Xbox.ign gives The Thing an 8.3

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Zos, Aug 30, 2002.

1. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

2. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

I actually enjoyed CA's first game. If I can't find SMB2 or SOCOM/w Network Adaptor I might just pick this game up.

3. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris
    The only thing I'm really worried about is this game supposedly is really short. I think I read it at www.gamespot.com for the ps2 version. Something like 7 hours to finish it.
    ...that's shorter than Ico?!!? [​IMG]

4. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

With the large amount of great games coming out I don't have time anymore for the large 40+ hr games. 7 - 10hrs a game suits me just fine.

5. Romier S

Romier S Producer

6. Scott "E"

Scott "E" Second Unit

Although I'm sure there has got to be some reason the Xbox version scores a 7 in graphics and an 8 in gameplay, compared to the 7.9 for graphics and 8.5 for gameplay for the PS2, they never tell you since it's the exact same review. Yet another reason I will never be an Insider, great game though [​IMG]

7. Romier S

Romier S Producer

8. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris

9. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    I just picked up the PC version today and so far it's an outstanding game. Pretty faithful to the movie also. It was cool seeing Blair's spaceship in a game.

The graphics kickass. They must be pretty bad on the X-Box to only get a 7 because I'd rate them at least a 9.5 on the PC. I'll probably rent the X-Box version anyhow because this game would be really cool in 5.1.

10. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    The Xbox version is supposed to ship today. Anyone pick it up yet? Mine should be in Friday.

11. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

So did the Xbox version come out today? I stopped at a few stores on my way home from work. No luck. I saw Blade 2 available but didn't want to take a chance on it.

12. BrandonJF

BrandonJF Second Unit

It did come out today. I picked it up at EB and played it briefly. Not bad - my main disappointment is that it doesn't support 480p. I think this may be only the second XBOX game to not support progressive output.

13. Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont Supporting Actor

14. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

Well, shit. [​IMG]
    Guess I'll get the PC version, then...

15. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    I have posted this in the movie software section as well.

Just picked up the game The Thing for my Xbox and received a promotional DVD of the movie as well. I already have the original collectors edition.

Imagine my shock when I looked at the labelling on the disc which states it is a promo DVD and that is 2.35 widescreen and anamorphic!

This is one of my favourite movies that I was dying to see get an anamorphic re-release!

Well thinking this might be a labelling error I rushed home to check the disc out. Sure enough the disc is anamorphic and sports the advantages of the process.

I'll do some more comparisons between the 2 discs to see how much of a difference there is.

What a nice bonus - this is a movie I would have gladly rebought if there was an anamorphic re-release! And now I have it for free!

The audio seems to be the same mix but I'll reserve judgement until I view it further.

Can anyone else verify this?

16. Dave W

Dave W Stunt Coordinator

Just wanted to post that I too got this for PC and have to say its pretty decent... although the PC version had some sound issues on my system. Not a bad game and feels alot like the movie I think but I don't think its a game worth $50 either...

17. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    Lou, where did you buy it from? I'll gladly pick up the X-Box version just for that bonus disc.

18. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

The bonus disc isn't anamorphic, it's mislabled. Just like the resolicitation of the regular DVD.

No 480p = No Sale.

-Dave

19. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

"No 480p = No Sale."

So, DaveF, I take it prog scan makes a big difference? I'm not doubting you, I've just never had the chance to hook my Xbox up to a prog scan set.

"Just picked up the game The Thing for my Xbox and received a promotional DVD of the movie as well."

Lou, if you are going to make a post like that, you might anticipate that some forum members - like myself and Travis, for instance - are going to want to know where you got a deal like that from. So you might as well just include that information in your original post. But since you didn't, I'll repeat the request: Would you tell us where you got that deal from?

20. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    :b :b :b :b :b
    Sorry guys - I had checked the video from the projector(NEC LT150) which said it was receiving a non-interlaced signal.

Should have checked to see if the auto-scaling for my Panny RP91 was active - scales nonanamorphic to be anamorphic. It was active.

My bad.

James it was a pre-order promo through EB.