What's new

#*@X&$ !! daylight savings time got me again! (1 Viewer)

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
ARG! It's not 9:30am! I don't have to rush to meet this contractor at 10! It's 8:30am and I could have slept LATER! And now I have an hour to fill with nothing... ARG! How come no one told me last night about this?! They should make a giant announcement, set off flares, blow air raid warning horns or some damned thing!

Imagine a long string of expletives here, one after the next!

Goldarn daylight savings time! :angry:

MC

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

I saw/heard all sorts of announcements over the past two days...tv, radio, newspapers, internet...were you paying attention? :)

Robert_Z

Screenwriter

That's funny I never heard anything either. I guess college football games and horror movie DVDs don't broadcast too many daylight savings time advisories. ;)

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
What I'm worried about is that I wake around 5:30 AM every weekday morning on my own (habit from my daughter's infant days) and wonder if I'll be getting up at 4:30 now! :eek:

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
I wish the powers that be that mandated this stupid time change would just PICK A TIME AND STICK WITH IT!!

It's like guaranteed jet lag at least twice a year, and it usually manages to screw everything up.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Really, Everyone says that you get an extra hour of sleep. Lot of good that does after staying up to 2:00am to change the clock! :D

While they are at it, do away with time zones. Just make one time for the whole Earth. In this global economy, it would save a lot of confusion.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Seriously, what would it take to put an END to the time changes twice a year??? Having it change right now is especially stupid since it already gets dark earlier with the time left the way it is. I saw an old movie theater trailer from around the 1930s with these two hicks trying to explain what time it really was to each other, followed by a message to vote for stopping the time changes. Whatever became of that?

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
It gets worse every year. Congress passed an Act to extend Daylight Saving Time by a week, and Indiana [where, up to now, half the state has had DST and the other half has not, so they're in the same time zone half the year] is now mandating it over the whole state, but each town will get to choose what time zone it's in. Whose interest does this serve? It doesn't really conserve energy, since the additional evening daylight hour is balanced out by an hour of morning darkness, and it doesn't extend working hours considering that the whole country has electric light.

On the other hand, I'm not sure abolishing Zone Time is the way to go. Critical applications all use Greenwich anyway, and one would hate to be in the same situation as Russia, which may still be on the old Soviet rule of "Moscow time plus 3 hours DST everywhere, all year round." Considering that it's noon in St. Petersburgh and midnight in Vladivostock simultaneously, one can understand their economic problems!

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I thought it was China that had a "one time fits all" system? Which is fine on the east coast, where most major cities are, but in the hinterland it must be pretty weird.

I got somewhat caught out like Micah did -- I was on holiday in New Zealand a few weeks ago when they switched to daylight savings, but we weren't sure which night it was to change, so I woke up unnecessarily early the day before the switch.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Wikipedia says Vladivostok is +7 Moscow, which has the same time zone as St. Petersburg, so you may be a bit off (because I know Wikipedia has been wrong before).

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
I know China uses Peking time everywhere now, but I do recall that the Russians at least used to do the same thing. I think it must have something to do with planned economies.

Actually, Vladivostock isn't the farthest east of the Russian Far East, and Petrograd isn't farthest west: Uelen, abour 165 W, and Vyborg in Karelia, about 25 E, seem to be the appropriate points. Riga really is 180 degrees from the farthest east point in Russia, but Latvia is independent now. Kaliningrad, Koenigsburg as was, is farther west than Riga, and the Ukrainian Carpathians [also formerly included in the USSR] are at about the same meridian. This according to my brand-new National Geographic map of the world.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
HAHA...I was wondering why it was so bright outside at 7:30am today, and I just now remembered why.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I HATE this DST thing!

I was supposed to be at my parents house at 8am Sunday morning...I didn't set any of my clocks back (Sat. night), so when I woke up Sunday morning, my clock said 8:15am and I thought "Oh, good 7:15am, I've got plenty of time" - little did I realize that my alarm clock was one that automatically adjusts for DST so it really WAS 8:15am :angry: I'm up for doing anything to get rid of it. The stress it causes is not worth any advatage we get from it. I mean, nobody has the exact same schedule, so who cares if we get more light in the morning (or at night)? If you're still in bed (or at work) when the sun goes up (or down) what does DST matter????

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
So I slept in until what would have been 5 pm on Sunday but was justifiable because it was actually instead 4 pm. Then I tried going to bed at a reasonable hour in other to get up at 6:30 am this morning. I'm running on about one hour of sleep right now. Needless to say, I'd rather have had that extra hour last night instead of tonight!:)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Apparently the breeders. They don't want their little devils having to walk to the bus/school in the dark in the morning. :rolleyes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks