refresh that works with all the existing stuff, but the consumer only upgrades every 2 or 3 cycles.

Did you refuse to ever buy another iPhone, Galaxy, etc. simply because they released a new one for $500+ each year? No. You just waited another year or two and then bought the newest one then. Same thing with consoles.

I don't get the reason why everyone is so paranoid that this is going to turn into MS and Sony forcing people to buy new expensive hardware every couple years. Some people may have put off getting into this gen, and maybe a more powerful option would entice them enough. Others may be totally up for buying something better even if they already have a One or 4. So what? Would you refuse to buy a PS5 in 2019 simply because they released a PS4.5 in 2016? That seems a bit silly.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
They are turning consoles to the same model as phones. You get a regular refresh that works with all the existing stuff, but the consumer only upgrades every 2 or 3 cycles.

Did you refuse to ever buy another iPhone, Galaxy, etc. simply because they released a new one for $500+ each year? No. You just waited another year or two and then bought the newest one then. Same thing with consoles.

I don't get the reason why everyone is so paranoid that this is going to turn into MS and Sony forcing people to buy new expensive hardware every couple years. Some people may have put off getting into this gen, and maybe a more powerful option would entice them enough. Others may be totally up for buying something better even if they already have a One or 4. So what? Would you refuse to buy a PS5 in 2019 simply because they released a PS4.5 in 2016? That seems a bit silly.
I have never owned a cell phone, but as far as video game systems I have many reasons not to buy into the "refresh" systems.
Like I said earlier price is a factor, but another big factor is online gaming. I truly believe the X-Box 360 was the greatest video game system ever to hit the market(yes even with the red ring of death). I love that system immensely because it gave me many, many hours of great gaming experiences with my friends online gaming. Left For Dead, Call Of Duty, Red Dead Redemption, etc. All a blast, making memories with my closest friends.

When I bought the PS4, I vowed it would be my last system, and that is mainly because the drop off of friends that bought into the system. I have two left that game(going from six on the Xbox 360). One bought the X-Box One, and the other while seemingly enthusiastic about the PS4 at first, has dropped off the map in the world of gaming. He goes months without playing his PS4.
My best friend is now more into family, and fatherhood than gaming. And I'm very happy for him, but sad that we will most likely never catch up on a new release online together.
So that brings me to the question--do I need another game system? No, I really don't.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
People update gaming PCs all the time for better graphics, more frame rate, etc (at much more cost). Frankly I have stayed with gaming consoles because it is far cheaper even if you buy these mid upgrades then keeping up with PC gaming.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Bryan - I don't know, it seems like a weird thing to say, "I won't buy another console ever!" in response to the Scorpio and Neo, when your real reason is because you were mostly an online gamer and now none of your friends play online. I can't argue your stance, but I think you might want to understand how it looked to others when you made your declaration. You don't want to buy any more? Fine, that's your choice. But don't bash the mid-gen upgrades for unrelated reasons.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Bryan - I don't know, it seems like a weird thing to say, "I won't buy another console ever!" in response to the Scorpio and Neo, when your real reason is because you were mostly an online gamer and now none of your friends play online. I can't argue your stance, but I think you might want to understand how it looked to others when you made your declaration. You don't want to buy any more? Fine, that's your choice. But don't bash the mid-gen upgrades for unrelated reasons.
In my hasty rant above, I forgot to mention that I feel the NEO, and Scorpio will cut short the life cycle of the older respective consoles(XBONE/PS4 systems). I don't want to play anything on inferior hardware, first and foremost. So when the big guns enter the market, I'm out. And I'm sure millions of gamers will feel slighted, and skeptical about buying another $400(or more?) console for better graphics(and few more features), Just because Sony, and Microsoft want to hit the "reset" button...in essence getting a do over approach to console gaming. This is the number one reason I was angered about the "refresh" systems, and spewing curse words. Sorry I didn't state it earlier.

All the other reasons I listed are mainly why the PS4 was to going to be my last gaming console. But I didn't expect it to end so soon. Here is a video that echoes a lot of my thoughts on this matter(and a bit more concise)

At any rate that is how I feel about it. I hope everyone that buys the new console enjoys it greatly.
I have nothing more to say about it.

Last edited:

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
But the plan for both MS and Sony is that games will be made to run on PS4 and Neo (or Xbox One and Scorpio) at the same time, which is not the same as cutting this generation short. If anything, it's going to extend the generation longer because people who want a "better" experience can upgrade if they want while everyone else at least has the option to stick with what they have.

The Xbox One NEEDS the power boost because the base model is relatively insufficient already. But the PS4 Neo is more or less (according to the info we have) just trying to show that consoles are not lagging really far behind PCs and will let users take advantage of 4K TVs. If you have a PS4 but no 4K TV, or if you don't feel the need to upgrade your PS4, then there's really nothing lost by this.

It's just a bit weird to see people get mad at a company for offering more options to people who WANT to spend more money, while not requiring their current customers to spend a dime to get the same experience.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
But the plan for both MS and Sony is that games will be made to run on PS4 and Neo (or Xbox One and Scorpio) at the same time, which is not the same as cutting this generation short. If anything, it's going to extend the generation longer because people who want a "better" experience can upgrade if they want while everyone else at least has the option to stick with what they have.

You have more faith in them not sandbagging the "standard" releases with better performance on the PS4.5/Neo. They have to make the same games compatible for both, but seeing how bugs and patching are accepted now, we wont know how it plays out until we are forced to live with it. The main appeal of console gaming over PC was not having to worry about hardware upgrades with a reliable expectation for how long your console will be viable. That's all out the window now. If I'm expected to spend money on updated consoles every 3-4 years, I might as well spend more and move up to a PC Steambox that has fuller backwards compatibility options for the games I've bought. Something that SONY will never do.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I wasn't going to respond in this thread again, but to make my point perfectly clear once and for all:
I know that the that the PS4, and XBONE will continue to play the games made for them. I have known that since day one. I also know that the enhanced systems will play those same games looking better, running smoother, and possibly more.

For millions of gamers I'm sure $400-$500(just guessing but I'd be shocked if the NEO, or Scorpio run cheaper) won't be easy to cough up. Yes the option is there to continue to play on the inferior systems(READ: BOAT ANCHORS) but many, many gamers will not settle for second rate anything in their gaming experience(this is why they upgraded from the PS3, and XBOX 360 to PS4, and XBONE), and they will feel jaded of the gaming industry because their system of choice although not obsolete--might as well be obsolete through their eyes. Cutting the life of this current gen short(current versions of PS4, and XBONE, not the NEO and SCorpio).

I have been a gamer forever, and even as a kid I didn't tolerate inferior graphics/gameplay on any system. From my first upgrade of the Sega MAster System to the Sega Genesis, and much earlier from the Atari 2600 to the Colecovision. Graphics, and gameplay matter.

Last edited:

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think part of the reason Sony and MS are so confident in their ability to release new consoles so soon is because the consumers are asking for it. We're used to the regular hardware refresh cycle from phones and tablets, so now people want that from consoles.

I just don't get why there's so much hate for Sony or MS. If Sony was announcing that they were releasing a new console this year and none of the PS4 games would work for it but it was the last console you'd ever buy, then I could see getting upset at that. But they're not really providing less value to people who already have a PS4, and to take advantage of the Neo's new specs (it's pretty much JUST a 4K gaming machine) means having to drop a grand on a new TV. So complaining about how you don't have to spend $400-500 on a console after not having to spend $1000 on a TV is weird logic.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
That said, MS producing the One S, a $400 1 TB system that has the sole upgrade of playing UHD discs (in one specific 4K format, no less) is a silly business move. If they released all 3 versions of the One S, or allowed you to upgrade your own HDD, then it wouldn't be so dumb.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
That said, MS producing the One S, a $400 1 TB system that has the sole upgrade of playing UHD discs (in one specific 4K format, no less) is a silly business move. If they released all 3 versions of the One S, or allowed you to upgrade your own HDD, then it wouldn't be so dumb.

They are releasing cheaper (i.e. 500GB) Xbox One S just a little later. This is what they have done for every version get one "special edition" version at launch then others a couple months later. UHD Disks only come in one format "so far" and I have yet to see a disc announced that will support DV (it will still have to support HDR10 anyway) which is what I assume you are referring to. I doubt any console will support DV as I heard the Chipset + License cost is in the $100 range per unit. That would really jack up the cost. Easy to hide that in a $1500+ TV not so easy in a player of any kind console or otherwise. Which is why I believe we will only see DV in streaming but that is another conversation not for this thread. :)

I do get Bryan's comments but people need to buy a player for their shinny new 4K TV and this would be a good option if they are a gamer too. We knew that this generation would have a change to the way it worked. It was going to be the last or would come faster... Technology is moving really fast and consoles need to keep up. I would be surprised to see another console in 2019-2020 as well.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I'm in for a VR console and a game called "Lazy Billionaire". That's where the real money is my friends. Everything else is just a tease.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks