x-box with projector

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Greg Rooney, Oct 16, 2003.

1. Greg Rooney

Greg Rooney Auditioning

Has anyone used a x-box with a projector?
    Does it look good? I am thinking of a 16:9 ratio
    projector with ~95" screen sitting ~ 13 feet back.
    The theater is in the basement so I have very good light
    control. Also any thoughts on which projector in the
    $3000 range.
    Thanks

2. Dave_Olds

Dave_Olds Stunt Coordinator

Good?....no.
    Great?..YES..!!! [​IMG]

I use Xbox with my lowly AE100, 16:9 84" wide screen and its just fantastic. Totally immersive. Football is like you are on the field and the sensation of speed is incredible, both in sports and racing....

IMO, XBOX was designed for this sort of setup. It works great...If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask....But since any current projector is better than my AE100 - I dont see how you can go wrong...

3. Greg Rooney

Greg Rooney Auditioning

Do projectors have a DVI hookup?
    I saw in the official Xbox mag that some
    company is making a DVI adaptor for the Xbox
    a wondered if this would yield the best picture?
    I am now using component video and optical conectors.
    thanks

4. Greg Rooney

Greg Rooney Auditioning

what games? or type of games? Or company?
    Are most good?
    I will try and find the info on the DVI tonight.

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    If you can get a projector with a long bulb life then so much the better, especially if you play for hours on end.

6. Jon_Miller

Jon_Miller Auditioning

Actually, playing Xbox on a big 16:9 projector would'nt be THAT great. For one, most Xbox games don't even support 16:9, most are just 4:3 480p. Thus if you display 480p in native 4:3 on a 16:9 screen, the image will be distorted -- stretched horizontally, and quite dramatically. For the most part, the only games for the Xbox that actually support widescreen are 720p and 1080i games, such as ETM, and DS3D, and SC2. For the majority of Xbox games, 4:3 is still the better choice.

7. Joey

Joey Stunt Coordinator

Wouldn't the aspect ratio of a 4:3 game on a 16:9 screen remain 4:3? That is, you'll get black bars on the side? The image wouldn't be distorted, and it'll be the biggest 4:3 screen possible on that 16:9.

I have my XBox connected to my Sony 36XBR800, and the TV switches from 16:9 mode to 4:3 mode automatically depending on the signal from the XBox (which obviously depends on the game). I assume that the case is the same with a 16:9 screen (auto-switching).

Madden 2004 is in 16:9 and NHL 2004 is in 4:3 and my set switches between the two automatically.

8. David Broome

David Broome Stunt Coordinator

As long as you set the PJ correctly (tell it it is receinvg a 4:3 image), it will display correctly. And yes it is incredible. Playing Halo on a 100 screen is awesome, especially when the three people complain that their 1/4 of the screen on multiplayer is bigger than their WHOLE screen when playing by themselves at home.

And in Project Gotham, when I raced my dad and brother on a San Francisco course, they had to get up and leave because it was too real and made them sick :)

9. Dave_Olds

10. Dave_Olds

11. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

SOmeone take a fewe pictures of madden or something..I think that'll be da bomb for me...grab your digital camera,..come on..your killin me![​IMG] tom

12. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    Sorry I don't have a camera, but I do have an X1 and I play my X-Box on a 92" 16 X 9 screen. I love it! It's fun playing Unreal Championship against my friends when they can't see me because their screens are too small![​IMG]

I don't have a problem with any of my games looking distorted. I have my X-Box set on 16 X 9 mode and so is my projector (even though it is native 4:3). Soul Calibur II (I just can't seem to spell that right) is the only game for me so far to display black bars on the sides.

If you have the $$$$$ do your research on some PJ's and pull the trigger, you won't regret it. And you also get the benefit of watching movies on a big screen as well.[​IMG]

George

13. Greg Rooney

Greg Rooney Auditioning

I think I was mistaken when I saw info on a DVI adaptor.
    It was actually what is called the Neoya X2VGA adaptor.
    I still wonder if the VGA signal would give a better picture than the componet video cables I use now?
    (I use the Microsoft adaptor and cables)
    It sounds like a projector will work well with my Xbox.
    Thanks.