What's new

XBox One -- how to combat the price issue.. (1 Viewer)

Kevin Collins

Former owner, from the first state with COVID-19
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Collins
Looks like Microsoft has taken notice about the $100 price delta from the PS4 and the XBox one.

A new image that seems taken from the Microsoft official store has leaked, apparently showing that the company is planning to announce and then launch a Basic Edition of the Xbox One, which will supposedly will sell for 379.99 dollars.

What is the "Basic Edition" of the XBox One... Looking at the pictures, it's the removal of the Kinnect...

Xbox-One-Basic-Edition-Will-Drop-Kinect-Sell-for-379-99-Dollars-or-Euro-Report.jpg

With all the hype about the integration of MS NUI (natural user interface) integrated into the overall experience of the XBox One, it seems like they are giving up on the entertainment part of the XBox one to focus on core gamers with the edition without the Kinnect. Maybe they should just call it the XBox One gamer edition?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Whoa. I didn't think they would do that. I'm less interested about the Xbox 720, as MS strips out the crazy, far-looking featuures that made the One unique.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
It's hilarious that MS is going out of their way to NOT offer what the public wants. Hilariously sad.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The XBOX1 is a non-starter with me, with or with out Kinect . MS tried to jam their spooge down people's throats and it got upchucked right into their face. Now they are crawling on their hands and knees, through a mile of broken glass, slicing chunks off their shitty DRM box to get into the good graces of gamers.

MS exec: Sorry, we tried to fuck you, but now that you showed you won't take our shaft would you please, please buy our newly vasectomized Xbone.
MS exec (whispered aside): Hope these fools don't realize that the "vasectomy" can be reversed. We just gotta get it in there first.

They can go to hell. Normally, I'm not a fanboy, but for this gen I'll make an exception and stick with the PS4. It doesn't hurt that the PS4 has better technical specs in the form of faster DDR5 ram and a removable, user upgradeable, hard drive.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Considering the official statements that have been made so far about the Kinect being a basic requirement, this was very obviously fake.

Edwin, I'm still waiting for you to tell us how you really feel about this.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I dunno Aaron -- they seemed pretty rigid on the DRM issue but then caved. So it's not out of the question they would cave again. What tipped me off was the "available for a limited time" blurb for the "Day One" edition. That made zero sense.

And yes Edwin, stop being so coy ;)

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
There's a much more serious reason that they cannot offer this without the Kinect, regardless of what the public's opinion is.

If they were to release even a single version that did not have the Kinect, it would essentially kill the Kinect. No developer is going to develop AAA titles or even single A titles that would use the Kinect if it wasn't a guarantee that the users owned one. By making it mandatory that the Kinect be involved, then it will become mainstream and developers will actually use it. Sell a SKU without one, and it becomes optional and niche, and will not survive.

Microsoft CANNOT release this without a mandatory Kinect. PS4 is doing that with the Eye, and that means that Motion Control on PS4 will be DOA. (Not that I'm complaining).

BTW I support Sony over Microsoft, just so you know I am being objective here.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Honestly, there are some excellent games out there for the Move. I hope there are a few on the PS4 as well.

I wish NBA Baller Beats wasn't an XBox exclusive. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Aaron Silverman said:
Edwin, I'm still waiting for you to tell us how you really feel about this.
I infer he's got a One on pre-order, but hard to say for sure.Glad to see MS sticking to it on the Kinect. I don't know if its a good decision, but its interesting and means there could be far more inventive games in a year or two.Calls to kill it I think are like asking Nintendo to release a cheaper Wii U, by removing display controller. They're obviously going for something different.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Ha Ha. Yeah, sorry. That last post was rough. Normally, I try to parse my comments better before posting but this fiasco for some reason has really rubbed me the wrong way. I'm only afraid that the XBOX1 will eventually be the #1 console in sales, meaning lowest common denominator ports to the PS4, because most developers will be writing for the XBOX1 specs; similar to what happened to the PS3 versus XBOX360.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Looking at a videogame console purely for what defines it (the games) I think MS has the weaker option, pure and simple. Anything you would want on an XBOne is going to be on a 360, PS3, or PS4 either this fall/winter or even into next spring, except maybe like 3 games. Even without Kinect and at the same price as a PS4 I don't think they have anything that compelling.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
The topic has been asked and answered many time prior. Here is what I stated in another thread that sums it all up.
For those thinking MS will eventually change their mind about a cheaper non Kinect version of the XB1 are deluding themselves. The reason has been discussed on several podcasts and articles this past week. It shows a direct connect with all XB1 game studios in that MS guarantees the Kinect to be madatory for the XB1 period. This is why you will not see it boxed without one. The game studios have been told to depend on it with every XB1 user because they MUST use it. That way they can code any games knowing it will be there regardless.

Now, rather or not anyone cares or will use the benefits of any game using Kinect is a personal choice. I for one find the whole motion sensor thing no matter if it's MS, Sony, etc. to be more of a novelity that wears thin. Just give me a really good controller or keyboard and mouse any day.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I keep reading that the PS3 didn't get as many "exclusives" as the XBOX360 in this cycle. I own both, and I am really struggling with that idea; so far, all of the best exclusives I've bought have all been on the PS3... Little Big Planet 1/2, Uncharted, Infamous, Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction, PixelJunk Monsters, Fat Princess.. I mean, all of the games that I think of as complete exclusives have all been PS3 this cycle.

The XBOX 360s "big" exclusives have all been FPS, as near as I can tell.. Halo, Mass Effect, Gears of War. The only real exclusive that gets me back on the XBOX is Fable III.

I guess I'm just not an FPS type person, and the PS3's exclusive catalog was incredibly diverse this time around.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Gears of War isn't a FPS, is it? I thought it was third person.

I actually have the game, but it's kind of useless since I don't have an XBox. :)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Aaron Silverman said:
Gears of War isn't a FPS, is it? I thought it was third person.I actually have the game, but it's kind of useless since I don't have an XBox. :)
I may be wrong, I thought it was some sort of fps

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
mattCR said:
I keep reading that the PS3 didn't get as many "exclusives" as the XBOX360 in this cycle. I own both, and I am really struggling with that idea; so far, all of the best exclusives I've bought have all been on the PS3... Little Big Planet 1/2, Uncharted, Infamous, Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction, PixelJunk Monsters, Fat Princess.. I mean, all of the games that I think of as complete exclusives have all been PS3 this cycle.

The XBOX 360s "big" exclusives have all been FPS, as near as I can tell.. Halo, Mass Effect, Gears of War. The only real exclusive that gets me back on the XBOX is Fable III.

I guess I'm just not an FPS type person, and the PS3's exclusive catalog was incredibly diverse this time around.
I didn't think much of Pixeljunk Monsters, but Uncharted, Infamous, and R&C:ToD were all great games. It kind of surprised me that Insomniac went exclusively XBOX1 with "Sunset Overdrive", but all the dream DRM must have made them cream themselves, considering that the CEO of that company cited the "features" of XBOX1 as the reason for going exclusive. Wonder how that is going to work out for them, now that MS is tripping over themselves to remove a lot of those "features"?

No big loss, though. The only INSOMNIAC game that I liked on the PS3 was R&C. The rest of their stuff, like RESISTANCE, was meh.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
mattCR said:
I may be wrong, I thought it was some sort of fps
No. IIRC (it has been a while since I played it) the views are all over the shoulder, so third party.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Gears of War is a third-person shooter.MS probably got more third-party exclusives, seeing as how a lot of formerly-exclusive third-party games on PS3 went multiplatform (FFXIII). That said...they mostly weren't any good. Should MS be proud that they got Too Human?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks