What's new

"Xbox 360 defects: an inside history of Microsoft’s video game console woes" (1 Viewer)

Matthew_V

Stunt Coordinator
Xenon/Zephyr/Falcon/Opus/Jasper/Valhalla - Microsoft Xbox and Xbox 360 - Digital Spy Forums

posted 18-09-2008, 23:40

Valhalla is predicted to be the final (or at least scheduled) revision of the Xbox 360 before the next generation Xbox is launched. Apart from the possibility of the CPU and GPU being further reduced to 45nm reducing cost of production (which will help with price decreases in retail) it is believed that both the GPU and CPU will share the same piece of board together. The benefits of this (along with the reduced need for cooling systems with a much cooler 45nm chip) is that the entire internal board within the console takes up a great deal less space (possible as much as 30% less) and as such the Valhalla could lead to an Xbox 360 Slim version. The console having a redesign and being far smaller in height or width. Due to the Hard Drive limitations it is believe that it will be shortened along its long length rather than its narrower width leading to a machine upto 30% shorter when stood upright.
With a smaller design, smaller cooling systems and lower power supply it is believed this could be the most reliable, smallest and quietest of the Xbox 360 family.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Dean Takahashi wrote a great book a few years ago "Opening the Xbox" which was a revealing look at the development and success of the original Xbox.

I'm a classic case of someone who ended up passing on the 360 until just recently with the release of Jasper. Even then I looked at a bunch of units serial numbers until I could find one I confirmed to be Jasper. It's a great system too, so it really is too bad that I held off buying one for so many years. In that time, my gaming money went to a PS3 and Wii, revenue that likely would have gone to Microsoft (at least a significant percentage) had they done it right from the beginning and had no RROD. Instead I own only a few games on the 360, and the library is growing retrospectively, so games to me are under $30 (most under $20), whereas I probably would have bought them at $60 had I owned a 360 at the time of their release.

xbox808

Auditioning
Real Name
Roman
Doesn't the Fan cause the Xbox to over heat? Because it take more power to generate the Fan?
Btw...Has anybody played the new UFC beta/demo? I think it came out today.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks