What's new

X3: X-Men The Last Stand DVD review (1 Viewer)

James@R

Second Unit

No, they're all available on the same menu, regardless of which 'theme' you choose. And technically, there are 23 deleted scenes (or 12) if you count the two easter eggs.

But isn't Region 1 the only release that isn't 2 disc? If so, that seems a little odd. I know they want to double-dip, but they usually do that with 2-disc releases anyway. If they're going to wait until next year, that's just encouraging piracy.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Nice menu sound.
Good movie.
Nice DTS sound, DD is louder, but less clear.
Picture was good.
Anyone see after the credits...Xavier is where?

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I picked this up. 24 deleted scenes.

This is one of the nicest looking DVDs Ive seen.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Don't forget, there are NTSC 2-Disc releases out there which also make the Region 1 version a laughing-stock. Mainly for those who are uncomfortable with PAL or are unused to it. Not every DVD is the absolute best in Region 1-land, that's a fact.

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
I just checked my R1 DVD, and I definately have all 21 deleted scenes (+ 3 alt endings). However, they are NOT spread over 2 pages, with 10 on each.... more like 3 on page 1, 4 on pages 2-3, 6 on page 4, 4 (+2 deleted scenes) on page 5, and 1 deleted scene on page 6 (or something along those lines).....

Oh, and the DTS ES Discrete (not matrix) was a nice touch...

Matt Lucas

Stunt Coordinator

Apparently, I've answered one of my own questions. The amazon.com.ca site lists the X3 DVD, and it *appears* to be the single-disc version. Can anyone confirm this?

Regarding the whole deleted scenes issue, has anyone compiled a list of stores and whether or not the store stocked the US single-disc version with the 21 deleted scenes or the 10 deleted scenes? It might be good if people who've bought the DVD in the US could reply to this thread and list where they bought it and how many deleted scenes it had.

Regards,
mattl

TomTom

Stunt Coordinator
Great Picture Quality on this dvd.
But I also think its got one of the worst writer/director commentaries ever.
25 minutes in, I had to turn them off. To me, they seemed like a bunch of "teenage girls gossiping".

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

WOW, talk about getting screwed with this R1 release! It's an absolute joke compared to the Special Edition that R2 got. This is exactly why I rented and did not buy this release......you know X3.3 will be announced within the next 6 months. :thumbsdown:

JoePassmore

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone else get the metal packaging from Futureshop? (much better than the ugly french on the regular CE with the comic). It had a spot for a second disc...was mine missing? I didn't think R1 was getting a 2-disc edition?

Matt Lucas

Stunt Coordinator

Didn't Ratner give fans a heads up about the double-dip in an interview a few weeks ago? Seems like it was with IGN, but I could be wrong.

Regardless, I'm not sure what we can do as consumers AND X-Men fans. I checked the Fox Home Video site, and there appears to be NO WAY to contact the company and leave feedback. No email address. No corporate physical address. No message board. There are email addresses for concerns like privacy, but nothing for feedback. Gee, the implication is that they don't WANT our feedback and don't CARE about our views...

Of course, the reality is that Fox will sell lots of copies of X3 whether it's a single disc or 2-disc version in the US. Regardless, if anyone has their contact information, I'd love to send Fox an email or letter to let them know how I feel about the whole double-dipping concept.

The thing is, if I knew I was getting the US version with the 20+ deleted scenes, I'd buy it and skip the eventual 2-disc version. I like watching the "making of" type featurettes, but, in all honesty, unless they're really good, I usually end up watching them once and that's it. I do tend to rewatch deleted scenes every once in a while, though, so I want all of them if I can get them.

Getting the UK 2-disc version of the DVD isn't an option for me because I don't have a region free player. Besides, isn't there also the whole NTSC vs. PAL issue?

Regards,
mattl

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'm a dope. I bought the Collectore's Edition not realizing that the only extra was the comic book and the packaging! I guess I assumed it was a 2 disc version. Man, was I surprised when I opened it up!

JoePassmore

Stunt Coordinator

IMO, the better packaging is totally worth it. The standard packaging is GOD AWFUL, and up here in Canada, there's french on the cover as well. Definitely recommend getting the metallic packaging from Futureshop. French-free, and it looks WAY cool...

BrandonJF

Second Unit

The R3 2-disc collector's edition is NTSC. I've been considering it since I do have a region free player lying around, although it isn't my "default" DVD player, so it isn't that convenient for me to have an R3 disc...

James@R

Second Unit

Yeah, the only extra I really miss is that documentary about the evolution of the series.

But as you said, they'll sell a lot of copies. The display at Best Buy was virtually cleaned out when I went yesterday. And truthfully, I doubt many of those people will even notice that it isn't a SE, and probably just bought it for the film. However, I still don't understand why they deviated from the usual gimmick of releasing both a single and 2 disc version.

BrandonJF

Second Unit

That's WB and Universal's gimmick. Fox's is to intentionally hold off already produced supplements for the first release, then turn around and release it with everything that could've been on it in the first place a few months later.

MarkBurton

Second Unit
I compared my copy of X3 to a friend's copy and there definately are two different versions: one with 24 deleted scenes (including the 3 alternate endings) and one with 13 (including the 3 alternate endings).

Here is the complete list of 24 deleted scenes. The ones marked with an asterisk * are the ones exclusive to the disk with 24 deleted scenes.

Xavier Voice-Over For Main Tiles
Jimmy In Laboratory
Alternate Version: Beast Meets Logan
Pyro Tells Magneto About The Cure Announcement: Clean Shaven Version
Pyro Tells Magneto About The Cure Announcement: Bearded Version
Alternate Version: Guard Yells At The President
Extended Fight Sequence At Jean Grey's House
* "Psychic Battle" Voices
* Alternate Version: Bobby & Kitty Skate
* Original Version: Jean Displays Her Power At The Encampment
* Plastic Weapons Manufacturing
* Hank Warns Trask Of Magneto's Plan
* Original Version: X-Men Board The Jet
* Jean Senses A Scared Little Girl
* Magneto Asks Jean To Help In The Battle
* Storm Creates A Wave
* Beast Breaks A Neck
* Bobby Freezes Phat
Alternate Version: Here's Juggy
Magneto Tortures Logan
Extended Dark Phoenix Destruction
Alternate Ending: New School Year Begins
Alternate Ending: Rogue Returns
Alternate Ending: Logan Returns To Alberta, Canada

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Fox totaly F-ed up this release and I'm pissed. Everyone should throw there disc back at Fox with a big FU sticker on it. Fox should immediately recall all the disc and fix this error. I can't believe that some are okay with it, this is why big companies get away with screwing over costumers all the time because no one ever stands up to them. I bought the disc at Wal-Mart to get the bonus disc which is also screwed up. The bonus disc doesn't have anything on it that is advertised on the box. There is nothing about the making of the movie on the bonus disc, just a stupid doc about the comic book history. This is false advertisement at it worst and everyone is letting Wal-Mart and Fox get away with it. I'm pissed and I'm going back to Wal-Mart to demand my money back. I will never by another DVD from Wal-Mart again and Fox my never get my money again if they don't fess up and fix the error.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks