What's new

Xbox as a HTPC? (1 Viewer)

chris larralde

Stunt Coordinator
This may be a dumb question, but will Microsoft's Xbox be a viable alternative to a HTPC. The AV adapter adds component out and the unit supports native SVGA and XGA resolutions. I think it also has the latest greatest video chip (or whatever) that's used in PCs.
I confess that I don't know much about PCs (just Macs) but am I missing something here?
For that matter, will a Playstation II work? I know it sucks as a stand alone DVD player, but how about as a system to drive a projector?

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Xbox and PS2 will both work -as a DVD player. Xbox is supposed to support progressive scan (and there have been rumors that PS2 will eventually).
That said, neither is yet capable of scaling the resolution like a HTPC can. At best you get a capable progressive scan DVD player. Microsoft has claimed HD support but hasn't actually announced any specifics leading me to believe it's just marketing hyperbole.
-Camp

chris larralde

Stunt Coordinator
I just emailed a buddy who works on the Xbox team and he said at this point, the Xbox won't support progressive scan. I was, however, under the impression that Xbox would support 600x800 as well as 1024x768 resolution.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The PS2 is supposed to have a software update with the Sony remote that will support progressive scan. I heard the XB would support prog scan, but obviously that was wrong. I wonder if the DVD add-on will enable it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks