What's new

XBOX One Revealed (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I own a WiiU. And I have to tell you, while it's not a competitor for the PS4 or XBOXOne graphic wise, it's hard to not praise Nintendo for the games; Super Mario WiiU is an absolute blast, and the co-op play with the controller is excellent. I eagerly await the release of Zelda games, and they have really improved it a lot through updates over the last few months.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
Morgan Jolley said:
Jeffery_H - My main question was in regards to the HDD thing. Everything I read said the HDD was 500 GB and that was it, but you can add USB 3.0 external drives. There's no way to change the internal. Where did you read or hear something different?
You are not understanding what I am saying in the prior posts.

First, that information came from those at the show that were press talking with others that had sources at MS. What you state about the HDD is true and what I was stating too. However, any drive you may be able to add, such as an external USB HDD will either replace or add to the storage. No one knows for sure just yet how or what MS will do there. One thing that is CERTAIN is any such device will be formatted and coded, again just like DirecTV HDD and Cable boxes that will specifically tie that drive to the serial number of your XBox One. That means you can not simply replace your XBox One and attach another HDD or replace it. You MUST send back to MS for repair/replacement.

Again, you will NOT be able to replace the internal HDD unless done by MS as stated. This is exactly the same way DirecTV is now with their DVR systems. Rather or not you can increase capicity with external drive or something is still unknown. What is KNOWN is ALL HDD will be locked specifically to your XBox One serial number and only MS can replace or transfer.

Of course, they could make a kit that would allow you to transfer content from one HDD to another and still be copy protected and locked down with your serial number. But that's pure speculation by others and things like this are unknown how they will handle it. What everyone REALLY wants at most companies is no HDD at all and have everything in the "cloud" for total control and eliminate the storage issues all together. There's no doubt you are locked in then and whatever their policies are is what you live with if you want to use their service.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I want to give my opinion.I really hated the Xbox One reveal.I was bored. I felt like I've seen nothng new. I feel like XboxOne is bringing nothing new.Maybe my opinion will change after E3.But for the time being, I will not be buying an XboxOne.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Morgan Jolley said:
I just read that Amazon UK's charts show the Wii U jumped from #390 to #40 following the announcement of the Xbox One. This either means there was a great sale on Amazon or people decided they'd rather buy a Wii U now than an Xbox One or PS4 in the fall. Interesting.
Strangely, it's not for sale directly through Amazon (US). It's sold through a third party (Quickndone electronics?), and is not eligible for Amazon Prime / free shipping. It might mean nothing, as Amazon is increasingly inscruptable to me (in terms of offering and selling as a meta store for other stores).

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
DaveF said:
Strangely, it's not for sale directly through Amazon (US). It's sold through a third party (Quickndone electronics?), and is not eligible for Amazon Prime / free shipping. It might mean nothing, as Amazon is increasingly inscruptable to me (in terms of offering and selling as a meta store for other stores).
Personally, I would NEVER buy from any 3rd party store like this. It will be some time before the "official" pre-sales begin, which is after E3. You have to be real careful where you buy from if it's not direct from Amazon. But I LOVE my Amazon Prime.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
I owned all 3 consoles at one point, XBox 360, PS3 and Nintendo Wii. But quickly lost interest in the Wii after the novelity wore off and few titles were there that were really good. Now, I have just the 360 and PS3 and a ton of games for each, about 50 per console plus downloaded content. For me, I will keep at least one for the dowloaded games and go with my PC for gaming since they are so close to the same now anyway. Maybe later I will jump into one or both of them, money isn't really the issue at all since I'm an adult gamer and can afford what I want. It's just a question of getting some more details and seeing how things turn out once they launch later on.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Jeffery_H said:
Personally, I would NEVER buy from any 3rd party store like this. It will be some time before the "official" pre-sales begin, which is after E3. You have to be real careful where you buy from if it's not direct from Amazon. But I LOVE my Amazon Prime.
What I meant is the Wii U isnt' for sale from Amazon (I was responding to Morgan's comment on Nintendo).

The Xbox One isn't for pre-sale that I can see :)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
If the PS4 has the H.265 codec included in it then i'm interested since that's the codec which will be used for 4K film content, otherwise less interested. Not interested in any console that makes it difficult for me to play secondhand games.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Yeah, I'm not to keen on XboxOne where they will be charging a fee to play used games or games that you bring over to friends house/borrow from friends.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Both consoles (Xbox One and PS4) will support 4K, according to Sony/MS.

Is the Wii U sold on Amazon UK (versus Amazon US) by a third party? Either way, the point of who sells it is irrelevant because it still jumped a few hundred spots.

JohnS - If you log into your XBL account at a friend's house (which people do all the time on their 360s) then you carry over your rights to that console while YOU are logged in (not sure if Kinect's facial log-in feature would work there; that would mean storing your face in the cloud). If you leave the game at your friend's house and go home, then he cannot play it for free unless he somehow logs into your account. There are some unclear details about this situation, like a temporary rental fee (a couple bucks) to play the game for a few days. So its not as bad as "you can only play the game on YOUR console" but it still kind of sucks. Also, since the game needs to be installed in full onto the HDD before its played, you have to sit and wait for that on your friend's console. That sort of sucks. And with only 500 GB of space, you risk running out from "borrowed" games real quick.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Morgan Jolley said:
Both consoles (Xbox One and PS4) will support 4K, according to Sony/MS.

Is the Wii U sold on Amazon UK (versus Amazon US) by a third party? Either way, the point of who sells it is irrelevant because it still jumped a few hundred spots.

JohnS - If you log into your XBL account at a friend's house (which people do all the time on their 360s) then you carry over your rights to that console while YOU are logged in (not sure if Kinect's facial log-in feature would work there; that would mean storing your face in the cloud). If you leave the game at your friend's house and go home, then he cannot play it for free unless he somehow logs into your account. There are some unclear details about this situation, like a temporary rental fee (a couple bucks) to play the game for a few days. So its not as bad as "you can only play the game on YOUR console" but it still kind of sucks. Also, since the game needs to be installed in full onto the HDD before its played, you have to sit and wait for that on your friend's console. That sort of sucks. And with only 500 GB of space, you risk running out from "borrowed" games real quick.
Amazon UK does sell the Nintendo console but it's £40 more than one of the sellers, as for 4K, yes, all good but will they have the H.265 codec support as standard, i remember buying the PS3 because it was a good console and had blu ray support, it was my first blu ray player before i invested in an Oppo, i'd like a player which supports 4K blu ray and that means the H.265 codec must be there in the console.

I'm not a fanboy either, i started out in the late seventies with video games, many different types of consoles and computers from Atari, Nintendo, X-Box to Playstation, i just want certain things in these new consoles and 4K playback from a disc, Sony says its possible with the H.265 codec, ( not streaming ) is one of them.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Morgan Jolley said:
What is going on right now?
What is going on is you showing that you believe there to be a 1:1 correlation between publicly available knowledge and the movements of 1 or more stocks.

This couldn't be further from the truth.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Between the built in Kinect and the DRM issue I'm not inclined to buy this. I can already do 1080p gaming on my big 67inch LED DLP with my PC in 5.1 surround with DRM free games that cost less than half the price of current video games.
I'll miss the exclusives for sure but c'est la vie.
Not even that sure about a PS4 at this point.
In a year from now, an Ouya could be looking very good.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Following past behaviors, I should be switching back to PC gaming for the next phase. But I expect to stay consoles for another round. I've enjoyed the 360 a lot. And I do have a strong preference for the Xbox controller (I've never understood the PS controller). But if the One won't have backwards compatibility, there's not a specific reason to remain loyal to the MS system.

I've read some speculation that the PS4 will be the better "gaming" system, with more powerful hardware, free online gaming service, and less emphasis on the living room experience. I don't think the living room stuff will actually be important to me.

Lacking much actual info :) which system appears to be suited for best specifically for gaming? Maybe it's already out, and named "Wii U"?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I've got both a Wii U and an Ouya and I would advise both of you to not get your hopes up for either one dethroning MS/Sony as the core gaming champion.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
DaveF - Honestly, I think the PS3 is currently the better home theater or living room entertainment device. MS has Pandora and HBO Go, but otherwise they all have the same major apps (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Instant, etc....also these are all on Wii U) but the PS3 has some exclusive stuff like sports programs and niche stuff (comedy apps, anime apps, etc.) and also is a more capable media player. Aside from using Kinect to change channels or look up guide info, I see nothing on the Xbox One that convinces me it will be better than the PS3 already is and the PS4 will likely be as a non-gaming media device.

Also, what do you dislike about the PS3 controller but like about the Xbox 360 one? I play everything and am used to them all but still don't get what people seem to think is the difference aside from, I dunno, the left joystick placement or the button symbols instead of letters. I'm genuinely curious because I don't get it.

Sam - I agree about the Wii U and Ouya, which is sad. Nintendo will always make fantastic games for their hardware but I don't think the Wii U will dominate like the Wii did. However, it will probably be more successful (relatively speaking) than the GameCube or N64 were in their day unless Nintendo cuts this gen short and releases a new console after only 3 or 4 years. I think the Ouya will face the problem of having no broad appeal to non-enthusiasts, half of whom probably have zero interest in it, anyway.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
First, I must confess the N64 is my favorite console. Right system, right time for me :) Rogue Keader, 1080, Jet Force Gemini, Beetle Adventure Racing!Why I bought an Xbox 369:A decade with N and I was tired of beepy-boopy dialogue; wanted HD; and my wife doesn't like the motion controls. PS3 was attractive. But it was still $100 more when I was shopping Circuit city in 2008. And the controller. It feels wrong. Dual parallel rear buttons are awkward to press. The D-pad made of separate trapezoidal buttons. The joysticks seem to the the wrong throw and resistance. The very shape of the thing feel poorly. It's been a while, but in the past it felt wrong in my hand. I'm curious about the new one.The best controller is the N64 then the 360, with close competition from the GameCube. Shaped right to fit my hands. Buttons shaped and sized for importance and reach. It works.But if the answer is ps4 is best value, best games, best exclusives, then I look hard at my dual-shock-phobia.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I read if you want to run used games, you'll have to pay a fee. From what I read, the "fee" is pretty well the full price of a new game. I don't like that. If they go with that model, the XBOX360 may be the last XBOX console that I buy.

Edit: I don't get why some people are uptight over the XBOXOne (what a stupid name) not having back compatability. Neither did the XBOX360. Older XBOX games had to be modded to play on the XBOX360. MIcrosoft is just continuing a practice that they have always done.

Now, the question is.....Is the PS4 going to have back compatability for PS3 games?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
DaveF said:
First, I must confess the N64 is my favorite console. Right system, right time for me :) Rogue Keader, 1080, Jet Force Gemini, Beetle Adventure Racing!Why I bought an Xbox 369:A decade with N and I was tired of beepy-boopy dialogue; wanted HD; and my wife doesn't like the motion controls.PS3 was attractive. But it was still $100 more when I was shopping Circuit city in 2008. And the controller. It feels wrong. Dual parallel rear buttons are awkward to press. The D-pad made of separate trapezoidal buttons. The joysticks seem to the the wrong throw and resistance. The very shape of the thing feel poorly. It's been a while, but in the past it felt wrong in my hand. I'm curious about the new one.The best controller is the N64 then the 360, with close competition from the GameCube. Shaped right to fit my hands. Buttons shaped and sized for importance and reach. It works.But if the answer is ps4 is best value, best games, best exclusives, then I look hard at my dual-shock-phobia.

I found once you got used to the light weight feel of the PS3 controller that it was easier on the hands than the XBOX one.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
The original N64 version of Super Smash Bros. is still the best. . .whatever the acronym is for those multiplayer battle arena games.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks