Xbox One owners thread!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Sam Posten, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    I ordered both systems within 3 minutes of them going live on Amazon.Used my Kinect to claim my day one chevon, that was cool.Bought DR3 special edition and the Killzone complete pack, dr3 was ready to play at 44%, everything else is queued behind it still.Passing on Ryse and Battlefield for now, to much else to do.

2. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

How is it so far? Which console's experience do you like more or why?

3. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer

Yes. I'd like to get your impressions on how it compares to the PS4 as well.

4. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I'm curious how you like the systems, too. I've read the Polygon PS4 and Verge xbox one reviews and was unimpressed. And my gadget buying this year has been very high, so new game system is off for a while (but I'm interested in a cheap PS3)I can't fathom MS savaging surround sound into stereo on pass through. It shows a complete lack of care on what they've said is Job 1 for the xbox. How do you make a unified interface for the Living Room , in 2014, that only does stereo? For now, I've got Alan Wake and other $20 classics on my shopping list :)

5. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    I'm reading that digital only copies are $20 MORE than disc copies in XBOX Live stores.

6. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

What? Where's a link to that info? If anything, digital only copies would be cheaper or the same price.

7. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer

MS is in a hurry to recoup the 700 or 800 million that they probably spent on developing the XBone. XD

8. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    I'm holding off on the consoles. As an early adopter of the last ones, I was a victim of red ring and yellow light of death. I ended up buying new consoles. I expect there will be problems with the new consoles at launch.

For those that have the One integrated into your home theater, how are the voice commands working when sound is coming out your speakers? Any sounds being misconstrued as commands?

9. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Both have their quirks. I couldn't pick one over the other at this point.

10. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I've read that the disc drive errors on XBO are more prevalent than the PS4's blue light issues.

Real shocker there.

11. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Friends got an Xbox One, and I was over there today to give them their "Akira" tickets for tomorrow night. I got a little demo. He bought Forza and showed me some of that. I'm not a racing-sim player (I skew "Beetle Adventure Racing" and "Burnout"), but it was gorgeous. Amazing vistas through the mountains.

I played a level of Killer Instinct. That brought back memories; I had that on the N64. It was even more fun on the XO. I had it on "don't hurt me", and used my general feel for button-mashers (swizzle the joystick and push buttons afterwards), and I won. While that's not a system seller, it's good fun and would probably be a day-one purchase for me if I were buying new.

He showed me some of the voice commands. That was neat, but hard to tell that it was faster or easier than menus or using my Harmony remote.

I liked the controller. It seemed as good, maybe better, than the current 360 controller.

Then we turned it off, switched to the PS3 and fired up the new Bioshock Infinite DLC :)

A few months ago, I though the XO or PS4 could be on my shopping list this Winter. However, I've upgraded a lot electronics this year -- somewhat unplanned. So console is off the shopping list for now. But even if I was overflowing with money, I'm not sure I'd buy the XO this year, given the paucity of games. If money and time were gushing, I'd probably get the Wii U (and Pikmin and the new Mario game). I think cheap 360 games and maybe a cheap PS3 are the order of business for me. And when the great new games come out, maybe get a new console next summer or Christmas.

12. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    This might be the only funny thing I have ever seen on a gaming podcast / stream:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWVEyE_iaCs&feature=player_detailpage#t=1797Skip to 30 mins in if it makes you watch it from the start.

13. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    How weird is it that the best game on Xbox One is.... Peggie 2???

14. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Not weird, since PopCap is teh awesome and Peggle was great fun. I hope it comes out for iOS.

Sam Posten likes this.
  15. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Not weird, maybe, but kind of sad.

16. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

$500, Kinect voice and motion controls, integrated TV functionality, $100 million toward improving the controller...

Best game available on 2 year old mobile phones.

Sidenote: GameSpot gave their Xbox One and PS4 Game of the Year to Assassin's Creed IV. That's a good but also kind of sad choice.

17. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    Won an XBOX1 today. I hadn't intended to buy one, bought the PS4 and have been very happy with it. But now we'll have them all.. PS4, XBOX1, WiiU.. kids TV is setup with XB1, PS3, WiiU and XBOX360+Media Center. Livingroom is Mediacenter & PS4, wife will keep the one XBOX360 for MCE Extender

Sam Posten likes this.
  18. DavidJ

DavidJ Producer
    Supporter

David
    Congrats, Matt. That's cool. We recently "had" to eat at McDonalds several times. I kept hoping I'd get lucky and win one there. I know it's not likely, but it's probably the only way I'm getting one. :)

19. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    And you ask me why I consider an iPad a competitor for gaming dollars... ;)Matt, neat on winning a One. I know someone who won a Surface Pro on Twitter. I need to enter MS contests.