What's new

X3: X-Men The Last Stand DVD review (1 Viewer)

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit

Right. I read on Mark Evanier's site that he was interviewed for a Jack Kirby documentary on the FF disc. That never came out. I'm sure a 2 disc will hit right before the sequel.

Thanks for all the info! Guess I'll skip this for now.

JoePassmore

Stunt Coordinator

It never occurred to me to include a comparison pic with a standard DVD case, and I've not compared it myself, so I can't answer that at the moment. I think it might be a little taller as I look at the pics. I'll post a comparison tomorrow..

I think it's totally worth it. You're not missing anything from the CE because it comes with the comic book; so it's a bonus - better packaging AND the comic, and not to mention NO FRENCH!

Matt Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all---

For what it's worth, I just bought the single-disc, regular widescreen version of X3 at the Circuit City on I-45 in Webster, TX, and I got the version with 21 deleted scenes. I've read on another message board that some of the numbers in the bad code may indicate whether you're buying the 21 version or the 13 version---my DVD has a small "20" above the top right side of the bar code. Not sure if it matters or not.

Grant, thanks for the heads up about the Circuit City ad. It was nice insurance---just in case I needed to return the DVD because it didn't include the number of deleted scenes that they advertised.

Needless to say, it's a relief. I don't need to worry about the whole double-dip thing now---on THIS title. However, it still makes me mad that Fox does this to US fans, and I'd still like to send them a letter or email. Someone posted an 800 number, but I think it was only for complaints regarding the Wal-Mart bonus disc, right? Is this correct? If anyone has contact information for general concerns, post it here so others can voice their concerns over Fox's double-dipping.

Regards,
mattl

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
I have the version with 21 extra scenes (for some reason, the disc is named Stanford Bridge -- is that an X-Men reference that I'm not familiar with?).

The VIDEO_TS folder is 7.73 gb -- 8,300,464,128 bytes. Can someone with the 13 version check the size for comparison? I suspect the content is the same, with different menus.

MarkBurton

Second Unit
Don,
The disc with 10 deleted scenes and 3 alternate endings is also named Stanford Bridge. However, the VIDEO_TS folder is 7.39 GB -- 7,940,241,408 bytes.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

I remember that the first pressings of "Revenge of the Sith" were similarly mis-titled. It's an anti-piracy measure. Someone who has gained access to a DVD replication plant might run off a buttload of "X-Men: The Last Stand" DVD's but pass on "Stanford Bridge".

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor

As did I. "Importing discs" is not exactly an issue when you could've ordered this 2-disc set for $15 shipped from CD Wow :)

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor

Joe, the Oppo 970 is a tremendous value at $150 shipped with exceptional performance. If you want to spend a little more and have a huge TV set the 971 is likewise superb.

oppodirect.com

Joe-Frietze

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Mike. That's probably the one I will go for (970). I'll check the threads about it. Didn't one of them have poor reports from analog connections (component) but did fine through digital (DVI/HDMI)?

SVTStingRay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Daniel
Just to update for those of you who maybe didnt see it. please call, the more people that call, the faster this will be resolved.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
At first, I was upset that Fox released a 2-disc set of this overseas & shafted their U.S. customers by planning a double dip later.

But after re-reading this thread, I realised they've done us a favor. Had it been available release day, I would have bought the overpriced 2-disc set, and gotten a lot of material that I won't watch anyway (another breathless promo, another doc on special effects - yawn)

Instead, I got the movie w/ great picture, DTS, 21 deleted scenes & commentaries (the only bonus features I care about) for $13.99!!!

Thanks Fox for helping me not spend more money with you!!! :emoji_thumbsup:

John Alderson

Supporting Actor

Pretty much sums up my thoughts as well. I've been disappointed by the vast majority of recent Special Editions. I don't know if it's my own feeling of "I've seen it all" or if the docs just aren't that good these days.

(Bah, I'm becoming a crankly old DVD geek. "Back in my day we had non anamorphic transfers and we bought four of 'em just to show our appreciation! You kids are soft!") :D

Sev Bragg

Stunt Coordinator
I am still confused, I am holding out on buying this, I want the maximum amount of deleted scenes, is it only Wal-Mart that is having this problem with some discs having fewer deleted scenes than others, or what?
I couldn't care less about the Wal-Mart exclusive bonus disc being messed up, I just want all the deleted scenes available. I am holding out on buying until I know. thedigitalbits.com were supposed to give us a smoothed out update, but nothing thus far.

MarkBurton

Second Unit
Sev -

The 13 vs. 24 deleted scene/alternate ending issue is not limited to Wal-Mart. My friend bought his at Best Buy and it had 13 deleted scenes. I bought mine at Wal-Mart and it has 24. As far as I can tell, there is no way to distinguish them, until you pop the disk in.

Sev Bragg

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the help, but I don't get why they haven't issued any consumer information on this as of now.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I think the best insurance policy was to get it at Circuit City (which had the best price anyway), where the weekly circular actually ADVERTISED the 23 deleted scenes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks