X-Files Season 9??

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Paul Stoddard, Feb 13, 2004.

1. Paul Stoddard

Paul Stoddard Auditioning

Does anyone know if Fox is planning to release the final season of X-Files? I've heard that it didn't match the ratings of other seasons when it aired, but I hope they'll put out the DVD set and complete the series.

2. LisaDoris

LisaDoris Stunt Coordinator

I can't remember if there was an insert with S8 but FOX has been fairly consistent with May/November releases. The ratings may have dipped but they won't pass up the opportunity to milk the franchise for one last dime.

3. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Screenwriter

From today's Bits

4. PaulP

PaulP Producer

I'm a fan of the Files since Season 4, when it was in its prime, but I greatly enjoy the latter seasons as well, which for some reason are the most disliked. There are some absolutely awesome episodes in seasons 7, 8, and 9. Can't wait to complete my collection! Hopefully the second X-Files film isn't too far away...

I'll probably also pick up the other Chris Carter series.

5. John Simon

John Simon Second Unit

I've bought the first 8 seasons, but I refuse to buy the ninth, which I completely loathed (not to mention I thought the series finale was a complete letdown, aside from the last 15 minutes). However, I have to ask if anyone knows why this won't be coming out until November (according to the Bits)? It will end up being the first X-Files season that was not released on a 6 month basis. That seems awfully strange to me.

Oh, and if by some chance any Fox execs read this, I would consider buying this set if (and only if) Duchovny and Anderson provided a commentary for the finale AND if the famous gag reels from all 9 seasons were included on the set.

6. Matt`L

Matt`L Stunt Coordinator

Perhaps the delay is due to syndication or something similar? I'm not in the U.S., but I often hear about this syndication business. Perhaps releasing two seasons are year means that the dvds have caught up to the current episodes airing on syndication?

7. Michael Sliger

Michael Sliger Second Unit

I'm not in any rush to own the X-Files Season 9 DVDs (I will get them at the release date, but I don't have to have the disks in May), but I hope that the November date means that we will be seeing Millennium: Season 1 and Harsh Realm: The (Half) Complete Series during the interim instead of near November (as the Bits also mentions). IMHO, people on a budget may only pick up one of those sets, hurting the overall sales figures.

8. Steve Meil

Steve Meil Stunt Coordinator

Steve
    I am hoping that they just release just the final episode at some point. Seaon 8 & 9 just don't cut it. Lets not forget the outrageous prices for this set.

9. Kenny Goldin

Kenny Goldin Second Unit

Too bad about waitin until Nov. Kind of a small bblessing though...I am so behind in my viewings as it is!

10. Duncan_N

Duncan_N Stunt Coordinator

You can buy the Finale (The Truth) on UK R2 if you don't want all of season nine.

11. Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin Screenwriter

I was thinking the same about a stand-alone release of the finale, I wouldn't buy the whole Season 9 box just for that episode, especially at the high price FOX puts on these sets.

12. Randy Gray

Randy Gray Stunt Coordinator

Speaking Of The X Files, does anyone know why these box sets cost so much more than other series with the same amount of discs? I was thinking about buing them until I saw the price.

- Randy

13. Dustin James

Dustin James Stunt Coordinator

14. Jim Pattison

Jim Pattison Agent

I have all of the first seven seasons on imported Japanese laser discs (at a couple of hundred dollars per half-season set), so when I saw the first set of DVDs, I thought "Wow, these are really cheap!"

Now, a couple of years later (with several dozen TV DVD sets in my collection), I look at the X-Files DVDs and think, "Wow, these are really over-priced!"

It's amazing how your perspective can change over time.