What's new

X-Men 3 - October 3rd (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I actually do prefer this over the insulting practice of having a premium priced SE (often with sub-par bouns material these days, along with Universal's problem of issuing about 2 copies of their collector's editions for the entire country) released day and date with a bare-bones version

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I'd rather have the 2-discer day & date with the bare bones, even if I have to pay a slight premium versus waiting 6 months to a year for Fox to get it out (like the DC of Mr. & Mrs. Smith). I really like the way WBHV does their releases. Phantom of the Opera is the de facto example of a perfect release.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
They should learn that this hurts them. Once I get the simple edition, I will not pay for the special edition (for a normal movie). If they release them both day and date, I would buy the special edition.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
I know this is off-topic of X-Men, but I believe we wouldn't have any of these problems if the DVD industry hadn't gotten so successful. These multiple editions (whether double-dips or day and date editions) were "necessitated" by the industry to cover profit margins. When stores use DVDs as loss leaders, they were unable to cover profits. For day and dates, they can now use the single disc editions as loss leaders and the double-disc more expensive editons to make money off us "fans".
It sucks, but it's simple economics.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Any word as to a CE of Xmen 3. I held off buying this release, I and I'm tempted by Best Buy's $9.99 price on it this week, But I know Fox loves to Double Dip on these.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

It's on Sale this week for $9.99 picked up a copy yesterday. Normally $19.99

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
Thanks! The one by work didn't have any widescreen but the one by the house did. The movie's worth ten bucks just to finish the trilogy but I wasn't willing to pay more than that.

Matthew Clayton

Stunt Coordinator

In case you didn't know already, the R1 X3 disc does have Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround EX and DTS 6.1 ES tracks (they can't be selected on the fly, they have to be picked from the menu). The audio was mastered for home theater presentation by Mi Casa Multimedia (the same guys who did "The Lord of the Rings" EEs and many other New Line and Lionsgate films).

And the DD EX track is even better than the previous two's surround tracks -- not that those two weren't demonstration worthy, this track is just superb. Very good localization, deeply impressive bass usage, clear dialogue, and frequent surround use even in dialogue-driven scenes. Even better, John Powell's score was cleanly delieanated and I could hear the different instruments, very impressive work by score mixer Shawn Murphy.

If you're picking an X-Men movie to show off that surround system, this movie is definitely it. I also like the fact that the menus are in 5.1 surround, as well as the deleted scenes.

Brandon.B

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandon.B
When is the special edition X3 DVD coming out already for R1? I never picked up the original release because everyone was saying a better version was coming. Any news yet?

Mathew B

Stunt Coordinator
And hopefully it will be an extended edition. If this film needed anything, it was more footage. The film moved so fast that you could get whiplash.

Brandon.B

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandon.B
Any news on when that 2 disc is going to show up already? Have still held off on this.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
There's already a 2-Discer available from Japan, Hong Kong and some NTSC countries. Why wait when you can go region-free?

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
I'm still waiting for this also. I KNOW if I pick up the 1 disc, the 2 disc will show up on the shelves a month later.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks