What's new

X-files on BD anytime soon ? (1 Viewer)

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
A shame they are not OAR, but it seems the "I need my TV filled" brigade are likely to outnumber OAR advocates. Was hoping they may release both. In any event I would expect this may be talked about by the producers nearer the time so we will see what they say.One positive may be that if they are going back to the original negative to extract a wide image, would this not mean that effects will have to be redone in HD?

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
I kinda understand 1.78:1 when it comes to HDTV channels, since they probably want to re-run the series and satisfy the new generation. But it should be 4:3 on Blu-ray. We all watched the series in that ratio.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If the series was originally shot with 1.78:1 in mind, like early seasons of Law and Order and ER, I have no problem with Fox going back and making the show widescreen for blu.

But if they just tilt and scan it to fill the screen, screw that noise, the old DVDs will suffice.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Jari K said:
"...but I guess if they're not cropping it, it's not a total disaster"What do mean? They can create 1.78.1 without cropping the 4:3 image?
Open Matte. Buffy is an example of this. While Angel was shot and framed for 16:9 starting in Season 2, Buffy from Season4 on (same time) stayed in 4:3. But using the same editing bay and equipment, it was actually shot in 16:9, with directors framing it for 4:3. Joss has said he wanted it 4:3, but in Europe, Buffy Seasons 4-7 all aired in 16:9, and depending on the director, several episodes were obviously framed with this in mind...

Several sets of Buffy were sold (in Europe only) framed at 16:9. The only episodes that per canon, by Joss, are 16:9 are: Once More with Feeling and the final episode.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"We've already seen it a hundred times in 4:3."From Blu-ray? Really?My point is that I have seen many films/series from tv, vhs, dvd etc, but I still want the Blu-ray version. Like I said, they'll probably show the series in 1.78:1 at some point in HDTV channel, so people can always watch it there.And link to the "originally shot and framed in 1.78:1" argument would be nice. Important thing here is the framing/composition..

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Jari K said:
And link to the "originally shot and framed in 1.78:1" argument would be nice. Important thing here is the framing/composition..
I don't see anyone saying that the show was framed at 1.78 but yes, the framing is what should count and in the case of this show, it's clearly intended to be seen at 1.33. You can look at almost any 1.78 shot from any season (early or late) and you can draw a square in the middle of the image where the characters/props/effects are located and the edges of the frames have nothing but empty space.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
The Obsolete Man said:
If the series was originally shot with 1.78:1 in mind, like early seasons of Law and Order and ER, I have no problem with Fox going back and making the show widescreen for blu.

But if they just tilt and scan it to fill the screen, screw that noise, the old DVDs will suffice.
The first three seasons of ER were not necessarily shot with widescreen in mind. I think I'm remembering correctly that they just went back and opened up the sides--and did some cropping of the top and bottom--for the DVD (and because of that very cropping, they had to re-do the post-teaser on-screen credits to avoid them being cropped out of the picture). I remember seeing a review of season 1 or 2 that showed comparison shots of the broadcast version vs DVD and there definitely was additional horizontal image, as well as vertical cropping, and also showed an example or two of the re-made on-screen guest star credits).

I'm pretty sure the first season of ER to be shot/composed for widescreen is the fourth.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
Jari K said:
"We've already seen it a hundred times in 4:3."From Blu-ray? Really?My point is that I have seen many films/series from tv, vhs, dvd etc, but I still want the Blu-ray version. Like I said, they'll probably show the series in 1.78:1 at some point in HDTV channel, so people can always watch it there.And link to the "originally shot and framed in 1.78:1" argument would be nice. Important thing here is the framing/composition..
Post#19 in this thread may explain what they're doing: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/319803-tv-shows-and-tv-movies-gone-w-i-d-e/

WadeM

Supporting Actor
I'm all for OAR, but whether you agree or not, it explains what they're doing.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
That's what I get. The show was shot on 35mm and cropped for the TV frame. So you aren't losing anything from the original broadcast frame. And suddenly a TV show is a more cinematic experience.Keep your old tapes, but I'll take the show in Blu-ray with the wider frame. Reminds me of all the controversy over Kubrick film framing and what his intentions were versus what audience ultimately saw. Nothing is every written in stone when it comes to formats, particularly from the artists who created it and were often limited from what they really wanted. Watch Chris Carter whole-heartedly endorse this (and not just for the bucks!).

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Season 5+ were in 16:9 to begin with.

Furthermore Seasons 8 and 9 were originally broadcast using Fox's Not-really HDTV thing they had at the time.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"That's what I get. The show was shot on 35mm and cropped for the TV frame."To me it sounds that you don't really necessarily "get it". It's not about the negative ratio - it's about the framing/composition and how the film/series was originally shown. That's the OAR.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I've been on the set with cinematographers and directors on both studio features and television shows, including ones I've scripted, so I know all about OAR. You miss my point that a television OAR is a compromise to begin with for many DPs, who aspire for a more cinematic presentation. I'm just predicting Carter and his DPs will have the final say on this and watch them bless the non-OAR.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Of course eventually someone is making that final decision, but these decisions are not always 100% correct or 100% true to the original vision.Even Carter can't change history. He can only change the future. Truth? Out there...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Hollywoodaholic said:
I'm just predicting Carter and his DPs will have the final say on this and watch them bless the non-OAR.
I hate that the show is going widescreen but since Carter was presumably good with the S5 to 9 DVDs being widescreen, I'm sure he'll be good with the early seasons doing the same thing.

RossMan

Stunt Coordinator
In case some have not seen yet...

New HD broadcasts of the X-Files have started in Germany...

Screencaps:
http://thewertzone.blogspot.com/2014/01/the-x-files-gets-hd-makeover.html

More screencaps:
http://forum.cinefacts.de/208508-akte-x-die-serie-bald-auf-blu-ray-10.html#post7966465

More:
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/58612

Also, Robert Rodriguez's new "El Rey" network (http://www.elreynetwork.com/) will start showing the X-Files in February. Here's hoping they might be the new HD transfers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks