What's new

X1 and related accessories (1 Viewer)

andy_brehm

Stunt Coordinator
as some may know i am planning on purchaing a x1 in the somewhat near futher (month or two) and since money will be a bit tight i want to make sure i have everything accounted for. there will be 3 sources of input for the projector, PS2, DVD, and standard cable.

With that said, i want to make sure that i know of everything i need to hook everything up. i dont want to get the projector then find out that i cant hook anything up to it! I have heard that i should get a vcr to hook the cable up to then run that to the projector. other than that, what all will i need to hook those sources up to the x1. thanks in advance.

andy

andy_brehm

Stunt Coordinator
it is a progressive player. that good, it just sounds like i need to buy a couple of adapeters to get everything to work out alright. I wasnt too excited about buying a vcr just to hook everything up, id never use it i dont think!

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Let me rephrase the Cable part....cable into VCR, then video out(VCR) to video in of projector with a composite cable...
You need something to act like a tuner box...A vcr can be had for around $40.....

andy_brehm

Stunt Coordinator
oh, well i almost got lucky. there is no way around buying a vcr then?

btw: any suggestions on a vcr? i havent looked at one in over 7 years. just something cheap that will get the job done

thanks

ChadLB

Screenwriter
I would think any VCR would do the trick if you are only using it as a tuner.....
It is a nice machine for the Price...I demoed it for 10 days but chose the Z1 because of true 16:9 mode.
I watched some TV/Movies on it and it was awesome......Think about it 2 or 3 years ago I paid $860 for my 36" tube TV and for the $1,000 mark you can get into FP ...who wouldn't.....

andy_brehm

Stunt Coordinator
cool, i guess ill start looking for a vcr now in preparation.

as for the different aspect ratio's of the projector. i know that it is a native 4:3 but has a 16:9 mode. for some reason i dont think im understanding everything about this. the way i understand it is you can play 16:9 material on the projector using this mode but it will have a lower resolution than a true 16:9 native projector. will the image size still be the same, just fewer pixels?

also, i know someone tried to explain this before, but im still fuzzy. the native resolution is 800x600 but it has a maximum of 1024x768 or something. what is the higher resolution for? i assume that it cant display at that resolution or everyone would use it. what exactly does that resolution tell me about the projector?

thanks

andy_brehm

Stunt Coordinator
you can connect your pc to the x1 for higher resolutions.
how exactly does that work? i have been trying to get some info on this but havent had much luck. id like to get this to work, but im not sure if i can afford it right now. my current video card is a dual head so i have 2 19" monitors hooked up to it, with no signal being sent out to something like a projector. would i have to get a new computer with a line out for the projector. what exactly would i have to do to get the higher resolutions?

thanks

Suhas

Auditioning
I apologize in advance if these questions have been answered before.

I am also considering buying an X1 and have a few newbie questions about it. I am planning to hook up the following to my projector: XBOX, HDTV-capable Cable box, DVD player.

The current setup I have has all my equipment in an equipment cabinet at the front of the room. The projector will be about 12 feet away. The way I understand it, I will need the following:
- Some kind of switching device to take component video signals from the 3 sources and convert them to a single signal.
- A long set of component video cables to take the signal from my switcher box to the X1.
- An adaptor to convert the component video to S-video input.

Is this correct? If yes, what should I expect to pay for this?

Some other questions:
- Are there any issues with sending component video signals over a fairly long distance as I am doing? Will I need to buy cables with better shielding for this?
- Is there any issue with loss of quality or resolution when converting a component video signal to S-Video? I was under the impression from reading this forum that component video provided much better color and resolution than S-video. Is that correct?

I am addicted to PIP with my current 61" Sony rear projection. Are there tuner devices that will do HDTV PIP that I can use with a projector (I expect that one of the pictures will be non-HD since my cable box will only have 1 tuner)?

andy_brehm

Stunt Coordinator
I have a matrox g450 i believe. im not sure exactly, but its matrox's dual head video card. the only outputs it has are two vga that go to my monitors.

one thing i forgot to add earlier. since i dont have any HD sources, would it be a worth while investment to use a HTPC? I have a spare motherboard in the closet, but i would have to buy everthing else.

Thanks

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Suhas, in your situation you really don't need the s-video adapter. If you want to watch HDTV or progressive scan on your X1 then you need the Component to vga adapter. If you want to use your x-box or watch regular, non-upconverted cable, then you need just an s-video cable. If you only want to watch 480i dvd with component cables, then buy the component to s-video adapter.

So if you want HDTV (which you definitely do on the X1) you will probably need to run 2 cables. 1 VGA (w/adapter) for hdtv, dvd, upconverted cable and 1 S-Video for PS2 and cable.
Is there any issue with loss of quality or resolution when converting a component video signal to S-Video? I was under the impression from reading this forum that component video provided much better color and resolution than S-video. Is that correct?
Debatable, I find the steps from coaxial to composite to s-video much more noticeable than s-video to component, but YMMV. If it were me and I didn't have a progressive scan player I would save the cash on the adapter and just hook it up with an s-video and let the Faroudja DCDi work its magic.

andy_brehm

Stunt Coordinator
alright, i just balanced my chekcbook and found that i have $1200 i can spend on a projector. i think im going to purchase the x1 and get a cheap model b screen....matte white or something along those lines. i have found the projector for $950 w/free shipping, has anyone seen it for cheaper?

thanks!

Suhas

Auditioning
Jed, thanks for helping me get unconfused. I understand now that I need the VGA cable rather than the S-video.

I want to use the 480p component output from my XBOX so I guess I will need some kind of input selection/mixing device to multiplex the inputs from my XBOX with the cable box.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks