What's new

X-Plan discount for car buyers - what's the % off ? (1 Viewer)

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Is an X-Plan a straight % off "invoice" or does it vary by model ? Any auto-maker employees care to spill the beans on X pricing details ?

Do you get a certain number of discounts to share with family/friends ?

Thanks

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
1. It is usually an arrangement between your employer and the auto maker (in this case, Ford, and its subsidiaries). It is generally intended for those who use fleets of Ford vehicles. But that is not always so.

2. It is not a percentage below invoice, rather, it is a percentage over dealer cost. And it varies based on the subsidiary.

3. Most of the time, they are not transferable within the family, at least not any of the plans I have seen (and I have participated in 3 of them). All of the ones I have been in allowed between 1 and 2 car purchases, and I believe annually at that.

4. You have to get the company or plan code from the work place. Then you sign up for the X-Plan, go walk into the dealer, and you are at least supposed to let them know immediately that you are using the X-Plan. They are then supposed to show you the dealer cost and the price you will be charged on an "official" form.

5. I would still check on Edmunds and other sources about any special deals out there. The X-Plan website will also tell you which discounts or incentives are applicable even with the X-Plan. Most aren't but sometimes one or two may still apply.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Thanks Mike - so the 1 or 2 purchases a year are not transferrable to anyone else, either in your family or out ?

ClintS

Stunt Coordinator
My wife has this plan, and the vehicle must be titled in the employees name. (I think I remember that it must stay that way for 12 months too, although I dont know how they could possibly track that)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Actually, Ford Motor's A plan is for employee and immediate family purchases (limited to a certain number per year). The X plan discount can be assigned to anyone -- there are no relationship restrictions. It's intended to allow Ford employees to get friends/extended family who would otherwise buy a competing product to instead buy from Ford. Retirees fall under another plan (Z, I think).

We purchased our last Mercury Villager via our neighbor (a Ford employee) through the X plan.

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
Clint - they could track it through the VIN, if they really wanted to.

Scott, that may be the case with some places. All I can say is that every Plan I had access to byt virtue of being employed there only allowed their employees or their spouses to purchase the vehicles...

Mike

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Mike, the only plans that I'm familiar with are Ford and GM, and they are vastly different, as you indicate. Ford's "X-Plan", which can be assigned to anyone connected with a Ford employee, is fairly new. Their "A-Plan" (active employees) and "Z-Plan" (retirees) have been around for many years. We have purchased two Mercury Villagers through two different Ford plans.

I do not believe that GM offers anything similar to Ford's X-Plan, but their current employee and retiree discounts can be assigned to several different types of family members. A co-worker always purchases GM products via their discount by virtue of his sister being a GM employee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks