What's new

X1 Calibration Settings (1 Viewer)

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
To all X1 fans out there. Have any of you used the new Digital Video Essentials to calibrate the X1?

I'm afraid I'm just not satisfied with the shadow detail on my X1. Watched T3 last night & dark scenes seemed to lack detail (i.e. minimal detail, large areas of "pure black" running together). Now ... part of my problem is certainly my screen (DIY - unpainted blackout fabric). I will upgrade, probably to a DaLite matte white pulldown.

In the meantime, I'd like other X1 fans to report on the settings they settled on after using DVE. Please note contrast, brightness, color temp, red, green, blue).

Thanks ... Scott

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Will not the answers be of questionable value since optimal settings also depend a lot on the screen that is being used?

Kinda like asking people to post the combination lock numbers for their bike locks? Maybe they awill help, but more than likely they will not.

Regards

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
Thanks for the fast replies guys ....

Michael does make a good point and I realize the limitations. I used the original Video Essentials & found it very difficult to see significant differences using the std contrast & brightness settings. Regardless, I have my settings stored as USER1 and I want to try some others results as USER2, USER3 so I can do a quick compare.

Indeed the screen makes a difference, but I know many others are also using similar DIY screens.

I'll probably pick up DVE this week (if I can find it locally), but I was really hoping for some comparison input. FWIW, I'm using component via InFocus S-video adapter. My source is Panny DMR-E60 DVD recorder.

Scott

Tom Ferguson

Auditioning
Make sure you dvd player doesn't have a enhanced black level setting that is enabled.

The vga connection improves shadow details. An HTPC improves shadow details even a step further.

From head to head shootouts posts I've seen suggest your DaLite matte white pulldown is not a very good screen for a digital projector.

andy_brehm

Stunt Coordinator
why is the dalite matte white pulldown not a good choice? i have one on backorder right now (model b) and if this is true, shoud i consider cancelling it and getting something different?

i guess im asking how much gail will there be with a better screen. when projecting onto a white wall yesterday, the image was only 30-40" or so, but i was pretty pleased with the picture. should i get a different screen or will this one do?

Tom Ferguson

Auditioning
This is a pretty good comparison.

www(dot)avsforum(dot)com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=253239&perpage=20&pagenumber=1

It does not however cover your screen.

andy_brehm

Stunt Coordinator
dean,

thanks for the encouragement. i bought this screen cause of price ($105 or $130 shipped) i guess i have to remind myself that there is always something better, and i dont have the money to afford it!

i have heard a little about firehawk, are they expensive?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks