What's new

XBox + Component Cables (1 Viewer)

Ritchie T

Agent
I posted this accidentally on the Software forum, so hopefully I can get some replies from here,

Alrite, I just got Monster's 400x Component cables hooked up to my Sony 40xbr700. Im finally using my component inputs.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...ou0sFhT&Dept=tv

but last years model. But I got a few questions, not sure if this should be in video games or some other forum.

Well I only got 3 games, Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon, and Mechassualt, no Dragons Lair. So I guess the best I would get is 480p. Im guessing my tv is HDTV-Ready, and it doesnt have the HDTV tuner built in. So I was wondering, am I getting HD? Or do I need a tuner just to recieve that from my xbox? And will I only be getting true HD from a 1080i game? Im also guessing the tuner is only for broadcast channels.

I tried playing ghost recon, and to me it looks like the red is bluring out a little (this is during the loading screen, when it shows the emblem of elite,veteran, etc. difficulity level). Other than that, everything seems alrite. But the thing is that I really dont notice too much of a difference than my older monster 300x s-video cable.

And for anyone with a Sony, what setting do you set your tv to when playing? Pro? Standard? Etc. And do you use the enhanced 16x9? Also, should I set my tv for standard, widescreen, or letterbox for the xbox? Im really just looking for advice to put my tv and cables to better use.

Another questions is about a seperate DVD player I have. Its an older panasonic with progressive scan. I also have that hooked up with component cables (AR MS291). I really do not see too much of a difference than my older s-video cables. Anything I should do to enhance my viewing experience?

and by the way, I do not have my TV calibrated. So besides doing that, any other tips on what I should do?

Thanks!

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
With the games that you have, the best resolution available is 480p. With Dragon's Lair, you could get 1080i. Some other games can display 720p. If you aren't seeing much of a difference between the new cables and the SVideo, you should verify that the set is actually displaying a 480p signal. Also, you might want to consider renting Dead or Alive 3 & performing an A/B test with your cables. DoA3 has such great visual quality that it makes a good reference.

I have a Sony 57hw10, so if the picture types are consistent between models, you will want to use Pro. Actually, you'll want Pro for everything, as it doesn't introduce image "enhancements" that actually reduce picture quality.

If the red is a little out of focus, it sounds like you need a convergence adjustment. I'm not sure how it is accessed on your model, but you should be able to find that information either in the "Display Devices" section on HTF, or one of the forums over at AVSForum and HomeTheaterSpot.

The number 1 thing to do is to get a copy of Avia Home Theater Essentials and calibrate your tv settings yourself. Obviously it isn't as good as having it ISF'ed, but 30 minutes and $30 can make a huuuge difference.

-Dave

Ritchie T

Agent
thanks for the help yall. I already fixed up the xbox to 480p and 1080i. I just got my self a DVD to help calibrate my set, its not AVIA though, I think its made by dishwasher or something like that, it was on clearance for only $7, from a $24 price tag. Im having alittle trouble understanding some sections of the calibrating, but Ill figure that out a little later.

By the way Dave, I set my tv on Pro mode. When playing games, I have trouble in dark areas during the game. Its real difficult to see unless I turn it to Vivid mode. And the thing is, Im not really to fond of Vivid mode.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I have the same situation, Ritchie. I ended up mirroring the Pro settings on my Movie setting, then bumped up the brightness a little bit. Now I keep it on pro, then switch to Movie for the darker games.

-Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks